PDA

View Full Version : Original Wipeout

Rapier Racer
30th March 2004, 10:24 PM
Would anybody be kind enough to tell me about the first wipeout? i have never played it and cannot get hold of a copy :cry:

Task
31st March 2004, 02:51 AM
Just for future reference, the word you're looking for is "original".
Wipeout, compared to it's sequels, is much less graphically enhanced. The soundtrack is pure Tim Wright, the 4 base teams are it, all the ships looked similar but had differing paint jobs. There are only two speed classes, venom and rapier. This game is the most difficult of all of them. You might think that all these things would make it weak, but it makes it strong. There aren't very many tracks, but every track is very difficult. The AI ships are difficult to beat, because if you wipe out... You stop dead! No wall sliding at all, you touch anything and you lose all your speed. Control is tight, weapons only slow you down you cannot die. Handling is so heavy that even in the nimblest of craft you'll need serious airbrake skills.

Once you've played Wipeout, XL seems laughably easy by comparison. It's a great game. And I'm going to move this post into the forum that exists for exactly this purpose: discussing Wipeout.

yuusen
31st March 2004, 08:17 PM

*sniff*
im getting all nostialgic. im off to ebay to find a copy right now.

¥

Rapier Racer
1st April 2004, 07:55 PM
i do apologise i realised 5 ms after posting it was in the wrong place :oops:

Shem
1st April 2004, 08:26 PM
eh,,,,Wipeout...The Original...Based on a CGI animation as seen on "Hackers" movie....
The game itself had (has!!) a great atmosphere, there's nothing like floating upon your pit while the crowds go wild....This game is a part of history... the history of Playstation, the history of Wipeouting, the AG League.... The story behind the game seemed very realistic...that's why I loved this game from the very beginning. Maybe becouse I always thought all this..the AG racing, the AG crafts, this new sport in general...can happen. That game had an anourmous influence on my life. And that's the truth.
U gotta have this game Ricardo!

Rapier Racer
13th April 2004, 12:41 AM
U gotta have this game Ricardo!

Right well I've decided to toddle along to amozon and buy a copy, then i can get all annoyed during game play everytime my ship touches the side of the track, also whats so special about WO 3 SE? If i already have WO 3 should i buy SE? Just one more thing should i try to get a copy of WO 3 SE Classic, i mean whats in it all the 2097 tracks with 3's ships?

Lance
13th April 2004, 02:19 AM
WO3SE has all the WO3 tracks plus 3 of the original WO1 tracks plus 5 of the WO2 tracks plus an additional 2 prototype tracks beyond the four from regular WO3. the 'Classic' category in the WZ records tables means the 8 tracks of WO3SE that are from WO2 and WO1. there is no 'Classic' edition of the game. you PAL folk are so lucky that you can get the SpecialEdition and have no trouble at all playing it on your regular equipment. we north americans, on the other hand, are so... snif... i can't go on...... wahhhh

Rapier Racer
13th April 2004, 02:38 AM
There there - Pats Lance on the back

Rapier Racer
15th April 2004, 08:38 PM
yeah my copy of wipeout arrived today, how can i describe it erm 'quality speaks for itself' what a great game and the soundtracks good too it's tougher than the other ones due to the fact that you can't scrape along the walls and thats slowing me down considerably, however as they say practice makes perfect :-?

Oh by the way is there a table for this one? when i click on wipeout xl i get the 2097 tracks???

Lance
15th April 2004, 09:38 PM
if you mean you got a copy of SE, the records for the old 2097/XL tracks played with WO3 teams are accessed through ''Wipeout three SE Classic''. in just the plain ''Wipeout three SE'' you will find only the WO3 tracks.
we don't have any tables for WO1 itself. [nor for WO64, for that matter]. if you click either regular XL or regular 2097, you get the same set of tracks because they're identical in both. same game, different video display standard, slightly different ship physics [2097 is ''floatier'' is what i always hear ;) ], different name for different markets

Rapier Racer
15th April 2004, 09:51 PM
no i don't mean SE it was the original wipeout that i got, all i need now is WO3 SE to complete my collection, it still retails for a decent price, then i'll have all five

Lance
15th April 2004, 11:58 PM
well, six. ;)
but you gotta go Nintendo to play WO64. btw. regular WO3 plays differently in ship physics than the WO3 part of WO3SE. it's another one of those differences in floatiness things

then there's those japanese ntsc versions that play differently from the north american ntsc versions. i think Al has about fifty different versions. that guy is dedicated. must get expensive.

i probably have at least 80 versions of the Opera browser by this time, but they only cost me download time. i am a mere amateur at collecting

Rapier Racer
16th April 2004, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't call it collecting i am just trying to get all the playable ones for the playstation so i can, play them funnily enough, i will now be playing only one game for the next two weeks and that's wipeout, for I need to improve and unlock Rapier class, it's just that last track..... :x :evil:

WOW fifty versions??? really?? now if that's not pure dedication then what is :o

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 02:25 AM
Gosh, when I started playing WipEout I soon got SO frustrated because I was used to the forgiving walls from WO2... Only erasing the other Wipeouts from memory (just for the moment, naturally ;) ) helped me to slowly understand and be able to make progress in the game. So Ricardo, you better start rethinking. That last track - though I know exactely what you mean! - actually is quite easy once you get the idea of how to fly fast in WO.

By the way, I got myself a brand-used N64, so I'd finally see these Nintendo-only tracks. All I need now is the arrival of my ebay purchase of WO64 - and a gamepad. ;-)

Oh and Ricardo: Here in Germay they bundled WO3SE+Destruction Derby 2 for a new release of the game a couple months ago. Usually costs some 24 Euros, which was OK for me considering how long I had to be waiting to even SPOT a copy of WO3SE. Not that I cared much for DD2, though. *g* Anyway, maybe you can find someone on eBay who is willing to ship abroad. Hmmm, I might even be in a good mood and offer to buy the game and send it to you (erm, after payment, of course ;) ). :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
16th April 2004, 02:42 AM
i found one on amazon...about £35.00 they want for it. Waht do we think folks?

Lance
16th April 2004, 04:24 AM
i think those pounds have more than 16 ounces in them

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 07:09 AM
i found one on amazon...about £35.00 they want for it. Waht do we think folks?

Wow, that's more than twice as expensive as in Germany. How come they still wanna have so much money for such a comparatively old game? Even though it's Wipeout I can hardly imagine the demand to be big enough to justify that price. Anyway, just thinking aloud... sorry.

Ben

Rapier Racer
16th April 2004, 02:00 PM
Oh and Ricardo: Here in Germay they bundled WO3SE+Destruction Derby 2 for a new release of the game a couple months ago

are you sure because i checked and they released that here as well but was only WO 3 and not WO3 SE

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 02:11 PM
Absolutely sure, yep. Cause I got it right here on my table (and in my PS every once in a while :) ). Try looking up "Wipeout Destruction Derby Twinpack" on Google if you're in doubt. Every site that will be returned is in German though...

Ben

lisa
5th December 2004, 12:01 PM
I like the original Wipeout best. I don't think the handling is more difficult. At least I never use the airbrakes. The graphics arne old but more charming and the soundtrack is awesome. Its's really "spacey", you know, what I mean? I comes from faaaar away. I just love the first wipeout and was disappointed by the other games. Especially Wipout Fusion ist too perfect, alomst cold. And the other games have so many features, that you can't "bulid a relationship" the the game.

G'Kyl
5th December 2004, 02:45 PM
I like the original Wipeout best. I don't think the handling is more difficult.

It's not the handling that is more difficult. For me it is the walls that make it more difficult. No scraping there - every tiny mistake turns into a considerable speed loss.

The graphics arne old but more charming and the soundtrack is awesome. Its's really "spacey", you know, what I mean?

I know EXACTly what you're saying. :) It's the most original one from all installments and gives the game a kind of style no licensed compilation ever can.

And the other games have so many features, that you can't "bulid a relationship" the the game.

Right again. Simplicity done right is the most attractive thing there is - in gaming, art... you name it. Yet I don't think that WO 2 and 3 had too many features so they would cloud the general experience.

Ben