PDA

View Full Version : Any new contests in the way?

Shem
29th June 2004, 04:02 PM
Damn, I just checked "The fastest with the slowest" topic if the contest was still running, and I was late. I managed to supply myself with a PSOne for the contest. So.. Will there be a new contest this week?
I'm all ready for action, and since this will be my last week at home, there will be no better way but to spend it racing with all the fellow wipers out here. After that I'll be gone till September. So, any ideas anyone?

G'Kyl
29th June 2004, 04:10 PM
I'm all up for a new challenge as well. I just don't think we should make them for their own sake but for the sake of a satisfying contest. Which in turn means giving it some time to grow on good ideas. :)

I was thinking about that earlier. Maybe we should start collecting some ideas about how the next challenge should look like. Where do you guys want to race, in what craft and at which speed?

Having said that, there is of course no reason you shouldn't offer a challengen of your own if you like. :)

Ben

Asayyeah
29th June 2004, 05:16 PM
I think we could maintain the idea from Lance to include TT + SR for the next challenge.
About the class why won't we start by a lower class than phantom for having a tougher competition?
About the craft, Ag's could be a good suggestion, it's the one who has got the poorest shield, and then could be explosed more often ( to acheive a crtitical & psychological dimension during the races :lol: )
For the track it could depend on which class we choose. 2 suggestions :
Ag's Venom Gare d'Europa ( slow class with an hard track in searching to avoid the missiles&rockets in SR and also finding the perfect lines in TT)
Ag's Rapier Sagarmatha ( easy track with quite fast class) : In SR in this track you have the shield icon quiet very often so there could be a good tactic having a shield icon and get it at the right moment to avoid missiles or discard it in hoping to get a turbo weapon on the others ( X ).

How d'ya feel that?

Task
29th June 2004, 06:31 PM
Generally, whoever it is that really _wants_ a challenge, is the best person to start it.
Shem, since you're all fired up for a good challenge, start one!
Put a bit of thought into it, figure out what it is that you want to practice, and craft a good challenge around that base concept.
3... 2... 1... GO!

Lance
29th June 2004, 07:27 PM
on Gare d'Europa, the slow classes mean that the bumps at the end of the jump make it absolutely detestable and not worth racing a lot, which you would have to do in a challenge

Shem
29th June 2004, 07:44 PM
Sure, why not?
I always wanted to learn how to drive the bullet-brick.
To develop this idea - I say, fly it on Hi-Fumi. The track seems to be difficult (especially the tunnel section). Race Time would be the one that counts the most since it would make the racing even more difficult and frustrating (most likely). Add to it the fact that Qirex's handling is poor, and here it is:

"The Bullet-Brick contest"

Rules:
- Game Version : Wipeout 3 SE (PAL)
- Race Mode : TT
- Racing Class : Phantom
- Craft : Qirex aka "Bullet-Brick"
- Track : Hi-Fumi
- The one with the best Race Time wins.
- Shortcuts are allowed

My idea of this contest is rough enough, that's why I think others could bring their own ideas. The most popular one would be chosen as THE contest.
Asayyeah's contest idea is really good, I'd sign under his one. Tough competition - *IS MOST IMPORTANT*.

Or maybe look at this -
A swiched reverse version of Lance's latest contest? Meaning, flying Icaras at Venom?
I need to think about it. What are your suggestions?

Asayyeah
29th June 2004, 08:45 PM
Lance : you can avoid the bumps by pitching up & down the nose in a good way before the big jump and for landing after this one you shouldn't down your nose during the jump and hit ' up' just before landing...

ShemChanging from version is a good way to proove our skill , besides i love W3se ( 2nd after 2097), and the ' bullet brick' souds good to me :) , but for a tough competition , we could probably lower the class a little bit ( Rapier or Venom) to allow most of the people to have small differences between eachothers...

Shem
29th June 2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah, that's a good idea Asayyeah, but then again the name would have to be changed to "Flying Brick Contest" since there'd be no Bullet speed anymore :wink:
Still awaiting some ideas.

stin
29th June 2004, 09:35 PM
Pretty well actually great idea!!!, well on a safe side is stick to Venom or Rapier so everybody give a good chance and lastly no shortcuts so make it perfectly legal that way :wink:

I`m in for it! since Lance started it and I`m right into it now! :o

I`m game guys! :D

stin :D

Lance
29th June 2004, 09:36 PM
Arnaud, maybe that's the way it works in 2097, but in XL classes below Rapier, you are going to bump, especially in Vector. or at least i am going to bump. i think i've tried every amount and timing of nose up possible, and never fail to bump in the slow classes. i absolutely hate driving G d'E in Vector.

btw, specifying WO3SE leaves out probably all but 2 of the racers in the Americas. i know Task and Al can race that version, but i'm not sure anyone else can. anybody?

Shem
29th June 2004, 10:03 PM
Lance :
If there are no timing differences between PAL and NTSC versions of W3OSE, then I'm all for changing the rules. But for now, I'm not so sure about that (as XL was faster than 2097 as an example) so let's just stick to either PAL or NTSC.

Stindah:
You're on! 8) I thought that not allowing to shortcut would provoke ppl to use shortcuts. That's why I though of allowing to shortcut. Just to avoid the problem. But if we're to race legal, then surely - NO SHORTCUTS. I leave the choice to everyone on this one. The last thing is to specify the Racing Class. Venom or Rapier?

Lance
29th June 2004, 10:54 PM
XL was not faster than 2097

Shem
30th June 2004, 07:33 AM
I checked the NTSC and PAL XL and 2097 tables, I browsed the forums in search of this issue, and I found nothing. Maybe I missed it, but I have no time to go through every framrate related topic on XL/2097 forums. Anyway, I have both NTSC XL and PAL 2097. And I can assure you Lance that XL is faster than PAL 2097. It becouse of the NTSC-PAL differences.
To make it clear and quite simple - NTSC - 60 Hz, PAL - 50 Hz plus the screen resolution for NTSC is 736x480, for PAL is 736x592 [that's why some NTSC games look like 'streched out' vertically compared to their PAL versions, while sometimes converting an NTSC game to PAL results in adding black 'widescreen' stripes on the screen, but that's irrelevant at this point]. However I don't know if Wipeout XL/2097 runs at "full frame" (60/50 FPS) or "1.5 framerate" (30/25 FPS). BTW, sorry for some strange terms of "frames" but this is how we call this in PL, I just don't know the equivalent term for it. Anyways - now it should be obvious that NTSC XL runs faster than PAL 2097. Theoreticly that would give the "PAL" ppl more reaction time. And this brings me to the most important Issue.
The IN GAME CLOCK. I don't know if developers have sped up the clock for NTSC (becouse of 10/5 extra frames per second). If they didn't that would mean the clock works at the same speed as in PAL. But NTSC would be still faster, hence those who play NTSC would have had better times than those who play PAL. I can't judge by the Record Tables for both XL and 2097. That's why I'm not so sure about this whole Clock Issue. Maybe developers cranked up the clock, maybe they didn't. If the differences are barely visible, then I don't care. But this doesn't change the fact that NTSC games are faster then their PAL versions :)

Lance
30th June 2004, 09:15 AM
based on the actual performances of the top pilots and how close their best times are and how quickly they can improve them [which is a measure of ultimate potential speed], the best possible times for the two versions seem very close to each other. it would appear that the game developers made adjustments to compensate for any framerate differences between NTSC and PAL.

there is of course no wo3se in ntsc form, so we can make no comparisons there. on regular wo3, the jury is most definitely brawling in the back room. nothing clear to me yet on wo3

Wiseman
30th June 2004, 09:48 AM
I have 2 ideas for "The Bullet-Brick contest" ...

- Game Version : Wipeout (NTSC & PAL)
- Racing Class : Rapier
- Craft : Qirex
- Track : Silverstream

:lol:

- Game Version : Wipeout 3 (NTSC & PAL)
- Racing Class : Phantom
- Craft : Icaras
- Track : LS103-AW72

(bwa ha ha ha haaaaaa.....)

Shem
30th June 2004, 12:41 PM
:D
Nice one brova, nice one. Whoever handles Qirex on Silverstream should be given a medal. A contest surely worth taking part in. The question is if everyone has W'O Original..... Anyways, consider me taking part in the first contest of yours. Great idea!

BTW: how about creating a multipart contest this time? I mean to challenge the most difficult track in every Wipeout with a piece of poor steering russian AG machine?

G'Kyl
30th June 2004, 04:33 PM
It's a nice idea for the more experienced drivers here, but I believe it is more likely to draw people away from taking part, as they might not have the stomach to get frustrated over and over again for about a week. ;)

Lance
30th June 2004, 06:32 PM
i wonder if it would be workable to have a contest, not for us, but for people who are not in the top ten. a sort of newbie class where they wouldn't have to compete against any record holders. this would give them a chance to develop their skills and to later join in the more difficult contests. it might help promote the health and activity of the racing community

G'Kyl
30th June 2004, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I've done some thinking about that. It is somethign difficult to achieve. For one there would have to be enuogh people from the "inexperienced group" who are willing to take part in a contest in the first place. Secondly, were do you draw the line? Some of the long-time members who have always taken part in challenges, even with not so good results as Arnaud and Mano might not welcome the idea of beeing put into the "B-Group", and some of those who never do challenges may be as good as some of the best and so not willing to take part as well. Difficult, yes? ;)

stin
30th June 2004, 09:05 PM
Shem!, Yeah to make it more competitive so we can enjoy it. Mind you you just started it. How about to make a vote of which level are we playing then you can decide. :)

Wiseman; LOL! then you must be an expert on these tracks!! :roll: but don`t get me wrong it`s sounds pretty good stuff and you never know.....

G'Kyl; Yeah sounds like a tough one over the professionals don`t forget Al is one of them too! so how about play like a handicap? to make it more competitive? 8) well what do you think?

stin 8)

G'Kyl
30th June 2004, 09:59 PM
Then we'd have to give everyone a different handicap...

Hmmm, coming to think about it, there is actually a way this could be fun. Take the positions of everyone in the tables and give them a handicap which would be soemthing like 3 minutes minus their best race time, and let newbies fly without handicap. There sure would be some newcomers enjoying top positions in such a challenge, simply because they might just not have entered their times yet but are good enough to keep up with the best, but then this could (!) serve the idea of drawing new people into active competition.

Shem
30th June 2004, 10:22 PM
Stindah : good point, now to make it happen:

Let's VOTE !!

My vote :
Venom Class (I thought of Rapier a while, but for the sake of a good competition....)

The 'official' contest starts just after announcing the results of the vote. A new topic with final rules will be created, where everyone will post their results.

Wiseman : You're on! I will race even if it means competing only with you. It's about time to clean this dusted W'O Original CD, burst some fire out of that huge Qirex engine and show what we're capable of. It'll be a challenge I've never really experienced before. We meet on the track Wiseman !

Shem
2nd July 2004, 10:39 AM
Awright, it seems it was a bad idea (no response). Therefore this contest will be canceled. I'll just beat some times since I have so little time.

G'Kyl
2nd July 2004, 11:27 AM
A pitty you wanna cancel the whole contest. Just make a challenge, Shem. I'll be in whatever it is gonna be. :)

element42
2nd July 2004, 01:51 PM
hey, i'm a newbie and i'd love to enter a contest! it scares the hell out of me thinking about flying a qirex in phantom! I haven't even had time to unlock phantom since i got the games! go on, do a venom contest that i have shot at. :D

Shem
2nd July 2004, 08:28 PM
Freakin' hell....
Element42 - three magic words you need to know:
- Jazznaz
- Avinit
- Wizzpig
Use them as your default name and you're ready to challenge.

G'kyl:
We'll race then. Even if we are to race both eachother. All in all there's gotta be a challenge in this place....
Now....
We roll....

stin
2nd July 2004, 10:58 PM
Hey Shem! I`m sorry about that cos I`d finished for the last two days through work very late! :( but I`m still there :wink: and ready for you!.

So what`s happening?

stin :)

element42
5th July 2004, 06:56 AM
are they cheat codes for the wipeouts?
anyway, despite my huge desire to enter some sort of contest and get hugely fried, i realise several things: I only have net access at work, i work in a school, and term ends this week. so i won't be able to post any times i get even if i did try. :( never mind. i'll be back (and maybe even slightly good, i will be spending all my time practicing) in september.