Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AGR2280 - A Wipeout inspired racing game

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Lightbulb AGR2280 | Now BallisticNG

Project has changed
    Please see my BallisticNG thread for what this project is now.
    There will be unlockable 2280 tracks and ships in BallisticNG, these ships will use AGR2280's physics.

GitHub
    Last edited by bigsnake; 12th July 2015 at 09:15 AM.

That looks pretty epic! You're using Unity Pro, right?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Azurooth

Ohh i like. Really interesting how it will turn out in the end. I'm gonna keep an eye on this. Keep up the good work!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by Xpand View Post
    That looks pretty epic! You're using Unity Pro, right?
    Yeah I am, I was saving up for the entirety of 2012 to purchase a license after messing around with the free version so I can later add features that are otherwise impossible with the free version.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm hoping that now I don't have to spend as much time on the physics I can finally get some actual content done for the game.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 8th December 2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Didn't reply with quote

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

It looks very nice indeed. Especially the physics, great work. So you are programming and modeling this all by yourself?

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    It looks very nice indeed. Especially the physics, great work. So you are programming and modeling this all by yourself?
    At the moment it is just me, I haven't made a plan for the future but as the development progresses I might start to ask if people want to contribute. Before anything like that though, I hope to have the physics polished off and wall collisions working correctly.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Looks good so far, I'll play it soon and give you my feedback!

Keep at it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MiKuDev

Congratulations, you did great job man! Although collisions are punishing me almost like collisions in the first Wipeout . On a note I would prefer to use air breaks without need to press left/right. However I played using keyboard, then DS3 and after few laps I've almost get used to it anyway . Other thing is that physics are quite stiff like in HD, many people will love that anyway but not necessary me I would prefer floaty physics - but like I said it's just me. BTW. I've done some experiments with floaty physics since I want to recreate W3O:SE physics for fun, results: http://mi-ku.net/projekty/FusionCure/WebBuild.html Of course the purpose of this mini project is not to compete with yours, SSGX nor original Wipeout, it's just my own experiment and I'm giving the link just to compare physics .

Hmm interesting... Btw I'm ThreeDManiak. It's not me who you should worry about, it's Sony, since that's still their intelectual property, but as long as you don't use those models for a monetary purpose (or in anything that gets too much attention) I think you can go under the radar (provided you give the credit to them).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

Looks very interesting! Sadly, I don't have a PC (yet! I have a useless modified mac ATM that cannot run this or SSGX for that matter), but this looks like a very fun game to try! The ship that you have looks very Icaras-esque, while the track is a la Modesto Heights/Ubermall inspired? Great progress so far though!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerx View Post
    I've done some experiments with floaty physics since I want to recreate W3O:SE physics for fun, results: http://mi-ku.net/projekty/FusionCure/WebBuild.html Of course the purpose of this mini project is not to compete with yours, SSGX nor original Wipeout, it's just my own experiment and I'm giving the link just to compare physics .
    That's a nice little demo, the camera makes the ship's handling feel weird but it does feel quite like a PS1 wipeout. As Xpand said though, just be cautious with using Sony copyrighted content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike458 View Post
    The ship that you have looks very Icaras-esque, while the track is a la Modesto Heights/Ubermall inspired? Great progress so far though!
    Haha you've banged the nail on there head there. The ship is actually inspired by both Feisar and Icarus, the nose being more like Feisar and the cockpit and wings being the Icarus inspire part. When I started the track it was shaped much like Ubermall just as a test, then I reworked the track layout.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

This evening I have been working on the physics for an entirely different mode. After DreamerX had mentioned the old PS1 physics, the idea to have a classic mode thing sprung to mind. This mode will have separate content from the normal game, besides the ships. Here's a video.

Let me know what you think so far, It's not perfect but I feel that it's a good start. The way I also plan to work on AGR2280 now is to work on the normal mode for a week, then work on the classic mode for a week and keep switching between the two.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

It is a good start, although just as an aesthetic comment, I would lower the walls, that track feels very restrictive.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Yeah I can see what you mean, this was just a test track while I worked on the ship and camera but I'll make sure the actual tracks have lower walls.
    Last edited by Colonel; 11th February 2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quotes

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Cool, I can't wait to see the final product with such a promising start!

(Btw, try not to quote the post directly above yours unless it's a long post and you're only quoting part of it )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KronicReaper88

I'm keeping tabs on this on FB and also Slipstream GX on FB too.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

After some time taking a break from developing AGR2280 after Christmas I return from a month of slowly getting back into the jig of things with this.

Since I'm using the Pulse Feisar model in that video it does have to be mandatory that I mention that it's copyright of Sony and LPS and will not be used in any builds of the game I upload. Other then that, the first thing anyone should notice is that the artstyle has changed. I was originally looking to go for a more realistic look to the game but over the past month I've decided to go for a more cartoony look. I'm not sure where I want to go with this style yet but I'll see what happens as time goes by.

The physics and camera have also had some adjustments. The camera is now designed so that the nose of the ship is always in the center of the screen so the ship feels more much springy then before, the ship itself has had some changes to the hovering to make it more stable (plus other tweaks like airbraking without turning will now start to rotate your ship aswell). Another thing on the ship is that the code for maglocks is now implemented and working so tracks using maglocks can be made. Lastly a huge thanks to zero3growlithe who helped me greatly with the wall collisions, they still aren't perfect yet but they are getting very close to it. I'm not going to provide a build just yet because there is still a lot of stuff I want to do but I do plan to release one soonish (hopefully).

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

That looks really, really good so far! The turning seems to be on par with HD's, the barrel rolling looks cool, and the overall physics seem very much like HD's as well. Looking forward to playing around with this when the next build gets released.

Oh yeah, also, I totally forgot about designing some of the logos for the teams. I had stoooopid final year exams to blame for that, (also had to find a good 3D animation college lol). But now, I have some time to start getting creative. Keep up the awesome work bigsnake.

Looks awesome!
    Also that track reminds me a lot of Arridos IV.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Arrow

Dude... that's like, SOOOO much improvement!! Fantastic progress there, I can't wait to see what this becomes!