PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Design Document

multibodydynamics
30th September 2015, 10:43 PM
Wipeout Design Document by Nick Burcombe:
http://www.cremademono.com/WipeoutDesignDocument.pdf

I had to use Microsoft Edge to make it display properly. It looked very strange in Adobe Reader for some reason.

Ace3000
1st October 2015, 04:31 AM
Huh, so there was a Vector class and 15 tracks planned. This is all very interesting!

And also The Prodigy, who, like Vector class, wouldn't be in a WipEout game until 2097

AGgamer
1st October 2015, 04:25 PM
Hot damn! That originally planned OST! I went and listened to some of those tracks and man... WipEout could have had an amazing soundtrack...

Those planned voice bites are pretty interesting. Voice alerts for when weapons are picked up like in Wip3out, Fusion, and 2048! Also voice overs for the lap counter, unique "watch your tail" messages for missile locks. It might have annoyed some, but I like the idea, makes the game sound more arcadey and reminds me of RUSH 2049. :rock :guitar

Lastly... 15 planned tracks? And theres 15 tracks in total amongst WipEout and 2097? The first was to be industrial themed Like Talon's Reach was in 2097? Hmmm...

aybe
1st October 2015, 07:44 PM
Wipeout Design Document by Nick Burcombe:
http://www.cremademono.com/WipeoutDesignDocument.pdf

I had to use Microsoft Edge to make it display properly. It looked very strange in Adobe Reader for some reason.

Excellent finding ! Thanks :clap :clap :clap

Thane Corrigan
4th October 2015, 04:16 PM
With the amount of disc space and processing power they had at the time, I think they did a great job. By the end of 2097/XL, they'd achieved just around 75% of these goals, which is a success in my books.

Not sure how an aquatic stage would've looked in the old PS1 EE, but water effects were always a bit sketchy.

AGgamer
4th October 2015, 04:49 PM
Not sure how an aquatic stage would've looked.

Search up Qoron IV from WipEout 64, that'd be your answer.

Thane Corrigan
4th October 2015, 05:33 PM
Oh right... I hardly noticed it was underwater, to be honest. Actually not too bad though, looking at it.

They were really trying to go in-depth with this... programming in aerodynamic changes due to weather effects? That's some high level stuff.

AdHoc
6th October 2015, 02:24 AM
What an amazing piece of history, thanks for sharing this treasure.