Thread: A little tip for the inexperienced racers

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default A little tip for the inexperienced racers

I had a search and it doesnt look like anyone has posted this before. If there are mines or a bomb in your racing line and theres no hope of you getting out of its way, you can shoot them with the gun power up or any projectile and they will explode clearing your way . Its something a lot of newer racers may not have thought about, but its something which has got me out of a tight spot loads of times so I thought id share.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Avoid bombs and mines? What do you think man invented Triakis for?

Also turn off auto pilot lol

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

Quake also gets rid of them by blowing them up, and in many cases you can sideshift away.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

you're right mate, if you have something to fire you can destroy these f****n' mines or bombs, but wow you need awesome reflexes to do that. Please don't say your inexperienced lol, you're already really fast!

Was just playing when i thought of another tip same as the main topic strater but the other way around, if you here a missel or rockets being fired at you drop your mines when they get close and they won't hit you

PSN ID
    CaptainWipeout

If I'm in front I'll use a quake anyway to clear the track of bombs and mines instead of absorbing.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Kanar, I meant its a tip for inexperienced racers, not that I am one ! Good one Firedshot, never tried it the other way round so ill be bearing that in mind in future! Anyone else got any words of wisdom or tips and tricks they want to share?
    Last edited by YouAreFubar; 1st February 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Smiley addition

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

If your heading down the home straight close to the finish line,and you have a craft in front of you and you have a turbo but you know the turbo won't be enough to overtake the craft in front,just line them up and then hit the turbo so you go full on into the back of the other craft.
    Watch as they go flying cockpit first or upside down into a side wall just before the line,and you have gone up one position.
    I did that to Kanar on Friday [Sorry Kanar] and I couldn't stop laughing,it LOOKED incredible as well,you could almost see the face of the virtual pilot through the cockpit going WTF!

PSN ID
    Greenix

Hmm, my GTs (greenix tips ) for inexperienced pilots are as follows:

1.) If you get an autopilot on Chenghou project, never absorb it, use it up at the first left hander after the start line - you'll be stunned by the bizzarre turn your ship does...

2.) Don't ram. It gets you a bad name in the racing etiquette thread and also ruins your line and gives you ship damage, its just not worth it. (Although there are some dedicated rammers who would disagree)

3.) Learn to side shift. It works wonders when in the last part of your turn. Not only does it allow your thrust to kick in earlier, but stops you from hitting walls, allows you to dodge mines and generally cut off a few tenths of a second every time you use wisely. Just be careful, they have a small time limit in between use before you can side shift again (2 seconds or so?)

4.) Dont be put off Phantom because of its high speed. Keep at it! You'll soon realise how slow it actually is!

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I use very often these 2 techniques. Fire stuff to destroy mines and bombs, and drop mines and bombs to avoid locked missiles or anything "fireable".

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWipeout View Post
    If I'm in front I'll use a quake anyway to clear the track of bombs and mines instead of absorbing.
    Ooh...great idea!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Depends how far in front you are,it can still go horribly wrong with online latency.
    Try living in Australia with a EU or US host,hell racing against them,sometimes it's like having one hand tied behind your back the latency issues get that bad.

The usual weapons pads non functioning things what stuffs it up for us the most regarding the Aussie/NZ guys.

I t doesn't make us that competitive, as a whole ,due to this.
    A lot of racers from this area have given up playing online.

That's why I suspect you don't see a larger AUS/NZ racing fraternity..

PSN ID
    FatScarf

I'd like to post a tip for those who are finding it hard getting to grips with the speed of Phantom, this is something I did too. Play lots of Zone ;D Go for the gold trophy if you want... It makes Phantom feel reeeeeaaally slow.