Page 24 of 161 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD Videos

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It generally involves boosting twice before the line, after pressing select in between, to get extra speed from the boosts and the barrel roll after getting enough air. I just feel it's that bit too far. Barrel rolls change one wipeout game compared to the last. This is a feature introduced by the patch which, as with the online game, alters the way HD speed lapping works (not in all cases, but a fair few over time I suspect). As I say, it does take some skill, it isn't possible on all track, and I'm sure you're right leungbok, it will be slightly different on each track you use depending on the topology of that track before the line. But it's essentially still the same trick.

The way you pull off the rest of the anulpha reverse lap with those barrel rolls on the turns is, in my opinion, far more impressive and skillful than the boost-select trick. At the end of the day, all those who are competing at the top end of speed lap will probably learn these tricks form the videos you kindly post on youtube, and therefore can go and use them and improve their own times. In the end, the rankings will probably end up just as they were before. However, in my view, that's another reason why it would have been better off without this new feature, as those of use who want to keep our ranking up are obliged to go through the whole process again, with no real value at the end of it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    The way you pull off the rest of the anulpha reverse lap with those barrel rolls on the turns is, in my opinion, far more impressive and skillful than the boost-select trick.
    Oh no mate, trust me the 5 other br are peanuts, just try the select-boost on anulpha you'll have difficulties to press select on time and to get enough air for an extra br (without this br the select-boost is useless)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Wow! You're right. I've managed to do that double barrel roll on the right hander a couple of times, but not the boost-select. I wouldn't call the BRs peanuts though, they're still pretty tough

The boost-select does make SL different now though, and it still means that a lot of people will have to redo laps which were previously clost to perfect, or as close as they could get. I'd still prefer it without this as I see it more as an exploit of the patch and don't think it represents a faster way around the track. It's not something anyone can apply to online races.

I guess it has it's good and bad points. I suppose for those who are really interested in SL it keep it fresh and exciting. So I concede on this one. It hasn't "ruined" SL. I was wrong.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Yes mate it's the point (it's a harder trick than it looks) !
    And when you succeed, it's a big adrenaline rush too, very fun to do, like some "classical" shortcuts using a single boost

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

ive watched the video, and re-read your post many times sat, but this boost-select trick still makes no sense to me whatsoever how an earth does pressing select have any baring on things at all?

ill give it a go when i get a chance to, no doubt a practical experiment will make things clearer

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

basso you boost earlier than you would normally (right before the line on most tracks) so that you grab some air, then you press select to get another boost (because you can do that if you botch a lap) and you boost again while in mid-air. this allows you to get a BR on top of the boost that you would usually get going into a fast lap
    hope this helpd

Boost - select - boost is obviously skillful and all, but imo it`s an exploit and has little to do with driving/racing/flying your ship. It`s finding a loophole in the game programming and exploiting it, which means that speed lap is to some extent broken. Yes it requires skill and could well be fun to do, but it would be tough to argue that the game is meant to be played like that . The game is obviously not real, but exploits like this take it too far from what would happen in reality. It makes old times out of date and creates two tiers in the tables perhaps. I don`t blame people for doing it to compete, but to me it`s an unforeseen and very unfortunate change in the game. It`s a shame because the press select to cancel a lap option seemed a good idea to start with. Oh well, another way in which wipeout hd is broken.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

OBH - The video leungbok posted just before should be a far better explanation than my words.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

it's a bit hard because there is a time before you can press select again after the turbo. if you press too early, you don't have the turbo.

i think they will increase this time to avoid this exploit..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Boost - select - boost is obviously skillful and all, but imo it`s an exploit and has little to do with driving/racing/flying your ship. It`s finding a loophole in the game programming and exploiting it, which means that speed lap is to some extent broken. Yes it requires skill and could well be fun to do, but it would be tough to argue that the game is meant to be played like that . The game is obviously not real, but exploits like this take it too far from what would happen in reality. It makes old times out of date and creates two tiers in the tables perhaps. I don`t blame people for doing it to compete, but to me it`s an unforeseen and very unfortunate change in the game. It`s a shame because the press select to cancel a lap option seemed a good idea to start with. Oh well, another way in which wipeout hd is broken.
    "Exploits like this take it too far" ? Because a "clean racing" limit is necessary for a fair competition ? WTF
    The game is made to be played as you want, online you can play with or without br/pilot assist/weapons, and speedlaps are made to be raced the fastest as possible. If people don't like the find like shortcuts, new br, select-boosts, they can create an unofficial league with strict rules. We are not exploiting a glitch based on luck, the select option is OFFICIAL, like using a single boost just before passing the starting line, it's a tip, nothing else (ok, it need practice to be mastered, and what ?). Why don't people just try to learn those new tricks instead of blaming that for "killing the game".
    My personal view on that : I try to compete with the top pilots, when some of them find a new way of going faster, i MUST learn it !! If i don't, i can find an other way of going faster, i can also give up (no dishonour on that) for many reasons, too hard for my skills, not enough time to learn those new difficulties because of work, family ..., but if i can't perform a new find it's only BECAUSE of me (except for a real cheat, off course) !!
    And Lunar, mate, the boost-select-option as ALL to do with driving/racing/flying your ship, it's not sufficient to press select to improve your time, you have to boost at the exact place, with a precise line, to nose up at the right moment, to press select at the exact moment without loosing your line, and after all that, you must manage to br, maybe that's not driving/racing or flying, but then you'll have to explain me that, because i don't see !

And what killed the game for me ! Not being able to play online with my main account, the ghosts that disapeared from my save folder (like my last anulpha reverse speedlap phantom ), those problem are not MEAN TO EXIST in a great game like wohd !!

Oh, and a last thing : it works perfectly on venom class, even with a piranha, but it's not fair, what a pity !!
    Last edited by leungbok; 27th May 2009 at 07:38 PM.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

One thing about this zico will be alot easier , thats kind of unfair all those peps that spent hours, days, weeks to obtain this trophy. But what you going to do an average pilot could pull this off with less required effort, would the br onto the ledge still be required if you get the one at the start using this err strategy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

@leungbook :
    lunar is just trying to explain that this has not been taken into account when programming the select option, this is not the way it was thought. ti was just to make each lap a attempt, because you had to save the turbo from previous lap.
    that's why he calls it an exploit. i think SL just imagined it as players would press select only once.
    now they see it, and maybe fix it, what would become all records achieved using this?

of course, the thing was to obtain the best time, and select-turbo-select helps.
    but now those records are on the ladder, they must leave it, to make things fair.

so S-T-S is now a must do, and that's bad, i think.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I tried it on Anulpha Reverse at Phantom speed. It was, as leungbok said, very difficult. I didn't even get close and if I hadn't seen a video I would have said it was impossible. If it's anything like as difficult at Venom speed on Anulpha then it really won't make Zico any easier whatsoever.

I still see it as an exploit too but when I consider how hard it is in this case and also that I don't have to keep redoing laps to get the boost back (to use at the start of the next one), I think now that perhaps the exploit is a fair trade for the new feature.

The fact that you can hit select more than once in a lap does now make me wonder if this kind of thing was actually expected/encouraged when it was implimented. Or maybe it's just so we can get around the track as quickly as possible on void laps. Who knows?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

it's definately an exploit but there are plenty of other shorcuts and stuff that i think fall under the same category. there are some tracks where it's quite easy to pull off but i'd say it's pretty useless for most tracks.

tried both anulpha's today: result - impossible. leungbok you're a mentalist
    makes me wish i could use motion for pitch (i tried, i failed)...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by XBARNSTERX View Post
    One thing about this zico will be alot easier , thats kind of unfair all those peps that spent hours, days, weeks to obtain this trophy. But what you going to do an average pilot could pull this off with less required effort, would the br onto the ledge still be required if you get the one at the start using this err strategy.
    It's not an easier way but an OTHER way of succeeding on zico !
    And myself, i beat zico the first month the game was released without any select option !
    As i told to Saturn who tried it, try this trick ! It requires training too !!
    Just a new option for those who can't, despite their efforts, succeed in some br of the zico's trophy, not a 100% certain way of success !!

Quote Originally Posted by Spece2goin View Post
    but now those records are on the ladder, they must leave it, to make things fair.
    You kidding right ? If not, you compare me with the numerous guys with glitched times on the single races boards !! I appreciate, regarding the efforts i have made to master this trick !
    What is unfair, i don't understand ? To have found a miraculous and easy way of improving my times far beyond my piloting skills ? in that case you're right, what can i say ? You seems to perfectly know what you're talking about !! And my pseudo is Leungbok with ONE "o".

And who knows what Sony Liverpool thougt when they included the select option on HD ? Not me anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    it's definately an exploit but there are plenty of other shorcuts and stuff that i think fall under the same category. there are some tracks where it's quite easy to pull off but i'd say it's pretty useless for most tracks.

tried both anulpha's today: result - impossible. leungbok you're a mentalist
    makes me wish i could use motion for pitch (i tried, i failed)...
    Thanks Yeldar !
    Last edited by leungbok; 27th May 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

To people who doesn't like the new boost-select-boost because you believe to be best than users of this option :

Please show us your time in Time Trial, because you can't do boost-select-boost in Time Trial.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

Heh, I had a go at B-S-B on Anulpha yesterday as well. It looked so easy on the video...

I still think it's unfair - mainly because I'm not able to pull of a single one

Crazy flying Leungbok!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Thanks mic-dk ! You tried first and then explained your opinion

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

Had a couple of goes at it and just couldn't get my fingers set up correctly to pull it off.

Do those that use it use the stick or the D-pad ??

In theory would it be easier to do at venom speed than phantom as you get more "reaction" time ??

I'll stick to Zone me thinks, L1, R1 and D-pad. Just about right amount of buttons for my age !!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I use the d-pad and motion control (only for pitch, in that case it helps a lot )
    I do it consistently on anulpha forward at phantom speed (a little bit harder on the reverse), and for the venom speed i managed to do a good time using it, but i didn't practice that much at this speed to really decide if it's easier at this speed (not sure anyway ! theorically you need speed to nose up sufficiently for having enough height to br).