Thread: HD Replay

PSN ID
    Judus

Default HD Replay

I've been missing this feature since wip3out. I was hoping it would be in the HD feature list, but unfortunately its not

Theres something very satisfying about watching a perfect race from carefully chosen trackside camera angles that not only show the quality of the environments from different perspectives, but also how busy they are (stuff that pilots would miss whilst playing the game). I assume this was ommited due to time restrictions rather than platform specifications (correct me if im wrong here). Its a 'must' for the next wipeout game. Its typical, specially for circuit based racing games to have this feature.

Anyone else miss this feature?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Definitely missing it to, yeah. Especially because of WOHD's improved photo mode. I doubt I would stop during a race very often to get a shot of the situation. If there's a reply, on the other hand, you can watch specific situations as often as you want and thus use the photo mode to its fullest.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

totally agree. as cool as the new photo mode is, it's basically useless without a replay function. The situations you want to capture on a photo are the hefty battles in online multiplayer, but you can't pause the game and take a snapshot. The only way to do it is with a replay. Who knows, maybe they find a way to add it as a download later on.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

defitely yes , it was my favourite feature of W3O, but don't lose hopes maybe if we insist we want it back, after game is out SL can add this feature through a patch or DLC

that could be cool

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Replays are MAJORLY missed in recent Wipeout games-- not only for fun but also for sharing strategies and time trial proofing.

I can appreciate the lack of replays for multiplayer and single race modes due to the amount of information that the console has to save and re-display. What I don't understand is the lack of replays for Speed Lap and Time Trial events, given that there are replays of such things in pretty simple Game Boy and SNES games.

Here's hoping that replays will make an appearance in future iterations of Wipeout

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

That's one of the features that i'd gladly give up Photo mode for.... replay would be awesome, but what would be even better would be the ability to save your replays as AVI's or MP4's etc. That would be brilliant!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Who knows, maybe they find a way to add it as a download later on.
    Maybe i'm wrong but ghosts ships are some kind of replay, no ?
    So the programing already exist in wohd (as in pulse, pure) and they're maybe able to add it later, as a skin editor add on please .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

There won't be any skin editor, as they are too complex.

And maybe there are just not enough resources to do the replay. Sure, in Time Trial there is some kind of reply, but only for one ship.
    In Single races there is much more information to save. There are eight ships colliding with the track surface and the other crafts. There are weapon fired. Flashing weapon pads. And then there is the whole track with its animations.

A reply needs the information of everything that's going on in a race - that's 3-5 minutes. A ghost in Time Trial only needs the data of one ship.

This is a PS3 with a harddrive; there are plenty of resources in memory, speed, whatever. Only thing not in the console is the manpower and maybe development money to write the replay code.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

As far as I understand the issue of replays in a game with a rather sophisticated physics engine, I can only draw conclusions from what Bungie stated about the saved films feature of Halo 3:
    The game can only record the input of your controller (and of the AI), but the effect in-game runs through the physics engine. Now the problem is that you can't rewind the effect of the physics engine - that's why you can't rewind Halo's saved films. But even for an un-rewindable replay, the physics engine doesn't act exactly the same way every time (like in real life, you just cannot exactly replicate a situation) - that's why in a game with more complicated physics it can mess up the whole replay.
    Imagine a bomb explosion next to your ship that slightly pushes you to one side. You react to the push, re-adjust your racing line, the race continues. Now, in the replay, the physics-based push effect might not push you exactly as far or exactly in the same direction. Your re-adjusting controller input is still in there, though, and so your ship takes on a different line - even if only by an inch - than it did in the actual race. These things add up and all of a sudden your ship is off track. AFAIK, this is the main reason for not having replays, since it would be impossible to record every particle of every physics effect in the game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

/Me is reminded of the RollCage Stage II replays on PS1 which crapped out after more than ten laps, the car suddenly turning in one direction and getting stuck or constantly throwing itself off the track. Yeeeeee!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    The game can only record the input of your controller (and of the AI), but the effect in-game runs through the physics engine. Now the problem is that you can't rewind the effect of the physics engine - that's why you can't rewind Halo's saved films. But even for an un-rewindable replay, the physics engine doesn't act exactly the same way every time (like in real life, you just cannot exactly replicate a situation) - that's why in a game with more complicated physics it can mess up the whole replay.
    This makes sense to me.

But for Time Trials, why not just track the location of the ship along with other relevant data (airbrake uses, barrel rolls, pitch)? This is already done for ghosts-- why not lock a camera behind an improved ghost?

Anyway, that raises another question-- what is the quality of the ghosts for WOHD? Do they show barrel rolls, for example?

Haha! There's always a moaner. They're bringing you this fabulous game at a frankly unbelievable price...and you're still not satisfied.

I hate teh internets sometiems.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Don't care about replays, I could have had another race in the time it takes to watch it.

PSN ID
    Judus

They're bringing you this fabulous game at a frankly unbelievable price...and you're still not satisfied
    Oh god no.. I'll gladly take this wipeout as is , but I hopeful that the next wipeout has this feature. As others said, it was a standout feature of wo3.

The game can only record the input of your controller (and of the AI), but the effect in-game runs through the physics engine
    I would have thought the physics/animation engine could also be made to replicate "exact" scenarios if they recorded the "delta time" value passed to the physics calculation during the race on a per frame basis. Perhaps storing (4Bytes * noofFramesCapturedDuringRace) is too large a memory to waste during the game? Or worse, they could have different fps tolerance for different aspect of the engine. (ie particle system getting a differnt update frequency to rigid bodies) so it would require even more memory. Just a guess though..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

It just occurred to me that Forza2 does have full-race replays of long races with lots of cars and a sophisticated physics engine running at 360 fps! So it certainly is possible...

never thought of the fixed camera behind the ghost. I would like to see my replay that way anyway (seeing this ship). Maybe a watch ghost feature. This would be nice for recording best races in HD when you have hdmi cable plugged in. It would allow you to switch cables/settings, then watch and record the ghost.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

^^
    Yes, exactly-- for recording purposes, it would be perfect. You could race until you got your best lap, then record it-- rather than record a series of races and wade through the footage to find the best lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk'n'Clue View Post
    Haha! There's always a moaner. They're bringing you this fabulous game at a frankly unbelievable price...and you're still not satisfied.
    To be fair, I think that everybody here is really super excited for Wipeout HD (except Rob, ) but that doesn't mean there won't be some desired features missing

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

You could also re-watch a race that you could of had a really cool snapshot in, then when that point happens again... take your snapshot... And of course record your best laps like Frances said...