PDA

View Full Version : PC version?

Wiseman
8th February 2002, 05:22 AM
I've heard some people around here (mostly noteably Lance) refer to a PC version of Wipeout.

Well, I've looked all over the net and have found absolutely zero info on a PC version.

My question is where did you get it? Did you download it? Where, where, tell me where.... me is hungry for PC versions of Wipeout to edit.... :razz:

BurnHead
8th February 2002, 08:52 AM
yeah... a PC version of WipEout would be good for me too! I also never heard of such a version!

FishDK
8th February 2002, 01:56 PM
I was searching for Wipeout Sounds yesterday on altavista and found this clone of WO' for linux or something....wait I'll go and check...BRB

back - oh it was Unix...

http://xracer.annexia.org/

there's the URL...*shrugs*

<>< F I S H ><>

Lance
8th February 2002, 07:58 PM
you can get the game here: http://www.abandonware-fr.com/

on the main page, click the category 'sports' in the sidebar to the left. on the new page, wipeout is the last game listed, click on it. the game itself is in three files, fichier 1, fichier 2 and fichier 3. after they are downloaded, unzip all of them to the same folder.

the music is also available. all eight of the tracks by CoLDSToRAGE are there in MP3 form, each in its own separate file which you have to download individually.

i usually play the game with those tracks running on Coolplayer or winamp. they are perfect for racing.

the graphics of the PC version of the game are not as good as the console version, especially when youre looking at them close up on a computer monitor instead of a far-away television, but the game is still fun. good circuits. btw, this version doesnt seem to have any sound effects, which is too bad, but i still like it.

enjoy

i should mention that one of the 3 main files is an RAR file.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-09 05:11 ]</font>

Wiseman
9th February 2002, 05:02 AM
Thank you, Lance! :grin:

::goes off to download::

Firestar
9th February 2002, 07:48 AM
I downloaded the files and extracted all the files... but whenever I start the program up I get a distorted DOS error message on my screen that said "Not enough memory for sound". My computer has 128MB and that should be plenty....

AmigoJack
9th February 2002, 03:17 PM
try to disable your soundcard, or run the game from REAL dos

Lance
9th February 2002, 03:57 PM
did you make sure to install it directly on drive C under the name 'wipeout'? the crack requires that the wipeout folder not be in a subdirectory, but only in its own folder on the drive.

also, the readme file suggests that if it doesnt work with a soundcard, part of the code can be modified.

Firestar
10th February 2002, 09:00 PM
Stupid me, I forgot to do that... thanks guys.

V Kelly
20th April 2002, 01:04 PM
-Hi, I'm new to the zone, but a veteran AG pilot, since '96...
I have a PC version of the 1st game, it's on budget software...
You can check it (& 2097) out at www.dice.nl
But as Lance said - the PC version of the game is pretty crappy...
The PC version of Xl/2097 is a dream compare to the 1st PC version.
(And ALOT faster that the PS1 version of 2097.)

-Speedfreaks Unite!!!

DWF

locopol
10th September 2002, 01:58 AM
hello!

I have colecion of soundtracks of the versions of Wip'Eout "PC, Wipeout 2097, Wipeout 64 and Wip3Out SE, single I need to complete the Wipeout XL PC.(CoLD SToRAGE)

Greetings to all.

Paul
From Santiago of Chile.

A.G.Syst3m
20th September 2002, 05:32 AM
pickjed up Wipeout and 2097 for a grand total of $5 ea (here in Aus) for PC at local variety store

only real problems ive found have been speed

A.G.

Feisar
15th October 2002, 12:19 AM
dude, like i downloaded all 3 and put them into a folder in the C drive and i cant open any of them.

Wiseman
21st October 2002, 06:48 AM
If I recall correctly, you need WinRAR to open them.

Lance
21st October 2002, 07:18 AM
QuickZip will also open RAR files

hi-nrg
8th December 2002, 08:58 PM
Hi alltogether,

i've read that thread and wondered whether this beauty of a game can still be downloaded (...the link mentioned above does not work :() or bought (...but where?).
Does anyone here have any tips for a WipEOut-addict?

Lance
8th December 2002, 09:40 PM
in the past several months, all the sources i knew of for the WO and WO2097/XL downloads have disappeared

hi-nrg
8th December 2002, 09:49 PM
Any ideas whether i can buy it at one of these online-shops? And if so, which one?

infoxicated
8th December 2002, 10:29 PM
It is difficult to get hold of now - most online shops don't have the game any more. The best bet is the bargain areas or old stock shelves of game stores. :)

hi-nrg
8th December 2002, 11:00 PM
You know what? I just jumped in at E-Bay Germany as described above and what do i see? Jippieee, Joohooo, ... :)
WipEOut PC for approx. 5$ and WipEOut 2097 for about 10$! Let's hope the other guys don't want to invest as much money as i would :)

These versions are the only ones that i can play on PC right?

Smashing Young Man
8th December 2002, 11:03 PM
You know what? I just jumped in at E-Bay Germany as described above and what do i see? Jippieee, Joohooo, ... :)
WipEOut PC for approx. 5$ and WipEOut 2097 for about 10$! Let's hope the other guys don't want to invest as much money as i would :)

These versions are the only ones that i can play on PC right?

Sans emulator, I believe. :)

Kruszchev
12th December 2002, 07:05 PM
Hello... my first MSG on the fourm, should have joind earlier... sience im a wipeout lover... playd all PSX versions... and i loved them.... back to the question, i didnt see anywhere someone mentioning that they found wipeout (to PSX) cheap... or expensive for that matter.

well what i wanted to say...
i went to stockholm (the capital city of sweden... i live in sweden quite closeby stockholm) and i found wipeout.... whoo that brought up some good old memories. and i had to buy the game (the shop was a game store only!!!) and lookt at the prize tag... 150skr thats about 15us dollars.... wouh!!! and for that matter only for the disk... nothing else.... then i askt the guy in the store (actualy he was a retro game lover... like me :D ) why it costs so mutch (i mean the game did cost 5USdlrs last year)...

and he replyed... its very difficoult to find the game in sweden and its starting to get its Classic/retro game status... and the prize increase at a hig rate....

so what i did was... I BOUGHT THE GAME..... ohh i love the first wipeout.... its lovley
it actualy has better feeling than the some of the new games that comes out now... (im not apealing to wipeout fusion... never playd it, but when i get money... guess what ill buy)

but the question is does this prize increase ment only apeal to sweden (PS only in true gamestores... some nongame stores that sell the game, basicly gives the game away)

DJ Techno
12th December 2002, 07:21 PM
Hi....if you live in Sweden then you might know Wamdue there. He is also from that country. 8)

Better yet..Hi :D

Lance
12th December 2002, 07:32 PM
welcome to the wz forums, Kruszchev

DJ T: um... Wamdue is a guy. you might want to edit that post. i realise that you love the ladies, but this random gender-changing hallucination is going a bit far ;)

thank you. :D

Wamdue
12th December 2002, 09:28 PM
:o a she?.. lol :wink: must be the avatar ;)

anyway, nice to see new members on the boards, especially swedish ones. Sometimes it feels like im the only wipeout gamer in sweden.

Ive seen a few wipeouts in my town ( kalmar) and theres a negcon in one store, no ones bought it and its been ther for years.

Hoppas du gillar vårt forum, känn dig välkommen :)

infoxicated
13th December 2002, 08:07 AM
LOL! :D

Ha ha 18 years on and Wamdue gets mistaken for a member of the opposite sex! ;)

Welcome Kruszchev - it's good to hang onto old copies of the game... you never know when it might be worth more than its weight in gold ;)

Hybrid Divide
13th December 2002, 11:58 AM
I found my copy of WipEout (1) for the PC in a small computer shop for only $3 :D
It won't work on my machine, but it's still awsome to have.

Wipeout 2097: Than-Ku to Infox! :D
Ya know, I recieved that on Christmas Eve last year. Weird huh? It's the one day I wasn't expecting mail! 8)

And I found my NegCon in the local Software Etc. for only $6, it was very gently used before and still had the box! :D

Welcome to the forums Kruszchev!
Happy Racing!

Vagrant Logic OUT

Lance
13th December 2002, 02:28 PM
''18 years on and Wamdue gets mistaken for a member of the opposite sex!''
it happened to me yesterday
in real life

infoxicated
13th December 2002, 02:31 PM
You have a real life?! :o

Tell me where you got that - I hear they're rarer than W3SE ;)

Lance
13th December 2002, 02:46 PM
well, it's a very limited sort of real life. even more limited now, since my pet cat, whom i've had for 11 years was stolen by some one last tuesday, possibly for keeping as their own pet, but as i have learned since, she may have been taken as a training object for the dogs of some neighbors who are a very bad sort. but i have not seen or heard any such activity from them in this period, though a neighbor friend of mine has seen such a thing in the past when they took the small dog of another person in the neighborhood. currently, real life is not something i want to be in.

infoxicated
13th December 2002, 02:55 PM
wow - petnapping...

That happened to me when I was little. Crazy Uncle John came up with some story about the cat having a dual identity of some sort, where it had to live with another family for a while to spy for the government. Having just seen "The Cat from Outer Space" in the movies I was sucked right in with that one. Fortunately the cat found her way back from wherever she had been placed in the mission - and I have to admit she was very good at her job; no amount of coaxing would make her talk.

We also accidentally cat-napped a cat once. Ours had run away and this family said they had found her. So on a cold and dark night my mother went to the family's house and took the cat and said "thanks very much" that kind of thing - got in the car and came home.

It became evident after a while that although similar in appearance to the cat we'd lost, this was not in fact our cat. It did, however, appear to lap up the hospitality we we showing it and we were too embarrased to call the family up and say "you know that cat you found that we said was ours.... well..." :oops:

So we gained a surrogate cat which was actually much nicer than the original cat - who could be a bit vicious on the odd occasion. Bad things happened when the original cat did show up and done the best "WHO THE ****!?" look ever (for a cat) when he seen the surrogate cat sitting on the chair by the fire, supping a fine brandy and generally living it up while original cat had been out in the cold.

Ahem.

What the heck was this thread about int he first place? :o :oops: :wink:

Lance
13th December 2002, 03:05 PM
mine may have already been killed while they were baiting the dogs with it. at best in such a situation, they would have to keep her in a cage so she couldn't get away or be 'wasted' by letting the dogs get at her while they weren't around to watch and enjoy the 'fun'. who knows how long she could be tortured like that?
for the previous three weeks, someone had been feeding my cat early in the morning before i got up. it seems clear now that this was not just some charitable act on their part, but an attempt to lure the cat away from her home. so if any of you have a pet, and you see this frequent feeding by someone else, make every effort to find out who is doing it and to stop it

infoxicated
13th December 2002, 03:07 PM
That's pretty terrible - I'd probably just assume the cat was off on a walkabout, rather than purposely being taken to bait dogs. :o

Lance
13th December 2002, 03:14 PM
until i talked with a neighbor who knew of these peoples activities, i had thought it likely that some schoolchild had wanted my cat as a pet for themselves, since the feedings rarely missed a weekday, but had occurred only once on a weekend. most of the schoolkids in my neighborhood go past my house on the main neighborhood access road to get to the schoolbus stop

my cat has pretty much stayed around my house for the last couple of years, since she was attacked and nearly killed by a 60 pound dog during her neighborhood wanderings

Wamdue
13th December 2002, 04:13 PM
im very sorry to hear about your cat lance. It was close that my dog was to be put to sleep a month ago, because he has a decease on his paws.. but the day before the 'big' day, the paws got better.. I was in shock..that dog means the world to me, so I have felt a wee bit of what youre feeling.

Lance
13th December 2002, 04:55 PM
thanks, Wamdue. it looks like i'm never going to see her and pet her again. for 11 years, she's been the only being who was always there, the only one i could always give affection to. and truth be told, there were a couple of times where the thought that there would be no one to take care of her was one of the very few incentives i had to not off myself

sorry to be so serious. even though i am very unhappy right now, it isn't fair to you guys for me to drag down the mood of the forum

Synthetic Consciousness
13th December 2002, 05:38 PM
[Wamdue]

I always knew your avatar was going to cause trouble and/or confusion. :P

[Lance]

Our dog, Shadow, died a couple months ago, and I'm still grieving. He was a little black schipperke. We had him for about ten years (so he was almost 70 in dog years). His birthday would have been the 24th of this month. So I can relate to what you're going through. I'm sorry, man. :cry:

Anastasia
14th December 2002, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry too, for both of you. I'd like to be able to say something comforting but I don't know what. I'm thinking of you though, all the same. Take care.

Ana

q_dmc12
9th October 2012, 05:28 AM
Hey guys, it's time once again for me to live up to my reputation of digging up old, crusty threads. I was wondering if anyone figured out this "not enough memory for sound" issue, I am trying to run it via dosbox on my android (2.3 if that helps) of all things. Any help would be well appreciated, thanks. :)