PDA

View Full Version : DOOM - the new one

Hellfire_WZ
29th May 2016, 05:52 PM
Hopefully I'm not alone here in thinking the new Doom is absolutely brilliant? It's been such a long time since I played an FPS that wasn't all about hiding behind a wall and poking out every so often. Just good old "these guns and those demons have an appointment".

Nightmare mode is absolutely kicking my arse though. Says a lot when even the basic Imps can smoke you in one hit with a charged attack... how someone has managed to complete Ultra Nightmare is just beyond me!

Knux_Chaotix
30th May 2016, 06:21 AM
You're deffo not alone here on that one. I absolutely love it. Its a million miles better than DOOM 3. This one actually feels like a DOOM game. I love nothing more than an all guns blazing approach in shooters XD Im yet to try Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare. Cant get over how difficult I found Hurt Me Plenty. I used to blaze through the older games on that. The new one is bloody brilliant.

nu9get
30th May 2016, 02:48 PM
i absolutely love it, a part from i never played it, just saw gameplay videos about it, and it looks AWESOME, i would buy a ps4 only for this and SWBF3 D:

also saw a video from LightBuster, of the ultra-nightmare gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9GFs5j32M

Light Buster
14th July 2016, 09:41 PM
I do admit that I've played the first two DOOMs before this one to get the feel of the game's combat. This game is so fun. The brutal Chainsaw and Glory Kills make killing demons a lot more satisfying and I do like the music done in the game. The composer really took the game's soundtrack to the next level, who used the same dynamic design from Killer Instinct Season 1 and 2.

how someone has managed to complete Ultra Nightmare is just beyond me!

You can count me as one of those people now: https://twitter.com/Light_Buster/status/753692254800183296

EDIT: The someone who did the first ever successful Ultra-Nightmare run is Zero Master who is on YouTube, who also did a no upgrade run on the same difficulty.

mannjon
15th July 2016, 11:24 PM
Yo sup? BEST FPS that has been released in a long time. I don't and won't play Call of Battlefield. This game is the straight up pure action. No shield recharge, no BS. Where Doom 3 felt like a survival horror game, this feels like Doom should. That ultra nightmare is intense. I got all the way through Argent Tower, and my controller died in combat resulting in a fatal blow before the automatic pause. Don't think I will be trying that again anytime soon.

JABBERJAW
16th July 2016, 03:53 AM
I used to like unreal tournament and quake 3 arena. Similar? Can you dodge weapons in the same manner, strafing and jumping? Is the multiplayer similar? Can you use a keyboard/mouse?

Hellfire_WZ
16th July 2016, 08:18 AM
Absolutely. The basic premise is if you're standing still, you're dead. KB/mouse on PC of course :)

JABBERJAW
17th July 2016, 01:41 AM
They have a few kb/mouse peripherals for the ps4 version. Anyone try these? They looked fairly decent

mannjon
18th July 2016, 05:36 AM
It really is well suited for console play on PS4. Mouse aiming would be more accurate, but there have been people that have beat ultra nightmare on console. I didn't use kb/mouse and found it to be just fine. I don't know how glory kills work on PC, but it might actually be easier on the PS4 controls. Considering glory kills are part of the speed to the game, I would try it on a controller first.

But like others have aid, this isn't a "duck until your shields recharge" kind of game. There is no dedicated sniper rifle (though there are a few pseudo snipers) but most weapons have an assisted lock mechanism. For most enemies, you don't really need too much accuracy, and for the more dangerous enemies, your long range options are more than enough for an occasional accuracy need.

The only downside to the multiplayer is that you have weapon slot limitations. It makes up for it though with certain in-game powerups, which I won't spoil for you but are awesome.

JABBERJAW
19th July 2016, 06:05 PM
I have read that it does not play like quake, with the crazy jumping back and forth to dodge weapons. Is this true? I really loved how that played and was the reason I liked it. I don't like auto lock either :(. I do understand why they put it on a console though