PDA

View Full Version : Info for those who want to run WO in Windows

funzo
21st August 2003, 04:23 PM
After failing to find this game for sale anywhere, I finally downloaded it from abandonware-france.org. I'm now trying to assemble a close enough replica of the official CD. Does anyone know the audio track order? abandonware-france.org just lists them alphabetically; is this the actual track order? The bg music test in the game lists them alphabetically with the intro music last.

For the record, this game is playable under NT/2k/XP/2k3 using VDMSound. With VDMSound, it's still necessary to put the Wipeout folder in the root directory. Strangely, I have yet to get any sound effects in the game at all; normally that's not a problem with VDMSound. The game crashes when I try to use VESA drivers, so I assume that higher resolutions aren't supported. I believe using an audio CD with a different number of audio tracks may crash the game. Using VDMSound, Wipeout runs at what I assume is normal speed. I still prefer playing it in native DOS because it runs so much faster than the game was actually meant to. I'm still looking for a way to play the game at mach speed from Windows.

One cool advantage to using VDMSound is the emulator that allows you to use a USB gamepad. I can center the joystick within the game, but once I'm in a race, it fails to recognize joystick input for some reason. Still working on that, too....

Niether Wipeout nor Wipeout XL are listed in the VDMSound game compatibility database (yet). Once these issues are resolved, I (or someone else) can post a full report to the database.

Synthetic Consciousness
21st August 2003, 08:52 PM
Yes, the track order is alphabetical. The PlayStation version doesn't list the intro, whereas the PC version does.

infoxicated
21st August 2003, 10:50 PM
From the forum guidelines:

Please avoid discussing pirate software/media on this board - there are places for that kind of thing and this isn't one of them.
What the hell is it with people who don't read the forum guidelines before posting stuff like this. Wipeout is not abandonware, neither is Wipeout 2097/XL or 3 or 3 SE or Fusion. Wipeout is an IP owned by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. This is a fan site with strong connections to SCEE and I'd prefer it if you took your talk of piracy elsewhere.