Thread: RIP Wipeout, for me.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Default RIP Wipeout, for me.

Wanted to enjoy this new installment just for the nostalgia, but after playing last night i just cant do it...it doesnt feel right anymore. Dont take this the wrong way, but heres my genuine opinion-

The soundtrack is awful, it just doesnt fit, It seems like they took what people think is good popular electronica music and threw it in regarldess of if it fit with the flow or not. Yes, i know there is some classics here...the 2 categories to pick from is just a silly idea. New menu music, well, I miss the old one from hd, and that was alright.

the sound effects- i actually like alot of them now, sideshift sounds slick , turbo sounds rugged and intense.not too much to complain about, but i never liked the 2048 announcer, if you pick sol he sounds like a robot sean connery...

graphically- meh, its flashy and colorful, same thing as usual there. But i much like the visuals of something like Formula Fusion much more. They seem more polished and i just like the darker tone they put out. 2048 still looks like vita 2048, pretty but nothing to write home about.

Content- Well , we all know its just a big rehash, we have 2 new ships that arent really new, and a racebox in 2048 now. I still strongly disllike the layout and objective based 2048 campaign. There is ALOT of campaign content and nice online features to keep you around though it you really are into, so thats definitely nice to see to hold a community, but again, i just cant get over the fact that ive done it a zillion times already on the same tracks for the past 10 years since alot of them were out on Pure. At least the NEW WO crowd has some meat to work with.

In conclusion, and again, dont take this the wrong way because im a Wipeout fan...id rather be playinf Formula Fusion right now. It feels faster, it looks nicer, youcant beat tDR art and it has an immense room to grow and evolve up until console release whereas Wipeout is locked into a formula more or less at this time. Wipeout Omega, while a nice nostalgia trip, just doesnt bring the genre anything new that it needs. Ive always said the old content , including Wipeout HD and 2048 needs to die and they just need to do something new. Enjoy the game though guys, im sure a lot of newcomers will enjoy, and i will keep my steelbook sealed up nice as a memory while if i decide top play i have it digitally. FrostE out

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

It's a remaster, you can't be expecting it to bring entirely new content?
    Then again, they did bring us a racebox for 2048, so they kinda did it anyway

The music i'm not to fond of either, but that's really all personal taste, although I usually have my iTunes playing music for me with the game muted anyway, so not too big of a deal.

Graphics I have to disagree on, although there's a couple tracks that look a little odd (to me), most of them look way better than they used to, much better lighting, detail, texturing, normal maps, ..
    You seem to like glossy, reflective & shiny games (aka Unreal Engine (Way overused because the engine makes it so easy )), which looks pretty for static stuff, but in my opinion just doesn't work for dynamic games, wipeout graphics has attention to detail with regards to the environment it will reside in, ships show engine exhaust stains along the side of the ship, they don't look shiny reflective & polished as if they just came from the dealer. You know that wipeout ships have seen some sh*t, something I like much more than the brand spanking new look. But i guess that too is personal preference ^^

All in all, what i'm trying to say, is it mayhaps more personal taste than the actual game?

I think you’re overreacting a bit. And saying "RIP" is a bit harsh. You’re kinda missing the point and you almost say it yourself: it’s a rehash.

Your message isn’t even as dramatic as you make it sound.

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

Yeah, and I thought some of us RIPed WipEout long ago when Studio Liverpool was shut down. And these people moved on not expecting to see anything WipEout related in the future.
    But look what we've got here! Omega Collection? No, a glimpse of hope!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    I think you’re overreacting a bit. And saying "RIP" is a bit harsh. You’re kinda missing the point and you almost say it yourself: it’s a rehash.

Your message isn’t even as dramatic as you make it sound.
    I dont think its harsh, its true, i said "RIP Wipeout, for ME" as in im hanging up my piloting gear on this title. I personally dont believe Wipeout needed a rehash of a bunch of remastered content +plus some bells and whistles n racebox from 2048. Ill be back when we have something new and hopefully that will happen one day. Im not hating on Wipeout, im just being honest about my feelings towards this title and how things have changed over all these years. it is what it is. Im aware that im clearly a minority thinking that way here but i know im not the only one and i AM happy that it is successful so far clearly and getting good ratings, but its not pulling me back in at all, if anything, its pushed me further away from it. I hope they do something new one day oir just let it go.

Then it’s just a case of bad terminology. RIP sounds very final. People don’t come back for the dead. You’re just throwing a hissy fit.

Remember, WOOC is a springboard for the next installment of WipEout. As fans, we need to support it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    It's a remaster, you can't be expecting it to bring entirely new content?
    Then again, they did bring us a racebox for 2048, so they kinda did it anyway

The music i'm not to fond of either, but that's really all personal taste, although I usually have my iTunes playing music for me with the game muted anyway, so not too big of a deal.

Graphics I have to disagree on, although there's a couple tracks that look a little odd (to me), most of them look way better than they used to, much better lighting, detail, texturing, normal maps, ..
    You seem to like glossy, reflective & shiny games (aka Unreal Engine (Way overused because the engine makes it so easy )), which looks pretty for static stuff, but in my opinion just doesn't work for dynamic games, wipeout graphics has attention to detail with regards to the environment it will reside in, ships show engine exhaust stains along the side of the ship, they don't look shiny reflective & polished as if they just came from the dealer. You know that wipeout ships have seen some sh*t, something I like much more than the brand spanking new look. But i guess that too is personal preference ^^

All in all, what i'm trying to say, is it mayhaps more personal taste than the actual game?
    yes, it is a fair amount of personal opinion, its my views on the game. As for the game itself, yea, i guess they achieved what they set out to do, the game runs good, its Wipeout and its pulling new people in and the nostalgia junkies are gaga for it. But the reasons i mentioned above are mostly my opinion and why i wont be playing much, and im entitled to that.I wish Wipeout the best in the future, i used to travel to JABBERJAWs place for the NA Wipeout conventions, i played for the NAWT back in 2009 against TFD for WOHD..hell even have the hoodie and ive got some really good memories from most of the games i really do, but Omega doesnt do anything for me as ive said before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    Then it’s just a case of bad terminology. RIP sounds very final. People don’t come back for the dead. You’re just throwing a hissy fit.

Remember, WOOC is a springboard for the next installment of WipEout. As fans, we need to support it.
    Im not throwing a fit at all, i think youre upset that there are long time members of this site that may not be pleased or interested in Omega. As for a springboard, i hope youre right. Wipeout needs something new, and Sony has the money to make it happen if theres enough interest.
    Last edited by TheFrostE; 8th June 2017 at 06:46 AM.

Not upset at all. I was like you when they announced the game, very disappointed. But the enthusiasm of everyone, players and press, got me straight back on board.

Just... please don’t use "RIP" just because you’re disappointed, when we’ve got mates actually dying and genuinely deserving that mention.

Anyway, WipEout ain’t dead yet, this is double or nothing.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Man, I had forgotten how much I didn't miss this kind of post during the years it's been since the last game! 😂

PSN ID
    DIXI200

I was very excited for "Omega" and wanted to buy the Ps4, I read and saw many videos these days. A wonderful job, but after 10 minutes of video I thought I was looking at something I already have. This is my thought, I do not own a 4k tv, and on Ps3 I played almost exclusively with WO, it is not convenient for my wallet to spend money for something nice but I have. I do not think there will be anything else on WO's PS4, maybe on PS5. I prefer to split my Mac to have a PC part and enjoy projects inspired by WO, deserve my support for their passion, time and money.