Thread: Setting Records Using the Triakis.

Timezone
    GMT -7

Default Setting Records Using the Triakis.

I recently managed to beat my personal best time on Citta Nuova that I'd set using the Zone ship... with the Triakis. My previous best time was 31.52 seconds, and the new one I set is 30.93 seconds; I cannot figure out how I managed to do this. Piloting the Triakis kinda feels like, to me at least, driving a solar powered land speed record car. On one hand, it has a very high top speed, on the other, it has piss-poor handling and acceleration. Until I looked at the lap records for most of the tracks in the game, I would have laughed at you if you'd told me that one of these ships could beat out a Zone in a time trial competition, especially one on a track as technical as Citta Nuova. But after seeing the records and after seriously trying the thing, I have to say that while it feels really slow and cumbersome, it can out lap every other ship in the game. Does anyone know why it's able to do this?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Yes.

It was an accident.

I'll leave it to Colin "it'll make your eyes bleed" Berry to admit *ahem*, I mean explain why the Triakis is a supership...

Thank you Robert 'what have you done to my AG-Systems' Foxx

I've read a lot of the comments about the Triakis being a super ship since Pure came out. As I did the figures for it, I knew that stats wise it wasnt designed to be a super ship and I had figured that as none of its stats that I played with stuck out as being wrong, it was more an anomily sweet spot, it just happened to be the coming together of all its stats that made it what it was. I had been through the stats A LOT and found nothing wrong (I did discover a slight error in the auricom stats which no one has noticed, but technically in Phantom class its faster than it should be)

Going through about 20 stats per ship per class acorss 20+ ships is mind numbing btw

When Rob returned from the European convention thingy, one of the things he mentioned was people had said the Triakis retains speed through corners more than other ships.
    So I went back to the figures, corning, acceleration, speed, grip, roll, turning rate, turning deceleration, and more. All the figures I had adjusted for each ship, nothing. Then I noticed something, two figures that can be individually adjusted per ship, but were actually left to be the same for every ship. The Triakis ones were slightly different to the rest.
    The result being
    1) The Triakis takes longer to hit maximum acceleration than other ships
    2) When you take your finger off the accelerator it takes longer for the triakis to slow down that the other ships.

Its to do with not the actual acceleration itsself but the fall and gain of acceleration.
    Now that I had discovered this difference I went back through the code database files to look for a date of when it had been changed to find out why. I knew I had never touched these figures, when you have so many figures for each ship, you need some constants.
    The Triakis for whatever reason, probably a typo, had had these figures since the day it was born.

So In short, there is a slight error in the Triakis figures, I've not run tests of times (busy on Pulse now) but I know this is the only thing it could be. It was never spotted as it was a figure that was never supposed to differ. It was only when Rob said, someone mentioned it retaining speed through corners more than other ships that I decided to go back with fresh eyes and find the problem (which took a while).

human error
    fixed in pulse
    Last edited by Colin Berry; 19th April 2007 at 10:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

No wonder I had a new found liking for the auricom!
    It just felt right to me.
    And to find its faster than it should be makes me smile
    Last edited by rdmx; 19th April 2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo ;)

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Aha, so that's why the Triakis is so damn good. Ones you get to the top speed and not making any mistakes it just keeps on being fast, and a small mistake doesn't seem to slow you down that much, so you just keep on going fast. Just the way I like it.

If you were to put that in the WZone records, youd be in the top 5.

and when you say "fixed" what do you mean? Will it be much slower?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I think he means that it wont have the anomaly.

When I say fixed I mean the first thing I did was adjust the two figures back to match every other ship, thus all had the same gain and fall of acceleration.

Following that I then looked into experiemnting with the figures in a controlled way, so now there are variances between them for ships but not on the same scale as the triakis, much more subtle and related to weight distribution

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Aww Damn! And I thought I was getting better

ACCELERATION DIFFERENCES. One thing I would like to see is a Large difference in acceleration vs top speed, so a slow top speed ship may accelerate twice as fast as a top speed ship, but the top speed is much faster in the straightaways(like 50kph or so). Adjusted so that the turny ship could beat the fast ship on curvy tracks, but would have trouble on a velocitar type track

Timezone
    GMT -7

Well that explains a bit, I didn't realize the acceleration rating tells you the rate at which a ship decelerates as well. I guess that's what gives the Triakis the ability to set really fast lap times, it runs at a near constant speed, even on really technical courses so long as you don't run into stuff. Also, I was told there's a thread explaining how to post up ghosts; does anyone here know where I can find it?

The Triakis still loses speed, just not at the same rate that doesnt mean it takes 30 seconds to lose speed, we are talking about fractions of a second in difference

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

No wonder I liked it so much

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Damn it, why didn't you mess those figures up with the Piranha...
    I just refuse to pilot an ugly ship like the triakis... besides, the Piranha is much faster on the straight, IMO.

Edit: Damnation... Tried Triakis today for the first time and after a few tries beat almost all of my Piranha-set records... *cries*
    This thing carries so much velocity through corners, it's not fair...
    Last edited by phl0w; 21st April 2007 at 05:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

was adjust the two figures back to match every other ship, thus all had the same gain and fall of acceleration.
    Shouldn't that read gain and fall of velocity? And if so, it doesn't make any sense, that all ships gain and lose speed at the same rate, what with being different in weight, which would result in highly different inertias. Since there actually is an accel and weight stat, I guess I'm wrong, but what does gain and fall of acceleration mean then? It's reasonable why the rate of accleration decreases while acclerating as matter powered by a constant force, like an engine, gains weight with velocity, which logically results in light ships accelerating faster than heavy ships (given they are powered by the same engine), but what does fall of acclereration mean? Negative G-forces? And how is it noticable in W'O''?
    Maybe I suffer some kind of blackout here, but I am kinda confused right now about something I thought I had figured out ^^

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

They are proportional, decrease in acceleration is deceleration which depending on the weight or mass of the ship varies in loss of speed (velocity) over time, a.k.a. acceleration.