PDA

View Full Version : 5 recent posts

Rapier Racer
10th May 2004, 12:22 AM
What’s happened to that little bit at above the forum with the newest posts? I can't see it, have I done something, or is it you?

Lance
10th May 2004, 03:09 AM
it isn't you. it's been eliminated intentionally. each forum will still show a 'new post' symbol or the alt text 'new post' [for those with images switched off] if it has had a new post since you last logged in. you can also use the ''View posts since last visit'' option at the upper right corner of the list of forums

G'Kyl
10th May 2004, 04:59 AM
Well... good! Because I thought I had messd something up before I read this post. ;)

Hm, but why eliminate it when it made browsing the forums SO much easier. I can hardly have been an annoyance for anyone, or can it?

Ben

EDIT: Oh, and what's worse is that when I click a thread to read I don't get "forwarded" (dunno what it's called) to the first new post.

zargz
10th May 2004, 09:00 AM
Hm, but why eliminate it when it made browsing the forums SO much easier. I can hardly have been an annoyance for anyone, or can it? I think it's good thing it's gone 8)

infoxicated
10th May 2004, 12:10 PM
EDIT: Oh, and what's worse is that when I click a thread to read I don't get "forwarded" (dunno what it's called) to the first new post.
You do if you click on this guy http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/templates/subSilver/images/icon_latest_reply.gif

I think the Glance mod, as it is known, has made visitors to the site lazy. That is, they don't visit the individual forums and they tend not to start their own topics because it's easier just to click on the active topics and say "me too" or "I agree".

So I thought we'd do without it for a while and see what took shape. :)

G'Kyl
10th May 2004, 12:38 PM
You do if you click on this guy http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/templates/subSilver/images/icon_latest_reply.gif

Oh. ... ;)

I hope your strategy to get more people to write will work out. I find it interesting to know how people seem to browse websites, though. Maybe I should start my own one - just for the stats. ;)

Ben

Mano
11th May 2004, 03:58 AM
I think its going to backfire, if someone doesnt want to post something (lazy, busy, nothing to say, etc.) they at least want to read whats new; and if you remove something that made this comfortable and faster, they might not even read new posts coz they dont want to take much time searching for the new ones in every section of the forums; but well if this is being tested, actual experience will show true results; unlike me, im only assuming.

rejj
11th May 2004, 05:39 AM
I have no problems with it. It's easy enough to see where the new threads are from the main forum page, anyway.

yuusen
11th May 2004, 06:31 PM

I think the Glance mod, as it is known, has made visitors to the site lazy. That is, they don't visit the individual forums and they tend not to start their own topics because it's easier just to click on the active topics and say "me too" or "I agree".

I agree ;)

¥

Lance
11th May 2004, 07:06 PM
oh, the unutterable irony. ;)

Task
11th May 2004, 08:35 PM
Sooo.... The entire argumenat FOR the "glance mod" is that it allows you to quickly see "what's new"? All you're really wanting from it is a list of "what's new"?

Well, perhaps you should try clicking on the little "View posts since last visit" link!
This link can be found in the top-right corner of the main forum page, below the "Log In/Out" link.

And lo, the ground beneath their argument collapseth. 8 )

Mano
11th May 2004, 09:29 PM
Hmm that statement is a little premature, the glance mod is still quicker, for example; if im working on something and i just want to check if something is new i just enter the site and if i dont see anything new then i dont read much, because im doing something else at that moment, in best case i think i will check the page later when i am at home, sometimes i get home late or tired and then i dont check it; i dont know if this case is the same with most of the forum members.... and im not even counting the lazy ones that just check and then leave, or the less interested ones.

like i said we are all assuming, until experience show results.

infoxicated
11th May 2004, 09:34 PM
Hmmm your statement shows a lack of intuitive!

Create a shortcut to the "posts since your last visit" page and then visit that for a quick check. :)

Mano
11th May 2004, 09:40 PM
:D Nice one, will do that, but right now im on the lab at college (maybe i will add the shortcut in every pc here hehehe), also i still havent got back my internet connection at home, that ISP............ :evil: :evil:

The only con i see on doing that, is that i dont want to leave my log in any computer other than mine...

G'Kyl
11th May 2004, 09:48 PM
Damn. This thread already brought me one revelation about the "jump to latest not visited post" button only a few days ago, but the scope of not having been able to think of that myself actually is shame.
What I do all day, if I'm at work, is to just check in on the forums, see what's new, post and then leave again. So, that link will sure come in very handy, thanks. :)

Ben