Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD Preview Edition

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Default Wipeout HD Preview Edition

I hereby dedicate this thread to that delightful and superb creation known as the Wipeout HD Preview Edition, which included the pre-epilepsy test Zone mode.

Here is a 60fps 720p movie of Anulpha Pass from the preview version:

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_6619_1_en.html

You must register to be a member of Gamersyde to download it, but it is of course well worth the extra couple minutes it takes to do so. The file is nearly 700 MB and runs over 3 minutes.

Here is a different lower quality but still remarkable video of Zone mode from the preview edition, no registration required:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/wip..._gameplay.html

I ask for this masterpiece and all knowledge related to it. I believe it is one of the most beautiful things ever created and look for it the way a wealthy art collector might look for a Rembrandt.

Although not an art collector, I do work long hours and wish to spend my cherished leisure time in the most fruitful and rewarding way possible. Preview edition Zone mode is one of those ways.

I heard from ProblemSolver once that the preview edition cannot be played on a normal PS3. There is also the obvious fact that it was never for sale in first place and may have only been given to the gaming press on the condition that it not be resold, making it ultra-difficult to find.

I would like to compensate any lawful owner from the studio or gaming press for what the preview edition is worth. Would three grand be within range? Let's talk about it.

I know very little about it, other than that it's beautiful, regardless of how obtainable or unobtainable it is. What do you know about it?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    billychanxtr33m

the colors were so rich in old zone mode, I still cant understand why we didn't get that version as there is practically no difference between the old and new.

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

ehehehehe

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BHK3

I would like to compensate any lawful owner from the studio or gaming press for what the preview edition is worth. Would three grand be within range? Let's talk about it.
    Not sure if serious.

3000$? Really?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I've tried to get my hands on this review code myself...
    I found these:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_coc...78617/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_coc...09724/sizes/l/

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yeah you can't play the reviewer copy on a normal PS3.

Xtriko still cherishes his wedding gift even though he can't play it.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

At Koleax, If the disc is useless in a PS3, is it still worth 3 large?

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Yeah you can't play the reviewer copy on a normal PS3.

Xtriko still cherishes his wedding gift even though he can't play it.
    I would give it for free if that would bring back my ex-fiance...

But for now... there's no money for this "baby". And yes... ITS F4CKING GORGEOUS!!! ahahaha

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Zix-Xer

that version was idd way more awsome then the version we have now....

maby there will come a day that you need to go to the docter and play the game there because there is just to mutch change you will get crazy by all the awsomeness there is in the game.....

but that still looks damm nice

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

That's brought up an interesting question .
    Since Zone mode had to be toned down from it's original version because it didn't pass epilepsy tests.
    How the hell will Wipeout HD 3D Zone mode pass these tests?

I saw HD 3D earlier this week , just normal racing not in Zone mode , but because of my familiarity with the game I can well Imagine that the change of zone colors in 3D will be over the top.

I wonder if it will have to go through separate testing , or , I suppose this will depend on how HD 3D is released , it might just be a patch/game update , if so they might not have to test it again.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    3000$? Really?
    Yes, I would seriously consider that, especially if it included a means to play it. Think of it like an arcade cabinet. Virtua Fighter 2, a game which has had no decent console or emulatable version in the 15 years since its release, goes for about $2,500 used. A brand new in box version of Star Wars Episode 1: Pinball, my favorite pinball game of all time, goes for about $6,000. Three grand starts to look like it might even be a bargain.

Now, what sort of system do you need to play it, then? Is it a special sort that only those in the gaming press have and why is it special? Security reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by multibodydynamics View Post
    I've tried to get my hands on this review code myself...
    I found these:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_coc...78617/sizes/l/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_coc...09724/sizes/l/
    What are those?
    Last edited by Koleax; 22nd April 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

I have some additional videos of the pZONE mode. One vid last till zone 60
    on AP. It was my idea to make a section within the ZONE thread about the
    preview version a few month ago, since I also have some more pics and stuff,
    but wanted to wait till I got access to the preview version myself to show off
    supersonic.

We have a local magazine here in Germany which has the preview version
    and a PS3 that can run unsigned code. Shouldn't be to big of a problem to
    make a zone 100 vid, whatever. But it would be even better to do it all on
    your own.

Well, the preview version of WipEout HD isn't (cryptographically) signed
    by Sony. Unsigned code can only be run on a so-called TEST and / or TOOL
    PS3. A TEST can run unsigned- and retail code from HDD & BD. But you can't
    play BDs or DVDs movies or install any retail firmware. Technically, the TEST
    is very similar to a PS3 whereas the TOOL isn't. The TOOL is more advanced,
    for example, it has 512MB of main memory. The TOOL is for developers and
    the TEST is just for testing.

These special PS3s can officially only be bought from Sony, but there are
    some TEST PS3s in the wild. If your are willing to spend about 600 - 700 EUR
    chances are you will get one.

Anyway, after Sony has killed the OtherOS they have reignited a special
    interest of mine which I followed years ago. The only thing I can tell is that
    I'm not going to stop until the system is broken....

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Is that a can of whoop-ass I can hear being opened?

Go get em tiger!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Something along these lines, yes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    afatsuoM

Sounds like a problem to be solved.

I really like pZone. It really shows what's possible. Maybe this is crazy, but wouldn't it be cool if we could adjust the colors for Zone mode ourselves? Customizable Zone FTW!

@PS: Could you place some of those vids somewhere we can see them? I'm really interested in those.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Thank you for the info, PS. I'd be interested in those videos as well.

It's not just the colors that are different about pZone. The whole lighting schema is different, creating a better sense of 3D space. There's no "hue fog" or whatever you call it that gives distant parts of the track a different color from the vicinity immediately around the ship. Zone is beautiful but pZone really gives you a sense of environmental stability, such that it's all the more dramatic and beautiful when a zone transition wave passes over you and changes everything.

Much more is different. More contrasts and better fidelity in shadows. Greater variety of colors, including colored light sources that illuminate the track, which I don't remember seeing anywhere in final zone. Really, if you don't have light sources illuminating 3D objects, creating shadows and varying color intensities, how can you establish a sense of 3D space? Final zone seems to rely entirely on distance and fog and, surprisingly, not at all on light.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Koleax

Thread resurrection! Considering it's in the interest of preserving lost art, I felt it was okay.

What is the status of our knowledge about this coveted work? I don't think it's worth three large anymore, but I'm still interested.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I've had a review code in my Wipeout-collection for some time now. I also have a PS3 that I can play it on. This resulted in the fact that the review code is simply Wipeout HD v1.00 and not the preZone edition that we are looking for. I've made a few efforts to try and find it, no results so far though.
    Last edited by multibodydynamics; 29th April 2013 at 10:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

Updating this thread because I'm hooked on the idea to try and hunt down this beauty!
    A debug PS3 is required to play it. Check! Got that. That is also the reason why I've been able to play the press kit disc. Let me explain one thing that seems to be a general misunderstanding. The press kit (aka review code, aka press materials, aka evaluation materials, aka the metallic box) does NOT contain the pre-release with the original awesome Zone mode! The press kit is actually just Wipeout HD v1.00 exactly as it was when it got released back in 25th of August (or september?) 2008. The press kit got ditributed to game studios before the release date so to avoid confusion a good name for what I am actually looking for would be a "preview build". Any video or picture that we have seen on the original zone mode, before the epilepsy test failure, comes from this preview build.
    I'm fairly certain that this preview build was never given out on a designed and printed media to game studios (e.g. a DVD-disc like the press kit). It was probably distributed in very limited numbers, perhaps only SL themselves had access to it! So in what form does this preview build exist? The answer is simply in the exact same form as the press kit does. The press kit disc contains 2 pkg-files (called package-files). No more, no less. This disc can be read in a usual PC. A retail PS3 won't do anything with these pkg-files but a debug PS3 installs and plays it without any hassle. I'm hoping that several game studios have this early preview build, as pkg-files, in their media archives. Has anyone seen or heard anything about this preview build? Does anyone know someone who might have access to it, anyone? My debug PS3 is collecting dust...
    Last edited by multibodydynamics; 29th April 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Given the rarity of the preview edition and it not being a salable product, maybe it's worth asking Hellfire's opinion on whether it would be OK to copy the disc so others could burn and play it? Pretty sure the debug consoles don't have the copy protection features enabled in regular consoles.

I think Xtriko had a copy? Not sure how often he visits the 'Zone these days, though.

This would just be a lost gem for those who could play it if it isn't shared... and I really doubt anyone interested wouldn't already own the release version of HD.