Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    About the fanfic: It is good, but shouldn't a remake also contain the original canon.
    If this is a die-hard "has to be exactly like the original but with new features, physics and graphics" remake than yes. But if it's a reboot, certainly not. Wipeout has always lacked in the story department (probably why they never tell it to you in-game. Story isn't the focus and may not Studio Liverpool's strong point anyways), so if we were going to reboot wipeout 2097 or 3, we may as well give it the story it never had. Besides, as I said my story follows the canon closely, the main changes involve the wipeout 1 cast existing for 2097, and AG-systems owning the league (which I renamed the AGRL). I have nods to the canon throughout the story too, all I plan to do enrich the wipeout universe's lore to make it more story friendly.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Alright so I've been up all night researching my ass off and contemplating and have come to a conclusion. I'm not going to gamble around legal matters and make this project a complete remake of the original Wipeout games. Having a HD version of the origins of Wipeout is without a doubt a dream most people on this forum have most likely had once, but I am not going to put myself or this forum into a legal gray area attempting to do it. That being said, this isn't me announcing this project is over, far from it. AGR2280 is going to remain a secondary project for while, I want to continue working on this.

Github
    So first off I would like to mention that as soon as the project has been renamed and a concept has been established I will be making a new repository on Github for it, meaning the source code will be publicly available to everyone. On the note of releasing, I've released the first physics test and I will continue to release more as time goes on. As it stands at the moment, the same AGR2280 ship model and test track is probably going to become a common thing to expect from those.

Help
    For this project to get anywhere there's going to need to be a team, I can most certainly do it by myself but that in turn means waiting a million years for anything not coding related to happen. Now I use the term team very lightly for this, I understand that most people have busy lives (work, education, etc) and therefore dedicating yourself to a project such as this is nearly impossible. That aside though, I am wondering how many people would be interested in helping shape the game. I think with a name like AGR2280 I've already proved I'm by default a terrible person at making up names, it's a descriptive name but not really something I would slap on a game box and be proud of. I don't really feel like there should be a limit to who can help and what they do, it's more of a come in and do your thing type deal, this is supposed to be a community thing after all. Let me know if you're interested, even just a suggestion for a name is enough

Going from here
    2 days into the project and I think it's safe to say the original goal isn't happening, that's not to say part of that goal can't be reached though. Personally from this project I still want to see the end result of what could be a classic Wipeout game in HD, improving upon the physics and keeping the same aesthetic going but just without infringing copyright.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Seen the video, that is seriously impressive! You have certainly made a grand job!
    Just keep it yourself right.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Beside story elements: Are you including the championship mode from wo1, the challenges from 2097 and all this stuff?

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Of course, I'm thinking that those could be merged together as well. You complete a championship then have a challenge to complete to progress, I guess like Wipeout Fusion but with races instead of one opponent to beat to unlock a new ship. Talking of progress, I think that all speed classes should be unlocked from the start. It's a pain in the ass having to play at lower speed classes to unlock the faster speed classes, especially if you prefer faster speeds. I'm mainly looking at Wipeout Pure for this, the fun for me in Pure only started once I grinded the entire tournament mode to get Phantom.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

You said that you remake the first 3 games, how are they seperated?

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Well as I said it's no longer a remake of the original three games, it will be it's own game. Regardless though, merging elements of all three games is the way I'm looking at it right now. Before I get into this though I need a game plan, I'll start roughing out the game and update the original post later. Like mentioned multiple times now, if you have anything you want to see then say so because developing this game shouldn't just involve what I think it should be.

tried it out, great turning physics, similar to wipeout 1. The pitch control changes the handling in the earlier games, but I know you just put this in, Maybe the ship should sit bit higher? also, if you are looking at the earlier games, the pitch back brought your entire ship a bit higher off the track. I'll send a pm with some suggestions as I want to play what you have more first.

When pitching back, you cannot turn right when holding the gas down. there may be more to this, but that is what it felt like.
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 5th April 2015 at 12:46 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

That ag-sys concept is awesome. I have a suggestion, for the different time periods, since they are so far apart, you should change the ships slightly between leagues to make it more realistic.
    I've always wanted someone to do a game like the ps1 games!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    tried it out, great turning physics, similar to wipeout 1. The pitch control changes the handling in the earlier games, but I know you just put this in, Maybe the ship should sit bit higher? also, if you are looking at the earlier games, the pitch back brought your entire ship a bit higher off the track. I'll send a pm with some suggestions as I want to play what you have more first.

When pitching back, you cannot turn right when holding the gas down. there may be more to this, but that is what it felt like.
    Yeah the pitching still needs a lot of work, getting the ship to raise off the track as you pitch up is pretty easy so I'll get that implemented now. I'll also go play Wipeout as well to familiarize myself with the pitching again, I haven't actually played it for a little while now. I'll see what I can get done for a second physics test!

For the inability to steer when pitching back and accelerating, are you using a keyboard and if so does the keyboard have anti-ghosting? My previous keyboard had anti-ghosting you couldn't turn off which led to exactly what you just said, at first I thought it was rather my code or Unity messing up until I got my current keyboard which does exactly the same if the anti-ghosting is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by PureSpeed7 View Post
    That ag-sys concept is awesome. I have a suggestion, for the different time periods, since they are so far apart, you should change the ships slightly between leagues to make it more realistic.
    I've always wanted someone to do a game like the ps1 games!
    I was thinking of doing that, except I only thought of making the ships dirtier as time progressed. Modeling small differences would be a really nice touch, Thanks for the suggestion!

Going to keep a changelog on this post of what I've changed until the next physics test.
    Changelog
    • Reduced ship hover damping and increased hover force (the ship now bounces more and comes to a resting height much slower)
    • Added slow hovering animations for the ship and camera (when not moving very fast, the ship will sway around and the camera will ever so slightly shake)
    • Reduced wall friction | walls now rotate the ship
    • Removed wall collision camera shake
    • Pitching now affects how the ship handles:
      When grounded, it will affect the ships damping. Pitching down will keep the ship from bouncing as much and the ship will grip to the track much tighter. Pitching up will increase how much the ship bounces and the ship will be able to leave the track on bumps much easier. When falling, pitching down will rotate the ship to face downwards quicker and pitching up will prevent it from rotating.
    • Added brakes (both airbrakes held down at the same time will bring the ship to a quick stop)
    • The ship will now be pulled around by gravity when on the track (rotates and falls down slopes)
    • Added a resisting force based on angular velocity when falling
      This will quickly slow the ship down if you are pitching down as you fall, pitching up does nothing. This also makes the existing air resistance slightly faster.
    • Some extra details on the track texture
    • Pressing esc will now quit the game (for physics testing stages only)
    Last edited by bigsnake; 5th April 2015 at 06:05 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I like how I commented about the ship model you used (ag-sys concept: WipEout Pulse) right before you changed the video so now nobody knows what I was talking about.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Ok, so no real WipEout then.
    But why it has to be dystopian/utopian again? Can't it be just a normal world?

For the story: How about we use Faster Than Angels (of course another version of it) as the story, basically since the 4 original FTA teams are almost like the 4 original wipEout teams:

Angelus is like Auricom, for the purity, while making profit.
    Crinale is Qirex and Overtel in general, seeking ruthless profit and tries to have the most influence in the league.
    Wyvern being FEISAR with good hangable crafts, but getting bankrupt after some time (like AG Sys in the 2140s).
    Katana (first "version" of Angelus) transforming into another team (Angelus / Auricom), while some employees form a new team (Crinale / Qirex)
    Jennter being a mixture of AG Systems and FEISAR, always inventing new stuff, while having successful and less successful times.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

GOD DAMNIT YES. Please let Jonny's idea be a thing. I am the co-creator of FTA (Angelus/Katana & Crinale), along with Jonny and Snakenator, and I give you all of my support!

Although, I think maybe we just might have to change the names of Angelus and Crinale, considering I got the names from 2 rival cars from Ridge Racer. Though, I'm not sure about it.
    Last edited by Ace3000; 7th April 2015 at 05:11 AM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Sure guys I don't see why not, you'll have to educate me on Faster Than Angels first though

I've also got a new physics test, you'll need a lot better hardware then the previous one because there's hell of a lot more going on in this (geometry, a bunch of lights, volumetric clouds and realtime GI/simulating light bouncing off surfaces).

Download : https://db.tt/FRQSKC0j

There's two versions available with this (they're both inside the zip). The 2097 setup and the modern setup, both of them are explained in the readme provided as well as the default controls. Let me know which one you prefer, the 2097 setup should hopefully be more accurate to how the older Wipeout's actually controlled, then the Modern setup is the previous physics test which was basically like Wipeout HD but with no grip and bouncier hovering.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Feel free to hit me up with a PM with all your questions, and I shall answer them to the best of my ability!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

I guess the Angelus/Crinale thingy should be no problem, since this is true own work (majorly).
    BTW I watched G.I. Joe Retaliation and was half the movie like "Oh god, somewhere I know that from" XD
    Man in mask, fake head of state, special units. Either coincidence or Illuminati.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

I guess it might be okay. I don't know, I don't major in Copyright Law (like most people). XD

I'll try to test it tonight! Looking foward to it

Timezone
    GMT + 1

As I'm watching this thread from beginning I see very promising project there. I would like to add a contribution to this project. I don't know if you saw my Hyperion project (if not, please read this post: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...342#post241342 , at least Jonny know about it) and I would be pleased if at least part of my work could get real in your game. I don't know if I'm able to create a whole new ship to this game, but if I am (I have to know what to create to make it possible to implement into the game) I could take part of this project.
    And I have some names that I already made up.
    Hyperion (name of project mentioned above) - named after Greek titan who was the first to understand the movement the sun and the moon and the other stars (just team who knows his enemies well)
    Nullcer - I have no idea how I made this up
    Sigmos - ditto

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by Ace3000 View Post
    Feel free to hit me up with a PM with all your questions, and I shall answer them to the best of my ability!
    Only just realized that it's a thread on the forum, gonna go check it all out soon. Can't say the story is my top priority just yet but getting a foothold of something basic is defiantly better then starting with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Meg.A.Byte View Post
    As I'm watching this thread from beginning I see very promising project there. I would like to add a contribution to this project. I don't know if you saw my Hyperion project (if not, please read this post: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...342#post241342 , at least Jonny know about it) and I would be pleased if at least part of my work could get real in your game. I don't know if I'm able to create a whole new ship to this game, but if I am (I have to know what to create to make it possible to implement into the game) I could take part of this project.
    And I have some names that I already made up.
    Hyperion (name of project mentioned above) - named after Greek titan who was the first to understand the movement the sun and the moon and the other stars (just team who knows his enemies well)
    Nullcer - I have no idea how I made this up
    Sigmos - ditto
    Man I remember seeing this at college and I had to call everyone over so we could drool at it, that ship is really good and you have a lot of talent! I would love to help you get your work added to the game. In terms of getting it integrated into the game it's very easy and doesn't require any sort of strict setup or workflow to be followed, I like to keep everything simple and open (Unity helps with that a lot). I can send you a PM with around 3-4 very basic guidelines to make it more suitable to the game if you like, but other then that it would be entirely up to you how you would want to make it.

I'm liking the Team names people have mentioned so far, these will really help a little later down the line, thanks for sharing!