PDA

View Full Version : Emu times

Mano
23rd January 2004, 06:43 PM
just a little idea for the tables, is there any chance that there would be an emu section on the tables to input some times?, seeing as they are not accepted as valid times now in any of the other sections... also can someone with a pc and a psx, check if the times differ at all?.

Well too much requests, hehe, im just itching to post some times, specially of WOXL got some good ones.

Btw, the new graphics plugins from Pete (opengl2) make the game look great on epsxe, much better than before.

Lance
23rd January 2004, 06:50 PM
i'm suspecting that tables for emus are not going to happen in the near future if ever. there has to be a way on the pc to absolutely lock in a specific frame rate and possibly all features would have to be running [filtering, textures, full thrust trails, contrails, max draw distance, etc.] so that racing conditions would be identical for everyone, except for the controller of choice.

and even then, there is the question of whether infox wants to do the extra work, when he already has a full plate, and to also use extra server space and bandwidth

yuusen
23rd January 2004, 07:47 PM
_
what are emus and how fast do they go?

¥

Lance
23rd January 2004, 08:49 PM
75 percent as fast as ostriches

--------

come to think of it, i'm thinking too much of the pc version; those additional controls may not be available on emulators?

Mano
23rd January 2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah, i pretty much tought the same, oh well, was worth asking for, also i have been running woxl on a 61fps lock and then on 70fps lock and it has been pretty much the same (other than the fact of accidents are far more often in 70fps due to the added speed), below 60 fps seems to be the same as well, maybe the internal clock runs at the correct speed acording to the frame limit, i guess some ppl could use the frame rate manipulation in slowing things down to make more perfect lines, but the real fun is on speeding things up :D.

Task
24th January 2004, 05:00 AM
I'm not "the official word" or anything, but I'd like to make a guess at what that word will be and I'm going to explain why. Mostly just so that if any of y'all are thinking that this could only be a good thing, that I'll plant the opposing argument in your mind.
(starts digging a hole)
No tables for emulators, no tables for the PC version, no tables for Saturn, no tables for N64. Not now, not soon, not even eventually. I'm tempted to say "never", but that's always a bad word to use.
Standardized hardware is the reason.
(starts planting a pole with a sign on it in the hole)
Playstation is not only cheap and plentiful (sometimes known as "cheerful") but the accessories are similarly priced and available. They're all the same, from country to country. The one difference in the software versions (adjustments due to output signal type) is handled via completely seperate tables. The game itself is easy to find, even the rarest versions of the game.
(finishes planting sign, tamps the dirt down)
There is no reason to try and be serious about non-head-to-head competion in a game when you can't even count on some standard set of hardware.
Iffen you wanna play in this sandbox, you're gonna hafta break down and get your hands on the World Known and Recognized standard hardware and run your software on it. End of story.
(walks away from sign, sign has a line inscribed on it and above the line it reads: You Must Be At Least THIS Hardcore To Post In The Tables)

Mano
24th January 2004, 10:40 AM
Yeah, i was fully aware, just looking for a chance to play in my favorite hw, as it inspires me, i not only guess but i accept that if i want my times on the table i will have to do it the accorded way, hence my absolute absence on the tables, i respect that and would i be on the other side of the fence i would enforce that, i was just looking for a standard on pc emued version but i do recognize it is very hard to implement and research, sorry if i sent the wrong message there. a line is a line and to keep a great community like this i do not only respect that, i also support it with you, i am sorry to have caused such a misunderstanding, it was just an attempt to make the participation broader. Till i get a psx, see you on the tables :wink:

infoxicated
24th January 2004, 10:55 AM
You could always create a thread for emulator based times on the forums, Mano :)

Lance
24th January 2004, 02:24 PM
Mano, you didn't create any misunderstanding; you just indulged in a bit of wishing, and even made a statement in the same post indicating it was probably too much of a request. no problem with that, we all have hopes and dreams. :)
i wish a standard Playstation type controller worked properly on the PC version of XL, but it doesn't seem to. even though the game looks so good on the computer, i can't play it at all well on my machine, so it's the console for competition. i just run XL on the computer every once in a while to delight in the visuals.

if you do as infox suggests by having a long-running thread in the Arena section, you or other participants will do the organising of the results and setting up of hardware-software configuration standards, so infox doesn't have to do the work. any discussions of standards could be carried on amongst yourselves through PMs, then you could display your times in the thread itself

Task
24th January 2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah, no misunderstanding at all.
I just figured that your well-written and intentioned post should have a well-written and intentioned reply.

Linkers Take Note: If someone asks why Mac/PC-based WO times aren't wanted in the tables, or anything like that, this might be a good topic to link them to.

Bwa-ha-ha! My words shall live on forever in posterity!

Was that my outside voice?

Mano
24th January 2004, 07:50 PM
You could always create a thread for emulator based times on the forums, Mano :)

Great, hehe the topic subject is already made, gonna get ready some times and post them.

Lance
24th January 2004, 11:12 PM
Jay, you are almost as egomaniacal about your writings as i am... no... wait, what i am i saying? NO one is as egomaniacal about their writings as i am.