PDA

View Full Version : A Wipeout Clone On Its Way?

satriani
5th March 2002, 12:38 PM
To those of you living in the UK. Did anyone see Thumb Bandits Friday 1st? They had an interview with the head of Argonaut and he was talking about the resurrection of a game called 'Overdrive' (I think, it was late!). He was saying that this was the precursor to Wipeout and that they were bringing it back (can't remmember the format either which helps!). They showed what I thought was a mix of gameplay and FMV and I hate to say it looked mindblowing. Anyone know anything/ I've had a look around the forums and can't find any mention. Answers on a postcard PLEASE

Thruster2097
5th March 2002, 12:55 PM
*pass*
I try to keep a close eye on anything remotley wipeout related, and as far as I know, there is no more futuristic racers lined up for ps2 (except star wars podracing 2) so it might be the project what nick burcombe was hinting about for the x-box.
If anyone has more detils, please let us all know, because it might just get interesting...

satriani
5th March 2002, 01:03 PM
The publisher is definitely Argonaut. My grey, fuzzy memory thinks X-Box but as I said I don't know. I've checked Argonauts site and there's nothing there, so maybe it's been outsourced.

Lance
5th March 2002, 02:13 PM
does Nick still work for Curly Monsters?

satriani
6th March 2002, 04:52 PM
I got the name of the game but that's about it. It's not Overdrive but Powerdrome, and we're looking at an old Amiga game developed by a company called Particle who have recently been taken over by Argonaut, still no idea what platform its being developed for though. I'll keep you all posted the more info I get. :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: satriani on 2002-03-06 17:54 ]</font>

Lance
7th March 2002, 06:40 AM
i have a PC version of a development stage of a game called Powerdrome. it's very primitive, and the attitude control with the mouse is way too sensitive and non-adjustable at this point. but this may be the conversion of the Amiga game you mention.

Nick Burcombe
13th March 2002, 11:35 AM
Not us. We're doing Quantum Redshift.
I've made a post about it under "NICK BURCOMBE - NEW WIPEOUT GAME" disucssion.

Nick B

satriani
13th March 2002, 12:24 PM
Just got a reply back today from Particle Systems, they are only prepared to say that Powerdrome is in development and that is it, thier company's director will not allow any other info out! So both Argonaut and Particle are keeping shtum. I tried.

gary
13th March 2002, 01:18 PM
can they make a wipeoutfusion sequel any better?!

satriani
13th March 2002, 01:23 PM
Now that's a reply I didn't expect. Har, har!

infoxicated
13th March 2002, 01:24 PM
huh!? :wink:

satriani
13th March 2002, 01:31 PM
I did ask if they wanted any testers, no reply to that one either.