PDA

View Full Version : A Question......

Shem
2nd February 2004, 08:31 PM
I'm going to buy PS2 soon (along with Wipeout Fusion), and I have some questions about the previous W'O games. I mean, I know that it's possible to run PSX games on PS2, the problem seems to be, that some of the older games just don't work. I'm really concerned right now, becouse I would like to play at least W3O, maybe W'O 2097, and W'O at the end.
Have you ever tried to play these games on PS2? I'm almost sure about W3O, but considering the fact, that WO2097 was relesed just after W'O, I think It's impossible to play these last two.
And another question - how much the graphics are improved ( I heard that it's only anti-aliasing included, but I mean overall, maybe compared to some PC PSX emulators)?
Last one - can I use my savegames from PSX memory card (I know it's possible, just want to be sure)?

...and it seems to be, that I'm going to fly again...... 8)

xEik
2nd February 2004, 08:55 PM
I haven't tested W'O" on my PS2 but WO2097 and WO3 work with no problems on it as well as their corresponding savegames (on an old 2MB card, obviously).

lunar
2nd February 2004, 08:59 PM
don`t worry, it all works.

I`ve played wipeout, wipeout 2097, wipeout 3 and wipeout 3SE on my PS2. There`s a texture setiing on the ps2 which you put to "smooth", and it improves the graphics quite significantly, without having any effect on game speed as far as I can tell.

There`s a fast disc speed setting also, which is intended to reduce loading times, I think. I suspect this crashes 2097 if you use it, but it doesn`t seem to make much difference to the loading if you leave it on normal, and certainly doesn`t have any effect on gameplay whatever you do. But you can leave it switched off anyway and then its all OK whatever.

PSX memory cards also work fine in a ps2.

Have fun!

Shem
2nd February 2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all.
Any suggestions on which game to buy apart Wipeout Fusion?

Tokai
2nd February 2004, 10:09 PM
depend of what kind of games you like....i suggest Final Fantasy X, Soul Calibour 2, Metal Gear Solid 2....Gta...Gran Turismo...Pro Evolution Soccer 3....there are a lot of title out there....

Shem
3rd February 2004, 08:03 AM
I'd expected such an andswer....heh, but thanks anyway (I guess Gran Turismo will be the choice).
Thanks again!

science
5th February 2004, 04:11 AM
one of those settings (smooth or disc speed) crashes NTSC WO3. I forget which one. I think it was disc speed, because i seem to remember turning on the "smooth" setting and thinking, "this doesn't look a damned bit different."
Anyone notice a difference on 3 with that setting?

infoxicated
5th February 2004, 08:31 AM
Was it you who was pressing the reset button after turning on texture smoothing!? :wink:

Shem, when you get your PS2, turn it on by pressing the eject button, put the disk in the tray, but don't close the tray, then press triangle twice to bring up the disc speed and texture smoothing settings. When you're done, go to " browser" and close the disc tray with the eject / close button. When the PS2 detects the disk, select it to start the game.

If you reset at any point the PS1 driver settings are reset to default.

There is a subtle difference on most tracks - notably on the track surface, I think.

rodwipE
5th February 2004, 08:17 PM
My PS2 will play all bar the original wipEout. But I wouldn't go by that because I've got one of the early models.

Wiseman
8th February 2004, 04:30 AM
I've personally had no problems with either smoothing or disc speed on Wipeout 3.

I always leave them both turned off for all of the Wipeout games. Although smoothing gets rid of the pixelization on the textures, it also adds ugly black outlines around all text and the trees. I took one look at it and said to myself "ehhhhhh, no." and keep it turned off.

science
8th February 2004, 04:59 PM
huh, I guess I will have to try them on a PS2 again.
BTW, I am now the proud owner of a used PS1, thanks to a friend of mine! He bought me one as a belated B-day present!

Shem
8th February 2004, 07:51 PM
I'll have my satin silver ps2 ( 8) ) on tuesday, can't wait untill I kick in with some records.
And here's another question - how to enter the records in the records section?
Sholud I send them to moderators?

Lance
9th February 2004, 03:36 AM
nope, the moderators don't have access to the records. if you are already registered on the main site [the forums have a separate registration] then you can enter your times by just logging in. a records entry screen will come up for you showing your registered name and a set of dialog boxes for different versions of the game. pick the one you want to enter records for, and the next screen will appear with the times entry boxes for that version

Shem
9th February 2004, 07:33 AM
Thanx, thanx, thanx!!!
I really apriciate your help here.