PDA

View Full Version : they killed the sound completely

brummpahh
7th June 2017, 08:35 AM
Now we know how clever beans are ... omg.
Take master sounds and replace them with cheap crappy childish ding-dongs.
It all over is sounded as C64 in the 80s (no offense, the C64 was brillant, Omega-sound isn't).
*REMOVED*
Why not simply leave it as it was b4 - what a downer.
Thought after some years it would be time to return - but my ears won't take that on the long run - sorry.

Is there anybody out there feeling the same ?

keg_11
7th June 2017, 08:42 AM
-_- It's the 2097 announcer. I quite like that change.

Cipher
7th June 2017, 08:49 AM
FYI, there's polite ways to make your statement, please read the forum rules.

Only a couple are a turnoff for me, but not to the point it becomes unplayable, some are a nice new spin on things.
I do prefer the female voice myself, but that's mostly because of personal bias (I have the same thing with music vocals), however she is still there, in menus and for incoming weapons, the distorted male voice only got added for pickups.

gmrtom7
7th June 2017, 11:49 AM
I actually rather like the sound changes; there's a chunkiness in the new barrel roll sound and some of the weapons (the rockets especially whew) that contributes this great heft to the game I'm, of course).

Racingfan
7th June 2017, 12:11 PM
I really like the new sounds

the turbo start then the music starts playing may be my favorite :D

love the sideshifting sounds too

good job cb on them :)

Mooney
7th June 2017, 12:16 PM
I really like the new sounds

the turbo start then the music starts playing may be my favorite :D

love the sideshifting sounds too

good job cb on them :)

The sound was handled out of the office actually, cant take credit for them being better........ or worse (for some people! ;) )

dontmindlosing
7th June 2017, 01:08 PM
I think the sound is entirely awesome. I was totally blissed out playing last night, headphones plugged into my DS4, cranked way up. I didn't want it to end.

mdhay
7th June 2017, 01:21 PM
The only sound I'm personally put off with based on Racingfan's videos are the rocket sounds: I don't know the name of it but I absolutely love the sound rockets made on 2048. The same kind of sound Fusion missiles made that really sells them as being powerful weapons. I'd have to reserve judgement until I have both the OC and a PS4 buuuut, for now I'm really liking what I've heard. :)

chalovak
7th June 2017, 01:25 PM
I really love the Vita 2048 sounds. They made the game more "badasser" than it already had been without them.
Really glad we have them here too. And these new SFX for weapons. Just wow.

NotEnoughRed
7th June 2017, 02:07 PM
Now we know how clever beans are ... omg.
Take master sounds and replace them with cheap crappy childish ding-dongs.
It all over is sounded as C64 in the 80s (no offense, the C64 was brillant, Omega-sound isn't).
*REMOVED*
Why not simply leave it as it was b4 - what a downer.
Thought after some years it would be time to return - but my ears won't take that on the long run - sorry.

Is there anybody out there feeling the same ?

Heya,

We're a bit disappointed that you don't like the new sound effects: they weren't handled by us at Clever Beans but actually by one of Sony's world class sound departments... (http://www.develop-online.net/interview/heard-about-wipeout-omega-collection/0232822)

Using the original sound effects wasn't an option available for us unfortunately, as the only sound assets we could get / find were the compressed sounds. (which aren't the quality that we'd need nowadays) - so the really tiny vita speaker sounds.. Basically we had to remake all the engine sounds from scratch for the entire vita side of the game...

We then realised there was a huge quality disparity between the PS3 side and the Vita side.. so we upgraded that side too...

If you're not feeling it, [and don't already have] some surround sound systems would improve the experience no end...

Hopefully it'll grow on you, but "leaving it as it was" was never ever going to be good enough.

Chris

infoxicated
7th June 2017, 02:33 PM
I can sympathise with that entirely - I wanted to sprinkle in classic WipEout sound effects into the WipEoutZone Retrospective video, but the quality was just awful by today's standards and I only used a couple of them in the end.

Which was probably for the best. :)

blackwiggle
7th June 2017, 03:02 PM
When played on a good surround system that's calibrated [My surround amp comes with a MIC that you put where you seat, it then sends out test signals to each speaker and calibrates them for delay and volume], the new sound effects give a much clearer aural clue as in what is coming from your rear, from which side, and how close it is, you don't need to use the rear view, it's that clear cut where everything thing is spatially.

AdHoc
7th June 2017, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your input Chris, appreciated.

chalovak
7th June 2017, 03:34 PM
I wonder if PlayStation Gold/Platinum Wireless Stereo Headset will get a full WipEout support with a special preset in the corresponding app.

scalliano
7th June 2017, 05:56 PM
I have to say, the juxtaposition of the 2048 and the HD announcer was a bit jarring at first, feeling almost like one of those user-made custom sound replacements that doesn't quite replace everything. However, I do like the way that the 2048 ship computers have been integrated into HD Fury and combined vice versa with the warning messages. Now you can hear exactly what you've picked up AND what's coming at you just by listening to the voice/accent. More information for the player is always good.

Also, great to have the old Amiga 1200 back <3

Jonny
7th June 2017, 08:19 PM
I love the sound changes!
Actually I jumped up the first time I heard the mix of the 2097 and WO1 announcer at the starting sequence.
And this clicking sound of the airbrakes is really sweet

AlisGelida
7th June 2017, 08:55 PM
I actually rather like the sound changes; there's a chunkiness in the new barrel roll sound and some of the weapons (the rockets especially whew) that contributes this great heft to the game I'm, of course).

Same. I also loved new sound fxs on Zone Mode.

mannjon
7th June 2017, 11:14 PM
I personally like the audio changes. In fact, despite criticism from some, I like to default music list too. It reminds me of a more modern version of the soundtrack for older titles like 2097 or Wip3out. There are a lot of new faces that don't remember the older music, but I think it is a modern take on the older games. Meanwhile. the new sound effects seem updated and I actually like the new rocket noises. It sounds more like a "rocket" should sound.

Think of it like this... the 2048 chapter has different sounds than WOHD. Would you want the sound effects to be different for just that game? I personally like that they have new sounds across the board. It gives the various titles a new more cohesive sound.

mannjon
8th June 2017, 04:06 AM
I wonder if PlayStation Gold/Platinum Wireless Stereo Headset will get a full WipEout support with a special preset in the corresponding app.

This ^ would be fantastic. Sorry for back to back posts too!

Jambo
8th June 2017, 12:14 PM
Have really enjoyed the sound changes personally, especially the weapon effects, some very satisfying noises there.

GTAce
8th June 2017, 08:54 PM
Best sounding WipEout to me. I'm glad the ships make some proper noises when passing you or airbraking.
The lack of cool ship sounds was always one of my main issues with the series, I'm glad they worked on it.
I also like the soundtrack, although it's a bit on the weaker side of the spectrum.

brummpahh
8th June 2017, 10:58 PM
i'm glad most of you like it (you must be real robust souls :-)

plasma sound - ridiculous for me
rockets sound - ridiculous for me
explosions sound - ridiculous for me
PISTON SOUND for jet engines - are you serious ?
and many more ....

Sounds like kinda "t*ys r *s" store for 3 yrs olds for me.
Tried to play without sound - much better but boring in a way.

i'm out - only solution for me would be a "classic sound pack"
Since this won't happen - i'm quitting omega - so sad :-(

stever
9th June 2017, 03:47 PM
I love the style of the new sounds and overall am very happy with them (especially the new boost sound), but there's a real lack of bass on the rocket, missile and bomb explosions. They sound really metallic and have nowhere near the weight of the PS3 HD/Fury equivalents, which really hit home when an explosion went off. I'm playing on a full surround set up with a dedicated subwoofer, so it's not my set up that's at fault. Any chance of altering them a bit?

nu9get
9th June 2017, 04:01 PM
i'm glad most of you like it (you must be real robust souls :-)

plasma sound - ridiculous for me
rockets sound - ridiculous for me
explosions sound - ridiculous for me
PISTON SOUND for jet engines - are you serious ?
and many more ....

Sounds like kinda "t*ys r *s" store for 3 yrs olds for me.
Tried to play without sound - much better but boring in a way.

i'm out - only solution for me would be a "classic sound pack"
Since this won't happen - i'm quitting omega - so sad :-(

lol you quit a game only for sounds? really?? cmon people you are getting this sound-thingy too srsly....

stinkleroy
9th June 2017, 04:08 PM
Agreed. I'm not in love with the new sounds but in no way is it messing with my enjoyment of the game.
Quitting altogether seems pretty extreme :(

Knux_Chaotix
11th June 2017, 11:32 AM
Its a bit different than what Im used to with HD/Fury, but the new sounds have grown on me. I quite like them. I get that its not going to be everyones cup of tea, but quitting all together over sounds is a bit much. The rocket noise is entertaining XD

Dylan061997
11th June 2017, 11:39 AM
Its a bit different than what Im used to with HD/Fury, but the new sounds have grown on me. I quite like them. I get that its not going to be everyones cup of tea, but quitting all together over sounds is a bit much. The rocket noise is entertaining XD

I want a tea lauren thx xD :g , i like the sound too especially the bomb lol :g

gaboa
11th June 2017, 12:28 PM
Im totaly in love with the rocket sounds. Whoomp....... Like in terminator 2 the grnade launcher.

I realy liked the bomb or what was it in wo 2097.....huge detonation and the whole screen went white for a second. That was so awesome.

Sausehuhn
11th June 2017, 01:09 PM
There’s also an option to adjust the sound output to your audio setup in the audio settings menus. I imagine sound effects to be mixed differently to accommodate the output. That may have an effect on how dull or clear the game sounds. I for one do not own any surround sound setup but rely on an old pair of heavy stereo speakers from the 70s with an dedicated amplifier. That’s why I switched the output to „headphones“ which should be a true stereo output from what I understand. I’ll fiddle with the settings though, to get a clearer picture of what these options actually do.

Concealed Sequence
11th June 2017, 02:46 PM
I have no problem with the sound at all.

Jonny
11th June 2017, 08:35 PM
I more and more love these sounds. The starting sequence, the rockets, mines, bombs. Also that clirring when someone is hit by a rocket or missile is great!
And these board computer voices! I love these of FEISAR and AG-Sys :g

Beuzer0
12th June 2017, 09:20 AM
I really enjoy this new sound design. I thought i wouldn't like it but it works very well!
My only request would have been to have a more dramatic sound when a contender gets eliminated, like in 2097, with a "BANG" so strong that makes you say "oh s*** it gets serious" even if it's behind you.

Justice & Curtains
12th June 2017, 08:23 PM
I really enjoy the new sounds (with the notable exception of the cannon, it literally sounds like its going "pew pew"), they all sound much more realistic and powerful than before.

Lion
15th June 2017, 08:24 AM
I adore the engine sounds, I absolutely love that they're different between teams.
Ditto the various pickup announcers - though I'd like even more of them if it was possible, maybe even in the home language of the various teams. So far I've noticed japanese, african (sorry I can't be more specific than that) and russian accents. It makes the game world feel more grounded in this world :)

Hellfire_WZ
15th June 2017, 11:57 AM
They are in the home languages for 2048. English (FEISAR), Japanese (AG-Systems), American (Auricom), Russian (Qirex) and Portuguese (Pir-Hana) :) For the other teams in HD I think they've tried to assign them a language that would be the closest to where they are located, albeit not entirely successfully. Obviously Icaras having the English accent makes sense, but Triakis having the Japanese one doesn't so much.

Ace3000
15th June 2017, 12:10 PM
Triakis is such a dissonance! A weapons conglomerate making a tank of a craft with a camo paintjob... having a cute Japanese voice as it's readout? XD

JFthebestJan
15th June 2017, 12:27 PM
i love the new sound of 'leach beam', very transformer-esque :robot

Danterich
15th June 2017, 01:12 PM
Recently i´ve noticed birds singing on Moa Therma! Played without background music for some time. Never heard this on PS3. What a love for details, i appreciate that.

amplificated
18th June 2017, 06:57 AM
I don't have the game, but I've seen a bit of footage now and noticed a few changes. I wouldn't say the sound is all for the worse - in fact, I think they fixed 2048's sounds a lot. On the Vita, the ships sounded like cars, which always bugged me.

But yeah, some of the main weapon sounds are a bit iffy now. Exploding rockets sound like opening a pack of Pringles (:lol) and, the 2048 announcers being moved into HD was a mistake IMO - the cheese level is to the point of being more annoying than helpful.

I also can't stand the new music - it's horrible! Of course, everyone's tastes are different, but I had to get it out there...

AdHoc
18th June 2017, 08:23 AM
You get used to the sounds.

Don’t care much for the music either, but there’s workarounds to get yours going instead.

pichuscute
20th June 2017, 04:18 PM
Tbh, I really like the new sounds, beyond the announcer being a guy in one case. 2048 sounds especially nice to me, imo.

T-301
25th December 2017, 08:23 PM
Using the original sound effects wasn't an option available for us unfortunately, as the only sound assets we could get / find were the compressed sounds. (which aren't the quality that we'd need nowadays) - so the really tiny vita speaker sounds.. Basically we had to remake all the engine sounds from scratch for the entire vita side of the game...
Hopefully it'll grow on you, but "leaving it as it was" was never ever going to be good enough.

I've been playing the original Vita 2048 on an HDTV lately and I don't understand why you've made this decision. The sound effects still sound great on TV's, honestly. 2048's original sound design was a huge achievement back then. I'm not saying the new sounds are bad, but discarding the old assets just feels like a waste. Is there at least a chance to bring them back as a little free DLC, like the 2097/Wip3out UI options?

Racingfan
26th December 2017, 03:17 PM
I played the vita version again to get 100% of the trophies. And i gotta say, I miss those sounds when hitting the speed pads. The feisar & qirex one is just so beautiful. I think i'd be fine with compressed, unless it's really really compressed that it's not good at all. Options are always welcome though.I like the new sounds in omega, except the speed pad ones for some teams.

Rovenami
4th January 2018, 09:40 PM
I noticed that during the countdown, the 2097 announcer is counting down until around "1" when the announcer from the original game joins in.

T-301
31st March 2018, 11:37 PM
This guy says he recorded some of the sounds from Omega but they sound exactly like 2048's combined with HD's, vastly different from other gameplay videos. Did something change lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhuen-ITf8

As far as I know the ships sound like this in Omega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BwFR7UbAgY

mannjon
20th June 2018, 03:02 AM
Long time no post. Having heard omega in full surround, I think they optimized for surround sound. Sounds great in Atmos.