View Poll Results: Racing with same online level

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i am lvl20+ and i don't race with lower levels, because i prefer harder pilots

4 9.09%
  • Yes, but only with the real newbies, which are lvls 1-10

4 9.09%
  • Only counts in few cases

11 25.00%
  • Online level is just an excuse for have a decent online community. Also you level up playing only

25 56.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider the online level?

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Online level hardly matters. I'm at 66 at the moment and even when u are 'just' at 30-something today, you should know by now which players in your preferred speedclass match and who don't. But I do join races hosted by players I do not know to see what will happen. There are sometimes some natural talents (or fake accounts) that could give me high blood pressure. 2 weeks ago I a raced a guy/gal from the Netherlands with psn kiessmat (or so); was on rank 7-10 (that's approx. 1 to 3 hours online) and he had Top 50 MP Phantom times regulary. Got suspicious and checked the trophies - well, (near) 100%. Wow. I even mailed him my kudos - no reaction. Some hours later that day another player from the Netherlands appeared (forgot the PSN iD was something w/ "I..1.." ) nearly same skill, online rank 2+, kicked but big time, 0% trophies, never seen again.

On the other hand: There are some new players who just started w/ WOHD shortly after xmas. Some of these are challenging and gaining fast. Looking forward to compete.

btw, and what's that color thing you're talking about?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

I think it's the norwegian flag they're on about...

I don't put anything into the onlinerank. After a few races you pretty much got the room ranked. That said, I'd rather join a room full of names I've raced before (even if it means getting my butt kicked), rather than just join any random room.

PSN ID
    Dark_Phantom_89

I don't look at the online level, but rather the name of the pilot. I've raced against pretty much all of the major players from the zone at some point and I know that if I meet one online, it's going to be a good race

Quote Originally Posted by kaori View Post
    You are right in part. Blue white red can show american, dutch, uk, australia or french wipers too.

And New Zealand.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Ahh this old topic again I said ages ago i think the online rank was nothing more than a "whos-got-no-job-o-meter". If their were seperate ranks for each game mode, and your rank could decrease if you lost, it would be a much more accurate measuring stick.

If you want to get a good idea of how good somone is, check out their TT & SL times.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    And New Zealand.
    And Paraguay too...
    I just said the flags I often meet.

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Quote Originally Posted by osama bin haydn View Post
    Ahh this old topic again I said ages ago i think the online rank was nothing more than a "whos-got-no-job-o-meter".
    As is w/ # posts per year on BBSs

Yes, I feel I am discriminated

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by osama bin haydn View Post
    If you want to get a good idea of how good somone is, check out their TT & SL times.
    So we can conclude you're not that bad at this game, Haydn !

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

I'll look at the levels for Eliminator and to a lesser extent Zone Battle. A genuine level 2 player could be a challenge in a race, knowing lines and BRs from offline, but for Eliminator there are so many different strategies and behaviors online that you will not learn playing offline.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    So we can conclude you're not that bad at this game, Haydn !
    Haha! Average at best I might have had a different opinion if i was higher than a measly lvl.38 or something!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Lol, i didn't know if i already passed the level 30, mate !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hey guys,

after some crazy online racing yesterday, just wanted to add my 2 cents here... Well maybe that's going to be a little bit offtopic...

Altough I'll tend to agree with the common point of view which is TT/SL times are a good way to evaluate someone's skills, I would add online level/experience (and so the badge level thing -if someone is not using different accounts of course-) really matters. My point is; someone -me for example lol- who's practically never playing online, except for some special occasions eh eh, and simply spending his time into speed lap mode, will be severely out of his marks online. I should add I'm not playing TT that much too, so it's even more obvious for me.

I'm ranked 45 or something, but I'm not playing regularly. My point is playing online -really- often, like several hours each week, and switching sometimes with offline modes (SL/TT/Zone) is the key. Online environment is really something different, where your ping (especially when playing with people faaar away from you), download/upload speed are playing a good part too in your results. The more balanced you'll be, the more you'll get used to this different universe.

Again, to stay on my example, when I'm online, I'm loosing all my marks compared to offline. Of course weapon use is certainly not my best strenght, I'm that kind of absorb/pacifist guy, but when I see myself eating this incredible amount of walls each races, I can't just blame myself -lol-; there's automatically some kind of latency, delays in your inputs (that's why some of us started to talk about handling problems after certain updates)... Which can be really frustrating and give you the feeling online play is awful compared to the unplugged modes. I've understood it's not the case, you just have to adapt yourself, so don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to find any kind of excuses. The best offline dudes are also the best online players... Especially if they're balancing their game time between each modes. I'll tend to say the priority should be given to online play. I've always improved my speed lap times drastically some days after an avalon meeting.

Sorry guys this post is kinda selfish, just wanted to justify in some way my recurrent epic online fail ah ah, compared to my speed lap times. That's why I'm going to be online more often before the grand finale, I think a 10 days online-only training camp could be a good way to better prepare myself to this experience lol.
    Last edited by kanar; 21st January 2010 at 08:52 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@kanar: "... but when I see myself eating this incredible amount of walls each
    races, I can't just blame myself -lol- ..."
    lol Keep going! xD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    il_mago_di_Doz

Hi Kanar, we are psn-friends, so I've seen your incredible improvement in speed lap times , and I just wanted to say that I'm in a simil situation with online racing. I usually play offline, with Icaras.
    When I go online it's all another world for me.
    Maybe because of the different ship (feisar), maybe because of the weapons (I'm a pacifist guy too ^_^), I don't know, just wanted to say that...
    you're not alone!
    Last edited by il_mago_di_Doz; 26th January 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

eh eh thanks mate, yeah I'm way too much offline to be used to the online mayhem anyway. But no matter how many walls I'm eating, I'm always happy to race with all my friends online. Don't care about the final rankings at the end of the race, just care about the let's be friends motto only.

rank in the game measures nothing. as stated by saturn its how much you have played.

but it dosnt measure you well if much of the time you played was offline.

SL and TT freaks will show up lower rank online yet will play with great skill.

also low ank dosnt always mean crap player.

many players make up other ids for various reasons.

so basically all you can really tell from rank is if its really hight they should be from anything to quite good to elite and low ranks is lucky did from noob to elite.

the only way i can tell how skillful a player may be is by their name, meaning i have played this player and know how fast they are.i like to know my fellow players rather than playing randoms and secret id's.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Loopan2k

I just race, doesn't matter to me if their lvl 20 or lvl 1.

PSN ID
    alexthekid9

I like racing against higher ranked racers as I tend to not go online often, so I have a low ranking compared to how I race and it tends to surprise people most of the time. I don't think I'll be good like i used to though, as I haven't played for a bit.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by alexk9 View Post
    I don't think I'll be good like i used to though, as I haven't played for a bit.
    So, you don't surprise people that much anymore !

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default I havent voted for any

I agree with Jasmin and Saturn, I dont think its an indicator for anything other than time spent online, you cant really use it to gauge how good the other racers are. It seems to be quite a small community though, you soon recognize whos good and who isnt.