Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replays and Cockpit views?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KingTalo

Lightbulb Replays and Cockpit views?

Any word on these two?

Pulse has actual detailing in the cockpits, so it begs the question will we be getting them back any time soon? Between GT5 and DiRT, it's almost a staple of modern racing games, i hope wipe-dizzle follows suit.

And proper, savable replays i can't imagine how many OMFG-moments i wish i could save, and i'm sure a lot of you feel the same way.

-KT

PSN ID
    infoxicated

There are no replays and there is no cockpit view.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Wow, no replay? That is pathetic. To sacrifice replay for the sake of high-def...icky icky. Any regrets I'm having that I won't get a PS3 are pretty well gone. I can admire the pretty pictures from my PC from the HD website inbetween the glorious pixelated replays of Wip3out.

Tell me there is still an internal view, at least?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

You mean like a nose-cam?

Of course.

I agree that it's pathetic - somehow almost a decade and two generations of hardware ago, WipEout 3 could manage full race replays. It also had full race ghosts, too, not just the single lap variety that's become the norm.

Remember the truly amazing replays in the original Gran Turismo? You could even switch your viewpoint from car to car, and from internal view to external and with or without HUD! All on a little console with one 3 MegaHerz CPU, about 1 Meg of RAM [?] and tiny little memory cards.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yeah, that's technological advancement for you. Onwards and upwards...the stench rises...

Timezone
    GMT -5

Good times, goooooood times...

But it seems high-def takes priority now-a-days.

No replays is really gonna stink...in that case, the only way I could show you all my racing is online! (I would record my races during the actual race, but with the DVD recorder I use, there's a bit of lag between me pressing a button and the action actually being carried out which would hamper my racing ability - so yea, I make good use of replays...can't in HD, it seems.)

[sarcasm]Yep...technology is reeeeeeeeeal graaaaand...[/sarcasm]

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Remember the truly amazing replays in the original Gran Turismo? You could even switch your viewpoint from car to car, and from internal view to external and with or without HUD! All on a little console with one 3 MegaHerz CPU, about 1 Meg of RAM [?] and tiny little memory cards.
    i think that also ridge racers had replays.. am i wrong?
    anyway, i don't mind so much the absence of replays in a game...

With modern huuuuuge processors of great speed/frequency, plus harddrives or flash memory cards, there is just no reason why even better replays should not be done.

---------

Blix: Ridge Racer had very damn' little in the way of replays. The original wouldn't even show you a full lap, and you had no control over them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Forza Motorsport 2 has full-race saveable replays where you can switch to every car, camera, whatever, so it IS possible nowadays. Real pity wipEoutHD won't have that...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KingTalo

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with hardware limitations, it probably has more to do with time. At any rate i don't think this rules out us getting these features in the next true iteration of the series.

My guess is that SL is using this Wipeout to get their feet wet for the next. What with all the trouble these devs have had with getting their engines running, or getting online implemented seamlessly it's really no wonder. I'm hoping they're already at work on the next wipeout, while simultaneously developing this one - would explain the slim list of features.

At any rate for anyone who never got the chance to experience pure/pulse i'm sure this will satisfy (and even for us who have). I still plan on getting it, as long as it stays cheap seeing as to how they will most likely charge for DLC.

Oh and I doubt the next iteration we'll be in 1080p, i've got a nagging feeling that they'll drop it to 720p and just make the physics/visuals incredibly advanced.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I'll start with the disclaimer that I know nothing official, but from a gamer point of view I'm hopeful that if a game like this can be running at 60fps/1080p within a year of the launch of the console I imagine that level will be the standard in a couple of years. The PS3 is an awesome machine and I have no doubt that the things we'll see from the most creative developers will be mindblowing.

The absence of replays is down to time and effort - they take a lot of resources to do and they aren't exactly a "back of the box" feature any longer. Breathtaking 60fps/1080p visuals will sell a lot more copies of the game than 30fps/720p and replays would have.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

they're probably saving all that for wipeout 4. I can imagine this version will have limited online play, also, just so they can sell the full-fledged version to everyone at full retail.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    I'll start with the disclaimer that I know nothing official, but from a gamer point of view I'm hopeful that if a game like this can be running at 60fps/1080p within a year of the launch of the console I imagine that level will be the standard in a couple of years. The PS3 is an awesome machine and I have no doubt that the things we'll see from the most creative developers will be mindblowing.

The absence of replays is down to time and effort - they take a lot of resources to do and they aren't exactly a "back of the box" feature any longer. Breathtaking 60fps/1080p visuals will sell a lot more copies of the game than 30fps/720p and replays would have.
    I hope developers will continue using 720p for a long time because they have a hard time reaching 30fps even with that.

And I dont understand why they take time to do a photomode that will be useless without replays.
    If you dont have time to do both, then only have replays because replays work without photomode.
    Maybe replays take more time to do than photomode but that doesnt change anything imo. Photomode is a waste of time at this state. :/

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quite the collection of sweeping statements, there - I think the people who have been taking snapshots of their custom skins and creating cool PSP wallpaper with their arty photo mode shots of Pulse will disagree with you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Ok, it has a function. Showing your custom skin, thats true.
    But the most fun with taking photos is doing it in battle with opponents, preferably versus friends online. And that is not possible now, you can only take photos when you are not actually racing.

Its a "Show your custom skin"-feature. And your right, that makes it not a waste of time.
    But I guess I want more from a game 2008..

edit: One more thing, it also comes down to how much they will charge for the game. If its much cheaper than retail I guess things like this are not as big of a deal.
    Last edited by Skvall; 25th March 2008 at 10:38 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

And I don't suppose there will be custom skins in wipEout HD, so...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by lochiebrad View Post
    I can imagine this version will have limited online play, also, just so they can sell the full-fledged version to everyone at full retail.
    Are you talking about HD? If so have you bothered to read a single interview from SL on the game?

Yeah, I don't know where he's getting that 'limited' thing from. The online stuff has been a massive part of the development process, right from the start.

I've already touched on the cockpit views in the Pulse forum, but they do take a lot of work to make them something other than just an overlay slapped on the screen. For example, building the HUD into the cockpit goemetry is a given - otherwise, with all the overlays, it'll look too cluttered. That takes time and co-operation between the design department and the artists, to make everything as visible and readable as it would be on a floating HUD.

Multiply that workload by the number of ships - every cockpit being unique - and you have a heck of a lot of extra work for the small team of ship artists.

Add to that the extra programming involved in the dynamics of ship movement and 'head-sway' (the roller coaster effect), and the fact that you can't feasibly show the nose-cone or prongs beyond the cockpit (it would limit visibility) - well, it's a headache to say the least.

Replays require a lot of memory - and a chunk of testing time too, what with ships and weapons exploding all over the place - I'd be surprised if these were even considered as a viable feature from the start. You can't compare Wipeout with Gran Turismo's scalextric racing model at all.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

hehe, 'scalextric racing model' right on the spot that one
    however, it does work with Forza 2 as well, and that one has a pretty sophisticated racing model. (no quakes though, admittedly )