PDA

View Full Version : What's with these huge , day 1 game updates? Bloody annoying.

blackwiggle
25th August 2016, 07:39 AM
This is the second game this month I've had a big game update start as soon as I put the game disc in the PS4.

No Man's Sky [recommend AVOID unless you like being bored] had one that was around 850mb on day one before it would start, and has had two more smaller updates since then.... still no update to make it worth playing.:mad:

Now I just put the new Deus Ex game in the PS4 for the first time, and thanks a lot, am waiting for a 3.82 GB download to finish before I start the game... what is going on ?

Cipher
25th August 2016, 10:23 AM
Developpers/publishers set a deadline for game release (which encompasses extra time for disc production, boxing, certification,...), while all this is being done, the developers don't stop, they continue working on the game, finding & fixing bugs (mostly) and generally improving the game, i honestly think one shouldn't complain about 1 day patches, after all they're there to improve your experience.

Games are so big nowadays that they are rarely ever finished at release time ;)

Meg.A.Byte
25th August 2016, 03:22 PM
I think he meant and what's the point of this (probably) - why do you have to release day 1 patch when you can just update the game day before the release. I'm pretty sure they don't fix the game the night before release.

Cipher
25th August 2016, 10:32 PM
Well, you can't magically patch a boxed disc for one :p
But these patches also have to go through certification if i'm not mistaken, which also takes time, and I don't think you can just say "eyyyyy Sony, remember that release buld we sent ya and you did all that certification time on, setting it up for release and what not?? Well forget about that one, we got a new and improved version! Please certify it again :D " :p
Consoles are not like Steam, where steam puts the responsability for the product with the developers, consoles have quality assurance stuff going on, to make sure they are not promoting "junk" on their systems

At least that's what i've come to understand, anyone's free to correct me if I'm wrong (im curious to know more ^^)

blackwiggle
25th August 2016, 11:01 PM
Well despite the additions 3.82 GB day one patch, Deus Ex - Mankind Divided still has control issues, I must admit, this is the first game in a long time that I've bought that has these sort of issues

What's supposed to happen with your character is, when crouched behind something [L2], you are supposed to be able to use targeting to pick another spot to go to by pressing X, a sort of semi automated stealth movement.
What happens in reality is your character will move and stop well short of that targeted spot, leaving you out in plain sight, easy meat for the enemy A.I., this control failure even happens in the tutorial that is showing you how this feature works [supposed to]

Other problems are when going into menu's, selected objects won't equip, or you can't quit out of the menu once equipping, or trying to equip something.

Unless these issues are fixed with yet another patch, you are going to have a lot of angry Deus Ex players that find that several trophies in this game are going to be unobtainable due to setting off alarms, or being seen and having to go into combat.... around 5 or 6 in my estimate.
That's unless the player can find a work around.

infoxicated
26th August 2016, 12:32 PM
It's a pain, but it's not really a new thing. Burnout Paradise had a launch day patch in January 2008 and it wasn't like my internet connection was any faster back then! :)

Meg.A.Byte
26th August 2016, 06:32 PM
@CIPHER
Many games these days have only activation on discs so you have to download it on steam anyway. It's basically just fancy package for virtual key. And certification? I literarly said why they doesn't update the game the day before? Why it has to be day 1?

But yeah, games on discs with actual copy can't be fixed after they are made.

Snakenator1
26th August 2016, 09:44 PM
Part of me thinks it could be restrictions of the disc format, perhaps developers are making games so big that they can't physically store all the data onto the disc so a portion of it is put into a day 1 update which is then stored on the consoles hard-drive. Means less memory is used on the disc overall, a good example was when Destiny was released all those years ago. Where bungie had to constantly update the game in order to complete it as it was a very big game for the last gens. But that could also be put down to bungie having to meet a deadline.

I know some day1 updates are used to activate a games online features as well but I'm not very knowledgeable about online servers and how they work.