I'm also struggling with the 2048 tracks... but it's not just the physics. At least the first few tracks, the trackside setpieces look very similar in a lot of places (all set around the city) so I get pieces of the tracks messed up in my mind. Quite a few times I've turned right because I thought there was a corner, and plough straight into the wall. In zone mode it's marginally better. Partly because you're on the same track for many laps, but taking the first zone run in the campaign as an example... there's a bend where the outside of the corner seems to just continue into the distance, with only a small object in the middle of what appears to be the track to indicate that it's a 90degree left. it looks to me more reminiscent of the hexagon shields from a Zone Battle in Fury, so I've rammed into the invisible wall beside it several times. I've been caught out by various invisible walls many times so far.
Honestly my current feeling on 2048 is that it's kinda cool but the tracks need more visual differentiation and even some kind of indicator of where the edges are would be enormously helpful... something like the red and white kerbs or rumble strips on real racetracks to show where the track actually goes. I'm glad to get to play (what is for me) a "new" wipeout, but the track design is really grinding my gears.