Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Influx of new players....

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Good point blackwiggle. I'd noticed a lot of players recently that had clearly had the game for ages but hadn't played it much. They must have seen the Welcome Back package advertised and thought "Sod it, may as well dig it out and have another go, I can always thrash some "noobs" (I hate that word) when they get it next week".

I've noticed a few ghost acccounts though. I've been in SR, ZB and elim rooms where a rank 7 player is mysteriously good. I'm not keen on that to be honest, experienced players starting ghost accounts to thrash new players under the guise of being new themselves. Actually it sucks balls.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Gaddafi: Yeah, Greeny and I found a lot of ghost accts when we've been playing over the past few nights. Most of them were 20-30 or so, though.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Yes i just had the same problem... i got beaten by 6 secs by a lvl 3 opponent! they were called lo_oza lol and they only had 3 trophys...
    Very sad indeed, and i bet most of them are from this forum because of their excellent skill

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I thought somebody that decided to host a phantom race- Moa Therma F- 20 laps with weapons off would be pretty confident a racer, so i joined the room.
    All newbie racers, they weren't really bad, they just need the control that comes with endless practice, only one person managed to eliminate themselves, but I still found myself lapping the whole field twice.

There are some good prospects among the newbies racing out there ATM, it's just trying to find some sort of balance between coming across as condescending [by getting caught out sitting on the grid giving the field a 10+ second start ] and thrashing the bejesus out of them. which will just make the new racers give up.
    Which is the last thing we want.

Just remember people, the way we treat these newbies now might determine how many stick it out to become the new elite pilots, and then want to go out and get 2048 when it's released.
    Huge potential here.

MegaGezza- Yeah a few of us have run into lo-oza, I think it's either Sinus-1 or Dantrich using a different account since they are both from germany.
    I know Sinus-1 retired that name once he got to level 101
    There's a few ex zone pilots zooming around out there under different PSN accounts.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 5th June 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Woopzilla is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Content Contributor
    Phantom Pilot
    PSN ID
    Woopzilla

And this is where the game sort of lets us down... if there were only some sort of chat interface (even during races just like in PC games).

I remember racing online when I was new and not registered here yet... I just never knew what the other racer's intentions were. Are they deliberately hammering me cause I'm new? or are they simply very competitive but actually, as it turns out with nearly everyone on the zone, very friendly and happy to help out with tips and advice.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

MegaGezza- Yeah a few of us have run into lo-oza, I think it's either Sinus-1 or Dantrich using a different account since they are both from germany.
    I know Sinus-1 retired that name once he got to level 101
    He is still using sinus1, I've had a few rapier sessions with him lately. I was pleased the other day because we were really even, usually he thrashes me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Well I'm only level 17 online but I'm just a couple of tournaments short of all elite gold medals in the HD campaign (mostly for lack of time for trying harder).
    People can be moderately experienced and yet have spent very little time online as it is my case.
    I always loose at least by about 5-10 seconds to the average/good pilots and usually beat newbies by 5-10 seconds. I guess this makes me mid/low level tier but I was consistently placing better than a level 34 player yesterday. I just probably played more offline than him.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I also raced sinus1 just the other day, so he's been around.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

I dont mind people having more than 1 account... after all MegaGeeza22 is my second account because i gifted my 1st account to a friend but i now have it back!
    I just think if you want to play through the game again and get your 2nd wipeout platinum you should choose a name similar to your 1st account... i.e MegaGeeza_22
    I haven't played much wipeout because im rinsing the ps+ games before they expire... but Wipeout online is great and a lot more fun! there's so many rooms to choose from! and i see the "active users" on the forum is steadily increasing!!!

Timezone
    GMT -6

Well, this seems like a good place to give my first post. Hi all, I'm not quite in the influx of new players, and I've been reading through these forums since March, but just decided to join. I bought HD+Fury back in October.

I've been waiting until I had the chance to mess around with Blender to join for the fan-game thread, but this seems to be a good time. I've seen many of you online, and maybe I'll see you on the tracks.

About the influx of new players, I'm trying to go nice on the newer racers and let them win, give them some interest in continuing rather than cause them to quit. Unfortunately, I think they may think I'm toying with them and it's having the opposite effect. I try starting late, but then still pass, then I let them pass me, and pass them again...probably not too great looking. It's easier in Flash and Venom because I can just slam a wall or two and it doesn't seem so obvious. I'd like to see a lot of new racers stick around a while and get more competitive, because I cannot find anyone around my skill-level (rank 28 ) in the Phantom races.

If any of you need another so-so player in your game, I pretty much stick to phantom SR and Tournament, though I suppose I'd try some ZB. I'm not great though, so don't expect a grade A performance lol. Thanks for listening/reading.

-Love Mud

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I don't think letting new players win is a way to make them stay in the game.
    They must see how to race HD tracks from experimented pilots and maybe they'll keep racing to reach one day that level.
    At first it's cool to see so much room for wipeout online, but mostly lot of newcomers enters or creates phantom rooms where they can't properly finish the race and they spam bombs, mines when they're last, it must be soooo fun apparently, i usually shoot when i lap them because they're a nuisance during big fights with good pilots. I already dislike a lot the overpowered/random weapon system, but when it's guys who uses weapons not to pass someone but only to annoy the leaders, it's very upsetting. Turning weapons off usualy make them leaving .
    If they're surprised of losing by 20/30 secs after creating public phantom rooms, they're desperate cases. There's all the options to choose speed, friends only rooms or invit only.
    Last edited by leungbok; 6th June 2011 at 06:45 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Thank you for being so kind to us sir. You won't have to worry about my noobish skills for a while though, since I will be married to SL learning all the tracks at different speeds first (will take awhile). Just subbed to your youtube channel, amazing videos.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

That's the best way for newcomers to improve their skills and apreciate the game (and that's how to make me really worrying of your noobish skills) instead of jumping on phantom public's rooms with experimented pilots which lead to frustration IMO

Timezone
    GMT -8

Thank You Sir. I'm just glad you didn't post "That's the wrong way to improve" lol. BTW do you have any tips in side-shifting sir, if you're not to busy doing insane barrel rolls lol?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

sideshift on speedpads it'll save some tenths of a second
    I go back to barrel roll now

Timezone
    GMT -8

Haha Thank you sir for the tip, enjoy your barrel rolling
    Last edited by infoxicated; 6th June 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: unnecessary quotation removed

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Dr-fresh21

yeah im "welcome back" pilot as well eventhough ive been playing WO 64 and have been practicing on pulse non stop ive gotten better but theres like no one to race at pulse im alright i can run rapier tracks almost compleatly clean just need pilot training and advice.....anyone up for a go? (please state time.)
    Last edited by Eden Priest; 6th June 2011 at 08:30 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

It's awesome to see so many new pilots. My worry is that many of them got the game just to try and platinum it, because of the difficulty legends. They go straight to Phantom, straight to Zico, or straight to Zone Zeus. And of course they fail. They get very frustrated and they quit.
    I have friends who bought the game and did that. And here the game is free. So very few of this pilots will take the time to play the campaign on Novice and learn the game step by step and eventually become good.
    To those players who do - I wish you all the best and I hope we get to make some good races soon

Timezone
    GMT -8

I've actually had the game since 09' played it for about 4 days then quit. The only reason why I decided to play again is because someone refered this site to new players on the another forums. Been playing for about 4 days now and I'm actually enjoying this game alot, best racer I've played this gen hands down.

The learning curve is ridculous though. I have to learn the HD+Fury tracks forward and reverse at 4 different speeds HAHA. That is insane man lol, especially since every track has is completely different. Without this forum I probably be playing something else at the moment.

Ohh and thanks Chet.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Chet_BG

You're welcome!
    And for starters, try to learn only the forward HD tracks. After that learn reverse, and then the same with Fury. If you haven't seen it, Hellfire's youtube channel has tutorials on all tracks I think:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire...1994E3331211F5
    Try learning the tracks on Venom. When you know the track itself it will be a lot easier to learn the higher speeds