Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD's Handling

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Exclamation WipEout HD's Handling

This, my friends, will define the game. Forget all that next-gen graphics hoo-hah, the handling engine of this game will make it, or break it.

Now that we (or, some of us) have Pulse in our hot little hands we have an insight as to what HD may contain, in the way of ships, tracks, design features and what-not. All the tracks ive piloted so far have perfect flow, they fly incredibly well, and the new Mag-Strip sections add that extra bit of flair that Pure's tracks missed somewhat. This, matched with Pulse's handling engine, has quite possibly given us the best series of circuits ever featured in the series.

However, im unsure that Pure's tracks would suit this new handling, leaving us (well, SL) with a bit of a dilemma.

Should they have written a new engine from the ground up? Using what they have learnt from each handling engine, a brand new engine would come to light. This would change the feel of the old tracks, as well as the new tracks, which would be very disappointing.

Or would they have been better off simply modifying the existing engine for use with the PS3? There is a risk that the engine might not work perfectly on the older tracks - but we would keep the gorgeous feel of Pulse.

As the elite pilots of the world (well, i like to think we are) what is our collective opinion? What do we want to see? We are the ones that are going to enjoy this game the most, so tell us how you think it should be!

Also, i wish we had Pulse long ago, so i could have created this thread at a time where answers could have changed the game.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

HDs handling is great, feels nice and floaty, the Pure track available at the time felt better than it did in Pure, a better sense of control I felt. HD is gonna rule supreme

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I gotta admit HD is actually an excellent game, even handling too but the handling wise are totally different because, we are using joystick instead of PSP. I wish I can explain to you better.

stevie

Stevie did you get to try out using the 6-axis motion control? Or just analog stick?

I think the 'handling engine' will be exactly like pure and pulse, so there is nothing to worry about

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It was just the standard controls we had access to at the time. But I agree, the Pure tracks we played felt just like they should, no issues at all

PSN ID
    jacenat

Quote Originally Posted by RingoSpoon View Post
    I think the 'handling engine' will be exactly like pure and pulse, so there is nothing to worry about
    pure and pulse handle quite differntly, and i can't imagine what impact pulse's handling would have on my laptimes on the pure tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Charlie : maybe a little faster will be better

Seriously from what we saw on pulse preview / review / final game, handling is changing for a great result on the final one.
    So for what we tested on HD on that 'early' dev version we all got an impressive feeling : this game will be truly fantastic when finished

I can imagine when playing Pulse with PSP Slim on my HDTV what WipeoutHD will look like - Wow I cant wait until next year

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

WipEout will never feel right without bringing back the same feeling you get when playing it with a namco negcon on PSX. The psp's controls are very painfull in comparison.

p.s. imho every wipeout game should have a negcon bundled option avaliable with it so everyone can at least try it and get hooked on it like the drug that it is.
    Last edited by Assimilator; 2nd January 2008 at 09:00 AM.

Default yep

Yes Assimilator as im sure most negon users will agree, theres no better controller for wipeout, but if wipeout developers wont back it then i guess no one will, you have to take good care of your neggie and your ps1 games so they will always be there when you want to have a "proper" fly around the track. I cant imagine how you could get close to the negcon feeling with a sixaxis, maybe thats just my lack of imagination though, as for the psp i personally cant stand to play pure or pulse as it upsets me too much that the controls dont have the immersive qualities of those of a negcon. Im fairly sure there are many here who would love to play wipeout HD with negcon supprt, and even though they may play and enjoy it with sixaxis, the nagging feeling that it could have been so much better will most probably never fade....damn you progress!!
    Last edited by Lance; 2nd January 2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Redundant quote removed. Read the guidelines, please.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I do not think I care too much about using a NegCon for any future Wipeout, by the time HD gets here hopefully Sonys DUALSHOCK 3 will have made it's way to UK shores and since it is known that the motion sensing technology in the pads has gotten better since the first inception of the SIXAXIS then I think it would be ideal to use the tilt feature to control the pitch. I don't think however it should be used to outright steer the ship, barrel rolls would be interesting though.

Sony can't support neGcon because neGcons have not been made for several years. No matter how much I and many other players love the old neGGie, support for it is just extraordinarily unlikely to happen.

I wish that an improved version of the old design would be made, but that seems almost as unlikely as support for past hardware. I suspect that Sony will only support things they make themselves, that they control the reliable supply of.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Not sure about your last point, Lance.
    Logitech is making stuff for the PlayStation as well - with official Sony License.
    But I doubt Namco is still making hardware, isn't that right? So it is highly unlikely we will see a new Negcon made by Namco. And I'm not sure if third-parties like Logitech are interested in a Necgon-lookalike too much.

I think Lance thinks the same way i do about this, this happened too with Gran turismo, as soon as there was a console change and they saw the possibility for a new licensed product, they dropped NeGcon support.

However this action in some years brought to life the driving force pro wheel, which is, for GTs case, miles better than a NeGcon.

I am not that attached to the NeGcon in the way that i wouldnt play a Wipeout game if it doesnt support it (my job already takes care of that not playing part ) but i think its a past era for the rest of the world, not us, and maybe just maybe, someday, they will offer support for a new, better device than a NeGcon.

I have no doubts it might happen, but sixaxis doesnt convince me that way, sensor devices are laggy compared to directly controlled ones, plus there is no zero point feedback/lock which will make it very unstable to use.

but of course i can be wrong.

Such devices as the nintendo wii, are pure fun, in that i concurr, but Wipeout games (and of course others) have taken us into a more complex world where precision is vital.

Until the time a better controller comes up, i will always advocate for the very loved Neggie, and ask for its support, even though i know its a longshot.

you guys can stop crying now.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I think HD should make use of pressure sensitive airbrakes, so we can be more precise with the ships when racing, i just dont like on-off-on.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Or you can think like a seller yourself... it's just a free project out their waiting to produce money... right? Game designers want what the fans want, giving them more respect and dedication from the public... thus directing more of the publics money toward them, so I don't see why this project would just be dropped...

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    But I doubt Namco is still making hardware, isn't that right? So it is highly unlikely we will see a new Negcon made by Namco. And I'm not sure if third-parties like Logitech are interested in a Necgon-lookalike too much.
    the Guncon3 was released by Namco'Bandai a few weeks(couple months?) ago
    Namco could still make a driving controller if they wanted to, they just need a good game and some other company's to back the new peripheral up

-zer0shen

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

I see I have sparked an masive interest in the gencon

do the developers visit this forum????

can we get a petition going for this ???

if you want to know how stronly i feel about this then i'll tell you this, I took my playstation 2 back to the shop becuase wipeout fusion was so bad to control with out the neggie I get realy angry because wipeout was the one reason i bought a ps2.

I have now bought a ps3 in antisipation on wipeout HD and wipeout ps3.

please hear our calls liverpool studios and namco.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

haha, sparked a massive interest?! talk to nearly any forum regular about a neggie and their eyes will light up, suddenly making strange twisting motions in midair, talking very loudly and quickly, before breaking into a cold sweat.

The neGcon was a brilliant controller, no doubt, but frankly i dont see them reviving it. The original controllers were seen by the general public as gimmicky, much like the later jogcon, and to the average consumer, the SIXAXIS controller would appear to be far superior. The only Namco controller that sold well were the lightguns, because you needed them to play games like time crisis and point blank.

Id love to see it, but it wont happen. Its just too 1995.

Timezone
    GMT -6

^^^ I think I'm the only one on the planet who actually liked the Jogcon. *sniff*