Thread: Steam Early Access update 20160819

Timezone
    GMT -8

Default Steam Early Access update 20160819

hi all

We’ve been working very hard since our 20160725 build and are pleased to announce that as of Friday 0003h GMT you’ll be seeing an update which has numerous improvements, additions, changes and fixes:

- destruction sequence improvements - WIP
    - multiplayer - lobby auto-refreshes - in-lobby text chat - player tag occlusion - optimisation - WIP
    - aesthetic tweaks / changes to Trans Atol
    - aesthetic tweaks / changes to Niagara
    - aesthetic tweaks / changes to Mannahatta
    - new pickup health and weapon icons - WIP
    - SFX tweaks - still WIP
    - multiple bug fixes
    - weapons system tweaks and additions - WIP
    - introduction of KERS system (see below) - WIP

WEAPONS: pick primary and secondary weapons in garage - pickup energy charges to fire with Right or Left shoulder buttons
    KERS v1.0 - KINETIC ENERGY RECOVERY SYSTEM - WIP:
    - (see blue bar at base of HUD) deploy KERS by holding Left and Right upper shoulder buttons together for a temporary speed boost.
    - collect KERS Crystals during a race - harvest Crystals from destroyed craft - WIP
    - KERS rewards perfect piloting; collisions reduce and achieving the perfect line accelerates collection of Crystals

More news to follow shortly re the re-opening of the TPP.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've just been having a quick test of the new build.

KERS doesn't seem to be working, I've tried numerous times.
    When I look in options > Controls, the top shoulder buttons aren't listed, maybe that has something to do with it, as if nothing is mapped to those controls, then any input from them will be ignored ?
    I've tried holding down both shoulder buttons for differing amounts of time hoping that might trigger the speed boost, 99% of the time nothing happens, it 'Might' of happened once on Manahatta, but the delay from button pressing to when the speed boost occurred was several seconds, and caused my ultimate destruction, I'm still not sure what happened on that race..... EDIT - after several more races, for some reason I seem to inexplicably explode in a ball of flames for no apparent reason, it's not from other craft collision, or running into mines.... it's as if my shield has suddenly died... very strange.

On a positive note, I like how you have brighten things up on Trans Atol with the yellow on some of the overhead girders, and side banking, still in two minds about what seems to me to be a added amount of opacity [dustiness sort of look -reminds me of Temptesh Bay from Fusion]

I also like that you have brightened up the tunnel sections of Niagara, that was sorely needed, and you managed to do it just subtly enough that you can now see where you are going a lot better than before, without losing the cavernous feeling of that part of the track.

The raised speed pads were a bit of a shock when I first saw them, they look quite high when in cockpit view, but not so much that they are a distraction.....speaking about speed pads, looks like you have moved some [removed] or altered the configuration somewhat on Niagara and Trans Atol, looks like I'm having to learn them again.
    Hopefully I can try Online this weekend

Some small requests for the next build.
    1] A countdown start - the current one is similar to waiting for traffic lights to change - I also find the Green start/finish sign uninspiring
    2] Ability to lock players race view in options, I have to change it manually each race and after being re-spawned.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 19th August 2016 at 06:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8

hi BW

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

When I look in options > Controls, the top shoulder buttons aren't listed, maybe that has something to do with it, as if nothing is mapped to those controls, then any input from them will be ignored ?
    I've tried holding down both shoulder buttons for differing amounts of time hoping that might trigger the speed boost, 99% of the time nothing happens, it 'Might' of happened once on Manahatta, but the delay from button pressing to when the speed boost occurred was several seconds, and caused my ultimate destruction, I'm still not sure what happened on that race..... EDIT - after several more races, for some reason I seem to inexplicably explode in a ball of flames for no apparent reason, it's not from other craft collision, or running into mines.... it's as if my shield has suddenly died... very strange.
    interesting - I’m away at Gamesom right now so I can’t confirm mapping and spontaneous combustion issues on Steam - I’ll ask the studio to have a look and see if they can replicate

the current plan is that KERS should only be activated when it’s at 100% - right now you seem to be able to use it almost anywhere on the gauge

the delay you mention is a balancing issue and we’re keen to hear what people think about it - turbo lag right now?

Plans for KERS are to move to being able to finish a race and convert to Tech Credits within the garage. Alternatively, when racing with your team mate (2 person team) with pilot to pilot VOIP, donate or transfer KERS to them if they need a speed boost or shield power-up.

It’s clearly a new dynamic which hopefully introduces a whole new set of interesting challenges to competitive teams.

On a positive note, I like how you have brighten things up on Trans Atol with the yellow on some of the overhead girders, and side banking, still in two minds about what seems to me to be a added amount of opacity [dustiness sort of look -reminds me of Temptesh Bay from Fusion]

I also like that you have brightened up the tunnel sections of Niagara, that was sorely needed, and you managed to do it just subtly enough that you can now see where you are going a lot better than before, without losing the cavernous feeling of that part of the track.

The raised speed pads were a bit of a shock when I first saw them, they look quite high when in cockpit view, but not so much that they are a distraction.....speaking about speed pads, looks like you have moved some [removed] or altered the configuration somewhat on Niagara and Trans Atol, looks like I'm having to learn them again.
    Hopefully I can try Online this weekend

Some small requests for the next build.
    1] A countdown start - the current one is similar to waiting for traffic lights to change - I also find the Green start/finish sign uninspiring
    2] Ability to lock players race view in options, I have to change it manually each race and after being re-spawned.
    [/QUOTE]

Countdown start is being worked on
    Camera choice is a fix in progress - it pisses me off too ;-)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Since finding people I consider worthy of the test codes to be given out, since I had little feedback in my neck of the woods [most are PSN members-not Steam].... I thought , fair enough, let's gain interest where it counts.

I couldn't help myself, I had to PSM Infoxicated and give him a code.
    Even though he says his laptop is 5 years old, I think somehow, somewhere, he will test this build..... as I said to him, No BR's No BS, FF is like the Wipeout of old as a racer

Timezone
    GMT -8

thanks for that

Since finding people I consider worthy of the test codes to be given out, since I had little feedback in my neck of the woods [most are PSN members-not Steam].... I thought , fair enough, let's gain interest where it counts.

I couldn't help myself, I had to PSM Infoxicated and give him a code.
    Even though he says his laptop is 5 years old, I think somehow, somewhere, he will test this build..... as I said to him, No BR's No BS, FF is like the Wipeout of old as a racer
    - - - Updated - - -

hi BW

we're looking into the KERS depleting shield and sudden death - not able to repeat yet

if you've remapped, one thing you could try is resetting the key mapping to default - my bad with button naming - the buttons to press are the LB and RB / both Bumpers together

we will be looking into the turbo lag thing

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

When I originally started the download of the new build, I ticked the option [Start once downloaded]

I did this and nothing in OPTIONS showed the shoulder buttons that would allow K E R's to work.

After a further shutdown and restart of the gaming PC, when going into options, the shoulder buttons now appear in Options, but, sadly, the trigger mechanism to get KER's operative, still isn't working .... well not working as I suspect was the design.

Got me stumped ???

Timezone
    GMT -8

hi BW

just checking to see if you can activate KERS

we're having quite a discussion on activation - personally I like the 2 button hit but there are some design issues with this for remapping

When I originally started the download of the new build, I ticked the option [Start once downloaded]

I did this and nothing in OPTIONS showed the shoulder buttons that would allow K E R's to work.

After a further shutdown and restart of the gaming PC, when going into options, the shoulder buttons now appear in Options, but, sadly, the trigger mechanism to get KER's operative, still isn't working .... well not working as I suspect was the design.

Got me stumped ???

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I've waited till I've had all three different bars of the HUD full, then tried to use KERS.
    Result was some weird, I was going to say acceleration - but it wasn't, it was more a Warp to a different part of the track, BUT the thing is, activation of dual shoulder triggers used up any weapon I had, pluse any shield I had.

It seemed like I was transported forward down the track, and then shot with my own weapon,....result with shield also depleted, due to this one, dual trigger pressing action, was I went down in a ball of Flames.
    Hence my original post on 'Spontaneous Combustion' syndrome

Timezone
    GMT -8

yes - it's all placeholder stuff at the moment - wip - interesting that it warps you to another part of the track - i haven't been able to repeat that

I've waited till I've had all three different bars of the HUD full, then tried to use KERS.
    Result was some weird, I was going to say acceleration - but it wasn't, it was more a Warp to a different part of the track, BUT the thing is, activation of dual shoulder triggers used up any weapon I had, pluse any shield I had.

It seemed like I was transported forward down the track, and then shot with my own weapon,....result with shield also depleted, due to this one, dual trigger pressing action, was I went down in a ball of Flames.
    Hence my original post on 'Spontaneous Combustion' syndrome

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Maybe it was a combination of the weapon I had in play [that pulse one that surrounds your craft in Blue when triggered], the KERS actually working and whatever effect you have programed to show when that happens, combined with the speed I was traveling at the time, combined with yet again the self destruction effect [the camera POV change when that happens]....with all this happening simultaneously, it seems like a warp effect as my track vision, apart from the extreme sides of the screen, was pretty well none existent for a second or two

I'll try it again later with a different weapon equipped and see what the effect is.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Hi BW

we'll be starting to balance many KERS factors very soon - interested to hear if you can find a way to repeat spontaneous combustion

Maybe it was a combination of the weapon I had in play [that pulse one that surrounds your craft in Blue when triggered], the KERS actually working and whatever effect you have programed to show when that happens, combined with the speed I was traveling at the time, combined with yet again the self destruction effect [the camera POV change when that happens]....with all this happening simultaneously, it seems like a warp effect as my track vision, apart from the extreme sides of the screen, was pretty well none existent for a second or two

I'll try it again later with a different weapon equipped and see what the effect is.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

What's the latest on TPP, Purdisc?

Timezone
    GMT -8

hi HD

I've just mailed an acknowledgement to off to everyone who emailed during the recruitment week. It was a joint error on our part that the person responsible for replying was going to be on holiday for the whole of this week not just for Bank Holiday Monday.

BTW huge apologies for sending list out - my bad - this is completely new to me - I now know to put it in the BCC
    ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid Divide View Post
    What's the latest on TPP, Purdisc?