Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you want to see in Formula Fusion?

I like the idea of using weapon pick-ups as boost energy. How about have a boost bar, and every time you drop a weapon it gets stored as boost energy?
    The only thing I would like to see is the game to look a bit more gritty, like the original wipeout and 2097. Everything, from the environment to the sound fx should be harsh and a bit dirty. I want the game to sound like I'm at an arcade in the 90s.
    If you have billboards placed above the race track, maybe make them holographic. I always hit billboards in some of the later wipeouts because they placed them right after a jump or bumpy area. In the psone wipeouts the billboards weren't solid and you could just fly through them.

Timezone
    GMT -6

They said it was going to be a dystopian New York.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Portal weapon lol.. Like what force wall did for Wipeout 3 but a portal instead.. I know it's hard for me to get off of it I'm sorry.. And since we're talking of mainly disorienting weapons as opposed to destructive ones (which I like that idea very much), perhaps a blackout with an interceptor in the day that can block the sun if applicable for a certain amount of time..
    Last edited by Chill; 17th May 2015 at 05:54 PM.

Just one thing:

BOUNCE

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote:They said it was going to be a dystopian New York.
    Yeah they did - well, not actually R8, it was a spoke person for the Designers republic that said this in a video interview, and several of us after seeing that must of all thought "Oh No, not another one"! and requested that they didn't go down that path as there is already far too many bleak and dire looking games , it's been done to death, give us something new.....then R8 went into a sort of damage control, and responded that they weren't going down that direction.
    What we actually get??..who knows.

What do you mean BOUNCE?
    As in bouncy craft handling as found in the bumpy Fury tracks and craft?.....That's been one of the most annoying aspects of those tracks for me.
    I honestly prefer the HD craft handling, but unless everybody else is using HD craft, you are at a disadvantage with the craft spec's of the Fury ships

And as for disorientating weapons rather than destructive ones, Please not those Gravity stinger or gravity bombs from Fusion that reverse the craft controls or disable your crafts AG...... they are controller throwing frustrating as they cause much more "race time" damage than any weapon should be allowed to in a racing game.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Cyberpunk is the idea. A dystopia Neo-Tokyo New York is a great inducer of the densely populated neon city atmosphere. We arn't getting a bleak, grey-brown Fallout 3 city, we are getting A colorful but dirty city. Rundown but still futuristic and new. We are getting a classic WipEout feel as they are the role models.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

What do you mean BOUNCE?
    As in bouncy craft handling as found in the bumpy Fury tracks and craft?.....That's been one of the most annoying aspects of those tracks for me.
    Watch from 1.00 to 1.12
    http://youtu.be/lz_f5aMr6ok

Something that's gradually been disappearing is the hovering/floating detail in all futuristic racers. I don't mean bottoming out completely, I mean that the craft moves vertically as well as left and right depending on its momentum. It adds a realistic feeling to the game and makes it more fun.

Its probably harder to program cool physics like that with bumps on the track etc. but it makes it more like sega rally and less boring. (To me anyway).

I would ask the game makers to at least try it and see if it makes gameplay any better.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I agree 100%!

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

Quote Originally Posted by yawnstretch View Post
    Watch from 1.00 to 1.12

Something that's gradually been disappearing is the hovering/floating detail in all futuristic racers. I don't mean bottoming out completely, I mean that the craft moves vertically as well as left and right depending on its momentum. It adds a realistic feeling to the game and makes it more fun.
    I agree, you can see it in the segment starting at 1:13 too, where the craft crests that tall turn and you can really feel it trying to pull away from the track surface. Makes it feel a lot more visceral and less like a slot car that's just shifting left and right.
    Last edited by Stardragon88; 25th May 2015 at 02:06 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Since WO3 I haven't seen any game that was capable of reproducing that 'classic' floatiness/bounce from the first three games. That interplay of the craft's pivot (which is not in the center!), its momentum (that causes the ship to still be pushed forward when entering a curve and adds additional vertical and horizontal movement) and the camera (mainly following the track but also changing its position relative to the ship when it's turning). In retrospective, it seems to be a rather complex combination of several factors. Given the technological capabilities we got today, it seems even more ironic that there hasn't been anything similar for more than 15 years.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by yawnstretch View Post
    Watch from 1.00 to 1.12

Its probably harder to program cool physics like that with bumps on the track etc. but it makes it more like sega rally and less boring. (To me anyway).

I would ask the game makers to at least try it and see if it makes gameplay any better.
    I'm guessing you play in near or far view when playing WO.
    I've always played every WO in cockpit mode, the Fury craft definitely have that floaty bounce of the older WO craft, maybe it's just not as noticeable when playing in near or far view.
    Having a totally immersive experience has always been first and foremost in my love of WO, but playing in that mode can have it's cons, bounce, like a few other things in the more recent WO's, namely BR's and transparent glassy tracks, can really play havoc on your perceived orientation, ultimately effecting your racing ability....not so bad when in racebox doing SL's or TT's, but when playing online against really good pilots you can often find yourself at a disadvantage...this is especially true when when being hunted down by a pack, who if like the vast majority of pilots fly in near or far view, can all see each other and counteract ramming etc, but being in cockpit mode you only have your HUD's proximity alert until other craft are right up beside you, by then it's too late and you can often find yourself getting overridden and rammed out of the way.

I would agree that I find the craft of both HD & Fury tend to have less rear end drift, compared to say WO3's version of Quirex or Icarus, and a lot less than the craft of WO Fusion...Tigron etc....the tightening up seemed to start happening with Pure, got a bit tighter with Pulse, stayed pretty much the same with HD, got a bit looser with Fury...and I don't know about 2048 as I've never played it [Sony, where's the patch to allow this to be played on a PSTV]

I'm not really sure asking for more bounce is actually going to applicable to Formula Fusion, as unlike WO games, craft handling will be left somewhat up to the pilot as the availability of craft upgrades are unlocked.
    I suppose it will depend on what degree of effect these upgrades [or combinations of ] will have .... I can see a source of endless testing and discussion with these parameters.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I don't know about 2048 as I've never played it
    2048 is a bit more floaty compared to HD Fury. infact, in A+ class with the far camera (my favorite camera) it almost feels like 2097 but with a wider track.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Agreed 100%.
    Actually, not only do barrel rolls need to go, I think that the impact of weapons should also be toned down considerably. Weapons should serve as a small bonus advantage in a head-to-head race, but they should NEVER have the power to turn a race around completely. Things like the infamous blue shell from Mario Kart are an offence to people who take racing a perfect line seriously. No weapon should have an effective range further than line of sight.

One thing I have theorized about since wipEout pure is the option to eliminate boosts as a pickup from the game altogether and instead give players the option to convert every weapon pickup into a small boost, therefor eliminating the need for gimmicks like the barrel roll. So if I pick up a rocket, I can shoot it with button A, convert it to shield energy with button B, or convert it into a small boost with button C. This way, weapon pickup pads become an asset to a fast racing line as well and you can leave them turned on for time trials and speed laps, just disabling the fire button A.

Oh and one more thing: I know it's flashy and you can put pictures of it on boxes and ads and even Mario Kart does it now, but PLEASE: mag strips? loopings? driving upside down? Adds absolutely NOTHING to the enjoyment of a track and is highly unrealistic and goofy even for an AG racing game. Just leave it be.
    My two cents.
    Formula Fusion is going to be great, I believe in you!
    This ^^

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Ditto!!! Till I eventually read it properly!

stevie

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Lol Stevie

Hi, I'm new here on WipeoutZone, but I'd love to see a custom craft designer where you could download other craft, in-game skin editor and possibly an upgrade tree?

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

PlayStation VR seems to be making a big splash recently.. Something to consider.. I also miss the brutal weather affects of earlier Wipeouts and hope such things can be implemented again..