Page 52 of 179 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 3564

Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Sounds good so far... (it's strange, I have a modified version of the game Re-Volt. The mod is the HD Pro one, it's looks epic and it runs at max settings with no lag at all...)

Does Unity have a debug menu that shows the framerate and memory usage? You can use this to check relative performance- for example, on my wife's net-book my Python scripts use about 5% total processing time. whilst on my desktop (Quad core 3 ghz CPU plus GTX 460) processing time goes down to about 0.3%.

You may want to decide now what platform you want the game to run on, i.e. optimise the game for low end hardware or go crazy with eyecandy. The main thing is the racing is smooth (constant framerate) otherwise high speed racing will be difficult if you have a 10 frame drop/ increase as you race.

Okay, so this is almost how Cassandra will look when complete.
    I'm making this using photoshop only just for rapid prototyping of the lighting and building position:
    Attachment 2820
    There are a lot of buildings left to be done...

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Quote Originally Posted by Killercrusher232 View Post
    Sounds good so far... (it's strange, I have a modified version of the game Re-Volt. The mod is the HD Pro one, it's looks epic and it runs at max settings with no lag at all...)
    And i have StuntGP, the best RC car racing game and it works too with no lag and i have no idea what's the difference between my game and this game but i'll do everything in my power to make my game work fast on my old, slow like hell, scrappy crappy Eee PC 1008HA
    @Aspect: Hmmm, there sure is such thing... I forgot about it
    EDIT: Just checked stats and in the most requiring place it shows me:
    Draw Calls: ~400
    Tris: ~260 000
    Verts: ~300 000
    VRam Usage: ~20mb
    60fps
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 8th January 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Hmm.. you may want to make a build of the game just for testing- try it on different hardware. Perhaps you could code a FPS counter (for testing purposes) and people tell you what they get?

With Blender it tells me the percentage of system resources each part is using (which is handy!) so you may have a job seeing what is the bottleneck (if any). I'm guessing Unity requires a strong video card.

On other news, just finished my own node navigation script! It allows me to use any number of nodes in a track and will automatically sort the racers into race order....I can finally rest easy (I get annoyed with myself if these problems linger too long!). Maybe I will get to finish my game too

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    Okay, so this is almost how Cassandra will look when complete.
    I'm making this using photoshop only just for rapid prototyping of the lighting and building position:
    Attachment 2820
    There are a lot of buildings left to be done...
    Looking good man!

Malton (between Brampton and Mississauga. Literally) ,Ontario,Canada
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

Intel Graphics Media accelerator run this?
    I hope, my LGX12 uses it too.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Note that my netbook's graphics media accelerator isn't a graphics card...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I know

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

I'm having hard time while making "ships fire trails" right now as i have no idea on how to make them without using resource requiring particle emitters... The only thing I've found is Line Renderer which i suppose is the best way but site where I found script "Don'tGoThroughThings" just got hacked by spammers yesterday "this site" and i can't access code where something like late transform update was
    Any suggestions on how to make them?
    EDIT: I have an idea, I'll just use switch function to place line renderer's coordinates (in depending on ship's speed time spaces) at the back of the ship alternately... I mean "if (Timer >= 0.3 [ms]), switch (lineRenderer[i.e index "1"] set coordinates on back of ship and then after next 0.3ms set point with index "2" and so on).... something like that...
    EDIT2: Eeeeeh, it won't work...no, wait, It will work!
    Last edited by zero3growlithe; 10th January 2012 at 04:15 PM.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

can't you make it so that the area on fire emits an small animation made to look like fire, that shrinks quickly enough to stop the trail from becoming to long... (this is annoying and complicated to explain) think smoke trails, they are an image that always faces us, it's semi-transparent so it will darken with others behind/in front and it expands whilst fading (in some games at least)

Zero, you can make a static afterburner animated with thust vectoring nozzles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_vectoring

It's more realistic than the ship trails like in wipeout since this system would be the one used to turn the ship, even when stopped.
    In planes it's used for pitch, but if you turn the engine sideways you get yaw.
    This is the F-22's engine:
    Attachment 2825

This can be easily done in a 3D program, you just have to make unity accept transparent materials and add a shine shader of sorts.

PSN ID
    zero3growlithe

Heeeeeee, so you guys are pointing to something more realistic, taken from real life
    btw. Check out those movies, I suppose we'll race in FX league in real life soon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqmdv...layer_embedded
    After watching to answer question like: Whaaaat?!? How it's possible?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AA...layer_embedded
    Who said "WTF?" after watching it?

Lol, already saw those. Aparently the wipeout replica one is fake.
    but the second one is quite feasible. I'm taking this university course so I can investigate those properties of supercooled objects in magnetic fields.
    I said that above because it's easier to make those flames than using the lines inside unity. If unity supports texture alpha transparency and keyframed animations then you got the job done...

Timezone
    GMT + 12

hey guys i just downloaded "Gmax", can someone explain to me what it basicly is? it looks similar to 3DS Max....

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsBom View Post
    hey guys i just downloaded "Gmax", can someone explain to me what it basicly is? it looks similar to 3DS Max....
    Don't use gmax. Use 3ds max. gmax can't export into any useable format unless you have a specific SDK for a game, which you don't for this one...
    I have 5 years of experience with gmax due to the development of aircraft for FS2002/2004 (because gmax was the preferred platform to make the add-ons and there was a specialized SDK for it) and 2 years with 3DS Max 2008 for FSX. Gmax is the downgraded version of 3ds Max 5. Go with 3ds max, it has more tools and more export options.
    Last edited by Xpand; 11th January 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    shamarskii

I drew a zone ship at school today (and my friend was making fun of me at the same time...). I just need to find my camera...

Bom, anything new?

Zone track status [|¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦] (stolen from someone )
    Starting area status [|||¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦] (just got it's "place" with some detail)

P.S. School again, I won't be on every day now...
    P.S.S. Again, with discriptions... How about track discriptions? Like in Pulse! (I can do it at school )
    Last edited by feisar rocket; 11th January 2012 at 01:15 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    Don't use gmax. Use 3ds max. gmax can't export into any useable format unless you have a specific SDK for a game, which you don't for this one...
    ....Go with 3ds max, it has more tools and more export options.
    right, ill stick with 3DS MAX for now, and uninstallling gmax now

Quote Originally Posted by feisar rocket View Post
    I drew a zone ship at school today (and my friend was making fun of me at the same time...)....

....Bom, anything new?...
    lol dont worry feisar rocket, you are not the first person to get made fun of while drawing WipEout realated stuff

as for progress, i havent advanced much, ive been distracted alot lately, zoning in and out all the time, the next thing i know its 3am . But ill try get back to work now

ive made a 2D version of the zone track, (pic below) ,
    and for the zone ship... i havent made any progress from it but will be making some changes to it now: the following primary change im trying to achieve is,
    Smoother look for the ship, espicially the end of the wing. ( feedback from zero3growlithe, Xpand, and killercrusher232 suggests its rather "blocky" )

@zero3growlithe: yes you can just call me "Bom", and i hopefully everyone does too.

stay tuned for updates ( god this sounds cheesy xD )

UPDATES!!

- Changed the look of the main thruster, it is now HD like, a circle one, not that weird looking rectangle one (pic below)
    - Zone Track, done, but only 2D, What the colours mean:
    Black = Lowest in height
    Drak-Grey = Second lowest height
    and so on... so White will mean that the section of the track is at the highest point of the track.
    (note for Xpand/zero3growlithe the height differences, between each section, doesn't have to be huge... but you guys can decide. )
    - Secondary Thrusters have been moved closer to the main thruster ( Pic below )
    - Ive rendered the new look of the thrusters and it looks AWESOME!!! ( definitely keeping the new look ) ( Picture below )
    - Coloured the thrusters, hope they look good

UPCOMING CHANGES!!

- Xpand/zero3growlithe will be taking over and continue thework of the zone ship, bcause ive hit a dead end. ( Refer to post #1040 )
    Last edited by MyNameIsBom; 11th January 2012 at 10:35 AM.

PSN ID
    Killercrusher232

Looking good man!
    The quote says it all

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Unhappy Bad news

I have bascily hit a dead end, ive been trying to adjust the ZoneShip's shape but i kept getting the wrong results, i am rather limited to what i can do on google sketchup, and on 3ds max i havent even got the hang of it yet :/

So Xpand/zero3growlithe/anyone who is an advanced user of 3DS MAX or Blender(?), i will have to hand over the work, i have done so far, to you. the bit im stuck on is to adjust the ship and make it less "blocky", because i cannot unable to do it, as i said before i am limited to what i can do, but i hope i have done enough to help

the .DAE files are below, there are 2 version of the zoneship:
    1. the based-on-WOHD design (filename: ZoneShipHDFury.zip)
    2. and the not-so-based-on-WOHD-design (filename: ZonShipV3.3.zip)

both of them are kind of similar, but theyre slightly different
    Last edited by MyNameIsBom; 11th January 2012 at 10:36 AM.