Thread: New to Wipeout; looking for some people to add.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Default New to Wipeout; looking for some people to add.

So I got this game with PSN+ last year and initially didn't like it, so I put it down pretty quickly. About a week and a half ago GreenyMac showed up on an IRC room I frequent (the Mario Kart Wii Pro Players' Lounge) and suggested I try it out again, and the rest is history.

I'm not at all good right now (still having trouble with some of the more complex shortcuts and some inconsistency on Phantom in general) but I figure that'll change quick if I can get in on some pro players' lobbies and see how it's done. Please note that until the freebies from the PSN outage come up, I won't have Fury, so I wouldn't be able to do any elim/zb (=<) or the new tracks if I were to join in.

I've already raced a few of you (though I can't remember exactly who, just that Greeny's pointed people out to me over the past three days I've played online) and had a blast, so I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and put the PSN tags to the name, as it were.

And yes, the jumble of random letters that comprises my username is the same as my PSN: Qgstkpnjtp. Long story behind it XD. Might be better if people interested in adding me just post their tags here and I can add them instead ( ¬‿¬)

By the way, you guys can probably expect to get a bunch more players from the aforementioned MKW Pro Lounge, courtesy of Greeny =D Most of them were (and some still are) among the best in the world at MKW right from the get-go, so once they've started getting the hang of things, they'll be improving super quickly.

See you all on the track. =D
    Last edited by Qgstkpnjtp; 3rd June 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Hi and welcome to the forums.

A question, if you don't mind: do you know your username by heart?

(Also GJ GreenyMac on the indoctrination!)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Yeah, I do know it by heart lol

just memorised it in thirds =D

For a bunch of random letters, it had a bit of a ring to it, which though strange did help quite a bit ( ¬‿¬)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I though you might of dropped something on your keyboard while registering your PSN user name, or dyslexic...just joking.

Another Aussie, ye hee.
    Welcome aboard, which state are you situated in?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Well, to cut a long story short, one of the best and luckiest players in MKWii used random letters as his name online, so as a joke I used random letters for my name as well and it kind of stuck. How is still a mystery.

I live in NSW, but I'll be moving to Brisbane next year.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I thought about moving up north, but ....not wanting to come across as a snob.... I would rather hang around with people who wore long trousers and shoes, rather than shorts and thongs 24/7.
    It's a different mind set up there, climate driven I defer, my sister lives up north.
    Nice for a break, but I couldn't live there, it would do my head in.
    I hate driving, and you really need a car up there, rather ironic coming from somebody at a racing game forum

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Hahaha, yeah that's one thing about qld in general, very casual and touristy, but at the same time I don't really like how Sydney is so grey and bland in the affordable places. I'm going to Brisbane because it's fairly close to home and I do need to go through university at some stage ( ¬‿¬)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

Nice to see you here Pyro! Welcome to the wipeoutzone brother. I'm not even gonna attempt to remember the random jumble of letters that is your psn ID so I'll just stick with pyro.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

welcome here you can see most people's psn id's in the top right of their posts as you can with mine here add me if you like I'm always up for some racing. and though I'm not sure how good a teacher I am I'm always up for teaching all my tricks ^_^

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

Welcome aboard. I raced with you last night and was really impressed by what I saw. You've definitely got some real potential in the game.

PSN ID
    Colonel__Gaddafi, Erik_Ponti

Couldn't agree more DP, for somebody that has been playing a couple of weeks, VERY impressive. Looks like the Wipeout / Mario Kart comparisons are fairer than some may like to think

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

it's not wrong to call wipEout the 'evolution' of mario kart.
    or u can say it's a merger between mario kart + f-zero.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    greenymac

I'm hoping a few other mkwii friends take hold of this game also, there should be more good pilots in that mix...

PSN ID
    Darox94

Hey. New to HD but ace at Pulse (zone 98, yak yak yak). Add me

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

mkw is nothing at all like this game really... mkw is all about item skill and strategy with a side of lowering airtime as much as possible, wipeout's about lines, shortcuts and energy management with a side of dodging bombs. I'm not sure which I like better to be honest, but the luck factor in mkw can lead to a lot of frustration.

srsly to be successful at mkw you only need to be within a couple seconds of world records. in wipeout, that's a pretty big deal. in mkw, the difference between a world record and a noob using the fastest character is a few seconds, or an extra hit by a red shell.

anyway, once E3's over, some more mkw players should be coming across. keep an eye out. =D

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Augmentator

I can vouche for that. I'm an old MarioKart pro but this is a whole new beast. There are similarities but too different all the same. In my opinion, Wipeout is better. Faster, more aggressive, more precision-based. Only downside is harder to learn. But for the adamant, it's a diamond in the rough.

Oh and feel free to add me. I'm no pro and don't play online yet, but I'm nearly confident enough to. I'll be on by next week at this rate. I look forward to the challenge. And the losses. XD

Timezone
    GMT -5

Imagine if Studio Liverpool could pull off a '9tendo' team in Wipeout legally. Imagine what the ship skins could look like. Beyond plain old 'gold skins' as awards, there would be 'starpower skins', and ships with 8-bit designs.

For bonus points, it would be cross-multiplayer b/w Vita, 3DS, PS3 and Wii-U.

[EDIT]
    For any mkw players out there, my wii code is now visible from my 'biography' area in my profile (there's no area for wii code specifically). message me if you want to see how a real wipeout player plays mario kart wii.
    Last edited by siriusglee; 11th June 2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: added wii code revelation

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

Bad form... Well some tactics are more accepted depending on speed class on phantom stopping to shoot the person behind you is usually frowned upon and so is active ramming probably because you lose a lot more time because of that stuff in phantom than in the slower speed classes. But I mean its all up to the individual player. Though some people might not want to race with violent players. Im a bit... How should I put it? I dont care much except for the stopping to shoot someone on phantom races mostly cause it intentionally ruins the race of the other person.

Mostly though its all do unto others as you would like them to do to you.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Qgstkpnjtp

Quote Originally Posted by siriusglee View Post
    For any mkw players out there, my wii code is now visible from my 'biography' area in my profile (there's no area for wii code specifically). message me if you want to see how a real wipeout player plays mario kart wii.
    if you're looking for people to add, better to try mariokartwii.com.

anyway I'm gonna start adding people now that I can drive phantom without killing myself

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Quote Originally Posted by Oryx Crake View Post
    I dont care much except for the stopping to shoot someone on phantom races mostly cause it intentionally ruins the race of the other person.
    Chances are, if you're trying to do this in a phantom race with semi-skilled opponents, that they'll simply evade and outrun you. You brake, you lose

Or at least, that what happens to me whenever I try to be clever