PDA

View Full Version : Quite far from the Wipeing crowds Wolfenstein:EnemyTerritory

science
14th November 2003, 02:25 AM
As I mentioned a few posts back, I recently purchased a new computer. I intend to use it primarily for audio production, but I decided at some point that i might as well pick up some of the newer games since I now have a PC capable of running them. When Return to Castle Wolfenstein was still in beta testing, i downloaded the multiplayer version which was free at the time. it took forever to load and chopped like hell on my family’s computer (might have run fine if it weren’t for the computer being completely clogged with garbage. its amazing how quickly and completely a household of people who know nothing about computers other than AOL can destroy a computer, but that's neither here nor there...) but it was a cool game none the less. Well, I wanted to see what had become of it since it has been in release for quite some time now, so I went by Id Software's website. As it turns out, Id Software released a game alongside RTCW called Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. This game is totally multiplayer based, and totally free! So, I figured I'd download it and give it a shot. It was not a wise decision for me to make in the waning weeks of my college semester. This game is unbelievably addictive. You can play with up to 64 people at one time, and it runs beautifully through a broadband connection. Most gameplay is usually objective based through a campaign of various maps that are between 20-30 minutes long (max) per map. There are groups of people that are still spitting out custom campaign maps that are just as good or better than the original maps that are standard with the game. You can choose from a few different classes (soldier, medic, covert ops, field ops, and engineer) each with different attributes and abilities. One of the main things that makes this game so addictive is that they have incorporated an experience system. For each campaign on each server, you build up XP and gain extra attributes and abilities for your character. At the end of each campaign (a couple of hours) XP is reset and the playing field is leveled. This makes it appealing to anyone who likes RPing or character development types of games, but doesn't put anyone at a disadvantage that didn’t get in on the game at the release, or doesn’t have time to play 24\7 (at least not for long).
I've had to make myself stop playing this game for awhile as all of my classes are wrapping up and I have a lot of work to do. This game is WAY too much fun for anyone who likes 1st person shooters, and I'll probably be back on when I have spare time once again (which seems like never these days...). If you want more info or want to download the game, go to http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/ , click on Enemy Territory, and follow the appropriate links. Let me know if any of you start playing. Maybe we can jump on the same server sometime :D. Otherwise, if your head gets popped by Woozle, that would be the handiwork of yours truly ;)
-Joel

Wamdue
23rd November 2003, 06:37 PM
sounds like Planetside, tried it? mmofps with exp and everything. If you like big battles online you should pick up battlefield 1942 wich also features 64 players online and vehicles like airplanes, tanks,jeeps , bombers, aa-turrets,subs,carriers etc etc. and if youre not into ww2 stuff you can always download the desert combat mod, a mod with modern day equipment,maps.. theres almost more ppl playing the mod than the original game. Neither bf1942 or Planetside are free tho but I think theres a 7 day trial for Planetside (as it uses a monthly fee) and there should be a free demo of bf1942 but the netcode in the demo doesnt do the full game justice.

science
24th November 2003, 07:59 PM
Naw, never heard of either one of them. I'm short on cash right now, so anything that's not music/dj oriented goes on the backburner. I actually had to uninstall ET today because I'm spending WAAY too much time playing it. I've got 2 weeks of school left, 20 hours worth of classes to finish up, and 3 programming projects to finish in my data structures class alone. I have too many responsibilities and too little discipline. If all I have to do is doubleclick an icon on my desktop to shoot up nazis instead of write some boring-ass paper, I'm gonna go with the former, so the temptation had to be removed. :(