PDA

View Full Version : The making of the Tigron K-SVR

Mooney
16th June 2017, 04:23 PM
Hey all,

Here is a breakdown of the work i did on the Tigron for the Omega collection, enjoy! :p

http://www.cleverbeans.co.uk/tigron-design/

AdHoc
16th June 2017, 04:43 PM
Loved reading your article, great insight!

I hope you’ll get to design dozens (well yeah, literally dozens) of new ships in the next WipEout game ;)

Mooney
16th June 2017, 04:44 PM
Loved reading your article, great insight!

I hope you’ll get to design dozens (well yeah, literally dozens) of new ships in the next WipEout game ;)

me too!!! loved doing this, cheers.

nic1701
16th June 2017, 06:45 PM
Thank you Mooney, it was very interesting reading about the creation of the Tigron Ship and to see some of the sketches. The result is definitely amazing! It would be cool to see the same for the Van-Über ship.
Well, thanks for sharing!

dontmindlosing
16th June 2017, 07:04 PM
Oh, that's awesome. When you see the ships in the game, you can only imagine the thought that went into their design--but to hear all about it first-hand is so interesting and makes me love the designs even more. More of these kinds of entries, please!

Rasalom
16th June 2017, 07:47 PM
Beautiful designs. Tigron has a nice combination of rugged, sleek, and mean styles. The only reason my loyalty with the team is so low is that I'm getting the skins for all the other teams first. I do love the way it looks and flies. Great job, Mooney.

Ghosts of Temtesh
16th June 2017, 07:59 PM
Now it is an old Russian rocket tank instead of a MiG-21. I still like it though. Try making a new FEISAR ship, they haven't changed the design since 2097.

Racingfan
16th June 2017, 08:28 PM
Nice one mooney

awesome reading it :D

Hellfire_WZ
16th June 2017, 10:22 PM
Great read, especially the design process leading up to what we see today. Bloody good work! :D

Mooney
17th June 2017, 12:29 AM
Oh, that's awesome. When you see the ships in the game, you can only imagine the thought that went into their design--but to hear all about it first-hand is so interesting and makes me love the designs even more. More of these kinds of entries, please!

Well if Sony ever want to do another game, and somehow I get to work on it, i would love to do more and share what I can. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful designs. Tigron has a nice combination of rugged, sleek, and mean styles. The only reason my loyalty with the team is so low is that I'm getting the skins for all the other teams first. I do love the way it looks and flies. Great job, Mooney.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Now it is an old Russian rocket tank instead of a MiG-21. I still like it though. Try making a new FEISAR ship, they haven't changed the design since 2097.

If you look very closely at the front of the central chassis, you will notice a huge air intake there. That was our little homage to the MIG, it's not as round, more angular but that was our little nod to it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one mooney

awesome reading it :D

My pleasure ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Great read, especially the design process leading up to what we see today. Bloody good work! :D

Thank you, so glad you guys like it.

Cheapether
17th June 2017, 12:52 AM
Wonderful insight. This was an absolute pleasure to read.

I'll go on record as saying that I personally believe the Tigron's design for Omega is just great - very inspired, with brilliant design execution. Very, very well done.

Ghosts of Temtesh
17th June 2017, 12:34 PM
I guess the important thing is that you decided not to copy Pure's Tigron, which shows that you REALLY wanted to make a new Wipeout ship. Well done.

Mooney
17th June 2017, 01:50 PM
I guess the important thing is that you decided not to copy Pure's Tigron, which shows that you REALLY wanted to make a new Wipeout ship. Well done.

I've been wanting to make a new ship for years! As for the old Tigron, that ships art style is completely different from that of HD's so it was never an option to use that shape.

Edit: ah sorry, I got confused with Pure and Fusion There. I meant the Tigron from Fusion was a different art style, you were referring to the the rocket like ship from the hand held version. The reason we didn't just use that ship was that Sony were keen to see a triple hull style ship.

Kurlija
17th June 2017, 02:00 PM
I love what you guys did with both the Tigron and Van-Über ships, they really do fit in really well with the rest of the pack.

And yeh, more design processes like this, please :P

AdHoc
17th June 2017, 10:14 PM
Sony were keen to see a triple hull style ship.

Interesting. I didn’t think Sony would meddle in this kind of small creative issues.

Why did they want that if I may ask?

Mooney
17th June 2017, 10:35 PM
Interesting. I didn’t think Sony would meddle in this kind of small creative issues.

Why did they want that if I may ask?

X DEV produced the game and in most cases your publishers/producers have creative input. This has been the case on pretty much every game I've worked on. The first Tigron sketch's I did were drawn over a very rough early model that Sony had worked on. That very early model was a triple hull like shape so we used that on our ship. That was pretty much the extent of their involvement from a creative stand point. We were left to just get on with it.

AdHoc
17th June 2017, 10:40 PM
Cool!

I’m guessing they were trying to come up with new hull shapes, since the "monocoque" (ie. Feisar) and "catamaran" (ie. Auricom) shapes have already been overused.

Mad-Ice
18th June 2017, 09:08 AM
Great to see the proces that has led to the final design. Thanks for sharing! I wish for more artwork posts here at Wipeoutzone.

Greetz Mad-Ice

AdHoc
18th June 2017, 09:36 AM
Just played with it for the first time, I absolutely love the quadruple exhaust at the back, looks damning.

Reminds me of a Zonda:

http://media.fastestlaps.com/cj2at4z1llog/640x350m

Dawn_Fire_
18th June 2017, 01:16 PM
Loved reading this, great seeing the process. And thank you for that classic black/yellow skin. Love it.

I think the first thing i said when i saw the engine was 'that's a beast of an engine!' :p

Ace3000
18th June 2017, 02:03 PM
Honestly, I don't think I play with any other skin when I take Tigron out for a spin. The black and yellow skin just works so perfectly.

Mooney
18th June 2017, 02:27 PM
Honestly, I don't think I play with any other skin when I take Tigron out for a spin. The black and yellow skin just works so perfectly.

Here's an extra bit of trivia for you. That skin was designed by Dan Cook, who has worked on a ton of wipeout games, including fusion were he designed the original Tigron! So hes come full circle now.

BlackReign
26th June 2017, 03:19 PM
As a designer myself this was a great read (I saw the reddit post you made for this). Great stuff. Please ask the dev to make a WO Omega Collection physical art book (that ideally includes some of your work on Tigron)!

Mooney
27th June 2017, 12:58 PM
As a designer myself this was a great read (I saw the reddit post you made for this). Great stuff. Please ask the dev to make a WO Omega Collection physical art book (that ideally includes some of your work on Tigron)!

Glad you like it. So, what do you design? do you have a website?

BlackReign
30th June 2017, 03:46 PM
Glad you like it. So, what do you design? do you have a website?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm a motion designer and head of the graphics team for a TV show call Through The Decades. Nothing super exciting and the demo is older. My site's old but I'll share it when I get it updated.

Amaroq Dricaldari
4th July 2017, 09:11 PM
Congrats on the new design. I love it.

gmrtom7
8th July 2017, 02:59 AM
Hey Mooney, read your article and found it really cool to hear about your process! I'm a designer as well (UX and games, mainly), but I'm trying to crack 3D modelling as of recent. Would you have any advice or tips for someone in my position who's looking to get better at modelling?

Concealed Sequence
9th July 2017, 11:59 AM

I totally agree!

Mooney
30th September 2017, 09:49 PM
Hey Mooney, read your article and found it really cool to hear about your process! I'm a designer as well (UX and games, mainly), but I'm trying to crack 3D modelling as of recent. Would you have any advice or tips for someone in my position who's looking to get better at modelling?
Practice! not what you want to hear I'm sure, but its the only way to improve, keep at it.