PDA

View Full Version : REALLY old stuff!

G'Kyl
14th June 2004, 02:42 PM
LOL: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1247&item=5102129686&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW.
Hey, there may even be a Wipeout version among the Saturn stuff... ;-)

Roger
14th June 2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I've been drooling over it for the past 30 minutes. ME WANT! :o

Shem
14th June 2004, 03:29 PM
I'll take it all, wire it up, and create a home made version of Matrix mainframe.

G'Kyl
14th June 2004, 04:58 PM
Four of the computers are already networked, that should be a good start. ;-)

yuusen
14th June 2004, 06:05 PM

that is a lot of stuff.

this is a lot of stuff too. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8111352149)

¥

Shem
14th June 2004, 06:52 PM
yeah, and the starting bid is 'only' $ 100.000.00. What a bargain.

EDIT:
I bet that guy robbed a cargo of videogames stuff, and now he tries to make a living selling it at once. Good luck. He shoulda gone for Adidas clothings, he'd sell them with no sweat...

Roger
14th June 2004, 07:08 PM
I read about this auction on Slashdot. The seller seems OK, strictly positive feedback from the eBay crowd.

The auction is one "mother load" of rare stuff. EVERYTHING seems to be CiB or NiB, pristine quality. If I'd only won the lottery last saturday, I'd put a bid on the lot, 'cause hey - there's a pink "Hello Kitty" Dreamcast in there :P
--
Edit: i was of course referring to the second auction, the one in Hong Kong

Lance
14th June 2004, 07:15 PM
jeez, the japanese guy even has games for a Pippin!

and a Dreamcast demo system!

as a fanboy of Sega and Japanese idiosyncracy, there's a lot of stuff there i'd love to have, or at least see in person.
no Sega CDX, though. a disappointment, that. no Neptune, either. sigh. but the transparent coloured Dreamcasts, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

stin
14th June 2004, 07:34 PM
:o :o :o :o EEeeeeeerrrrmmm.that is ALOT of stuff!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

I wouldn`t mind to have that Sega Saturn!!!!!!! friggen minted!!!!!!

BTW I wonder how much would it cost to deliver? :o

stin :)

Wiseman
14th June 2004, 09:23 PM
Man, I wouldn't mind having some of that stuff myself, from both of those auctions.

Too bad they aren't selling the stuff independently.... oh well.

yuusen
14th June 2004, 09:28 PM

speakin of vintage. does anyone own/have-a-friend-that-owns/have-a-friend-that-hangs-around-warehouses-trying-not-to-look-suspicious -in-order-to-aquire an amiga 1200?

id like to get my hands on one in order to sample its voice (used in 2097). no, i wont settle for a software synth.

¥

Silent Blue
14th June 2004, 09:30 PM
Amiga? Pah.

Atari ST all the way. ;)

science
14th June 2004, 11:57 PM
Good...God...
Is there really 100K worth of shite in that second auction? or 100 pounds worth of shite in the firs one, for that matter?
Why don't you all flood their mailboxes with requests to split it up ;)

Hybrid Divide
15th June 2004, 12:03 AM
:o
And LOOK! They have KRAZY IVAN!

AWSOME!

And that second one seems to have TEST Playstations and TEST PS2's!

Man, it'd be nice to get the dev tools for the wipEout games. :D

Shem
15th June 2004, 04:31 AM
KRAZY IVAN?
Sorry to spoil you the perfect image of this game, but that one is one of the worst games I played ever. Yes, there is some Cold Storage music within, yes, there are some gigant mechs, and most of all, there's plenty of FMV as well. BUT! - the music is crappy, the gigant mechs are bosses of each level (and are also so dumb that they cannot handle you while you strafe any way), and the FMVs are worth of watching it one time only (i still remember these stupid jokes of Ivan's - "it's a piece of pie..."). Well, anyways, if you consider it worth purchasing, give it a try and see for yourself. It's not like I haven't warned you :wink:

And one more thing - there's a shot of Super Famicom (as the seller proclaims). It shows a BIG PC-like tower, which would rather fit a sillicon graphics graphic station.
I always thought Famicom was just another name for NES. Super Famicom was SNES. So why growing so big? (I had to question it)

G'Kyl
15th June 2004, 04:48 AM
Amiga? Pah.

Atari ST all the way. ;)

Oh, but I thought the war was over... ;) Honestly speaking, I am one of those guys who possessed an ST, and nobody should claim to have a better machine until hell itself would freeze...! Then, some years later, I finally laid my hands on Amiga software and to my own surprise started to realize the thing over my eyes had actually been a blindfold. *g*

Anyway, those were the times, and the ST WAS a geat machine!! I still dust it off and get it running for a game of F1GP or Epic every once in a while.

Oh, before I forget; welcome to the forums, Silent Blue. :)

Ben

Wiseman
15th June 2004, 08:01 AM
Answering Shem's question on the PC sized Super Famicom, it's that big because it is a developers kit, not an actual Super Famicom itself. It was made for developers so they could make games for the system.

Hybrid Divide
15th June 2004, 08:15 AM
Shem

I happened to like the music from KRAZY IVAN.
It didn't play that well, but it's still one I'd like to have in my collection. :)

Wiseman
15th June 2004, 08:29 AM
I'd put a bid on the lot, 'cause hey - there's a pink "Hello Kitty" Dreamcast in therePink:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4313&item=8110717905&rd=1

Blue:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8111466306&rd=1

:lol:

AmishRobot
15th June 2004, 08:30 AM
Looks like maybe ebay got some complaints over the developement systems in the Hong Kong auction, and took it all down. What a shame!

There was some ridiculously cool stuff in there. I wonder how the seller came across much of it. I mean, I didn't think the M2 dev systems ever actually existed; certainly not the kind of thing you just "happen upon".

It's time like these that I wish (more than usual) that I was stinking rich. I would love to buy that up and open a museum! :)

infoxicated
15th June 2004, 08:35 AM
It's obviously me showing my age, but I got a great feeling of nostalgia looking at the auction with all the spectrums and commodore stuff in there. :)

My mum gave my Speccy away to a poor family a few years back - they couldn't afford a PlayStation for the kids' xmas, so my mum took my Spectrum +2 out of the cupboard, along with two cases of games, and gave it to them. A nice gesture, I know, but I have a feeling they would have been exceptionally underwhelmed by the sucktacular graphics and playability of the games! :lol:

You can never go back, though - I cant even stomach most PS1 games other than Wipeout 3, and although I spent years on both my Spectrum and Amiga's, I've been spoiled too much over the last couple of years to see their games as anything other than primitive.

AmishRobot
15th June 2004, 09:04 AM
You can never go back, though
Personally, I've found that there's a cutoff where the graphics and gameplay are so simplistic that they gain a "zen" quality and become good again. I can't stand most PS1 games save Wipeout either, but I'm always up for 15 minutes of Robotron. :D The technologically advanced games are often the ones that age the worst. A good idea never truly goes out of style.

Then again, I'm another one of the true old farts. I still remember my Magnavox Odyssey (http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm) that I got in '78. Nothing like 10 versions of black and white pong to keep the kids from getting into trouble! :lol:

I believe the spectrum was a distinctly European thing, wasn't it? I've messed with some Commodores and Ataris in my day, but I don't think I've ever seen a Spectrum or Acorn up close. A couple months ago I picked up a UK mag called Retro Gamer, that had a big article covering the history of the Commodore. Pretty interesting.

Silent Blue
15th June 2004, 09:41 AM
Amiga? Pah.

Atari ST all the way. ;)

Oh, but I thought the war was over... ;) Honestly speaking, I am one of those guys who possessed an ST, and nobody should claim to have a better machine until hell itself would freeze...! Then, some years later, I finally laid my hands on Amiga software and to my own surprise started to realize the thing over my eyes had actually been a blindfold. *g*

Anyway, those were the times, and the ST WAS a geat machine!! I still dust it off and get it running for a game of F1GP or Epic every once in a while.

Oh, before I forget; welcome to the forums, Silent Blue. :)

BenThanks ben. ;)

Well, I can't claim to actually own an amiga but chances are i'd stay a loyal ST fan even if I tried one, mainly due to the childhood memories that i've got from the machine. :) I'm only 17 years of age and I remember playing Chase HQ as a kid on the damn thing. Great fun.

Another war before my time was the whole Speccy vs C64 thing. I've currently got a 48k ZX Spectrum set up in my room, and even after playing on a C64 I still prefer the speccy. :)

Shem
15th June 2004, 11:31 AM
I'm a big fan of oldschool. I happened to get involved into PC - Amiga conflict years ago standing on Amiga side. The day the Amiga went away will always stay in my memory.
Then it was Playstation vs. PC until Playstation burned out :cry: Now I don't care on which side I would stand, neither of them I guess, maybe becouse I got into retro so badly. I have plenty of emulators, even arcade, old computer games of which I dremt I'd play them one day. Now there's so many of them, that I find it a terrifying task to play them all (I swear to God, I'll complete every of my 750 SNES games :) ).
The borderline of retro - I'd settle it somewhere between Virtua Fighter ( 1991 I guess). and Tekken 1 (1994 it seems). After that, games just offered nice graphics and less gameplay. Of course there are exceptions like Wipeout, Ridge Racer.....but as far as I noticed, either I'm not turned on by the new games, nor the games just lack of a gameplay. There's nothing new in things I say, I know, but It's always nice to recall the good old times and the history that's bound to it. I still remember the smell of the arcade-arcadia at my old place (before I moved out). It was a smell of cigaretts, beer and big arcade machines running all day. An awful place to play. But it had its charm. And the local bullies who 'borrowed' a coin everytime a newbee came in. Nothing like the big arcade-facilities in Japan, rather a small and dirty Polish version of these. ..... I'd write some more about how my friend and I played to death on his ST (Street Figher, Bomberman [called Dynablaster], Fire and Ice, Another World, Flashback....many, many other games....), but I'll spare you the rest of this story. ... Eh...the good times.....

G'Kyl
15th June 2004, 12:42 PM
But I'd like to hear some of the old stories - only to rush in with some of my own afterwards, of course! ;-) Feel free to PM me. :)

You're right, though, the games were different then. They had simpler rules in terms of the controls as well as game physics, which made them easier to pick up. This, in turn, was far more rewarding as you could instantly have a lot of fun without bothering about what would later be know as learning curves. Since this is what attracts me most I too play a lot of games on emulators, even those that I haven't know in the old days. Note to Silent Blue: This is how I came to appreciate the Amiga - now I own one. :)
Still, one shouldn't forget that much of the highly valued nostalgia really is just that, and not entirely a means to assess modern games as bad pieces of software. I'm saying this merely for the sake of those who seem to lose all objectivness when something like "Giana Sisters" is being mentioned (unfortuanately, I happen to know a lot of them *rolls eyes*).

Ben

Silent Blue
15th June 2004, 05:25 PM
Note to Silent Blue: This is how I came to appreciate the Amiga - now I own one. :)And I can understand that, but I think because of childhood memories i'd always prefer the ST, is all. ^_^

Still wouldn't mind grabbing a C64 for myself, though. I may prefer the speccy but that's not to say I won't have fun with one. Had a shot at Turbo Out-Run on it, surprisingly good.

Lance
15th June 2004, 06:26 PM
ah.. gaming nostalgia. i remember those good old days of my early gaming career. the first time i saw Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi on that Dreamcast back when they were new. sigh. it's been so long since they even made that great old machine.

man, it's been four long years since i got into the gaming scene. how time flies

G'Kyl
15th June 2004, 07:17 PM
Gosh, I always wanted a Dreamcast but never have the money to buy one when I browse through the eBay pages. Even though I have already seen the Shenmue story-wrap-up on the DVD that's been shipped together with part 2, I'd still love to play the ifrst part. Also, there's F355 and....... :)

Lance
15th June 2004, 08:19 PM
F355 is pretty much a must buy for racing fans, and it's better on the Dreamcast than on PS2, or so i'm told. it was designed by Sega for Sega
the father of the game is Suzuki Yu [japanese name order], the same who designed Shenmue, a totally different sort of game, but the idea of complete involvement in the experience is the same.
F355 is tough; you have to be tough, too

G'Kyl
15th June 2004, 10:12 PM
Are you saying I am not? ;-)
Yes, I've heard it's one of the must-haves for every race fan. Why do say it is so involving? I mean, it's a racing game were you race against others cars after all, isn't it? Hmm, it may not sound like it but that's a serious question. Unfortuanately I hardly have an idea of what the game is really like. Reviewers were mostly praising the graphics and the game physics but hardly more than that - as far as I remember.

Ben

Lance
15th June 2004, 11:52 PM
it's involving partly because the graphics and game physics are more convincing than average, as is the sound. driving the car 'feels' the way a real car feels when pushed to its traction limits. the other cars are driven by competent 'drivers' as they would be in real life. you can't make a big mistake and catch up when there are no reduced speed caution flag laps. you err, you lose. your car does not have hugely better performance than anyone else, just like real life. it is this reality all over the place [except for no damage simulation] that makes the experience involving. and you always feel like if you can do just that little bit better, you can finally beat those guys. and the guy in first place is pretty damned good. it's a great feeling to win because you really earned it. it is not a fluke due to stupid game design or a buggy program or getting lucky

xEik
16th June 2004, 08:03 AM
Last summer I just bought a second hand Dremacast because Shenmue 1 & 2 came in the pack (among some other average games).

Silent Blue
16th June 2004, 04:52 PM
I've had my Dreamcast since the UK release date. It's never failed me once. Amazing machine. :)

xEik
17th June 2004, 12:24 AM
I had to open mine and clean it not long after buying it because it would reset now and then. The cause: dirt in electric connectors. :P

science
22nd June 2004, 03:31 AM
They took the big expensive one off! I was going to show it to a friend and its gone!