Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are highscores reliable ?

PSN ID
    superpj1

Default Are highscores reliable ?

Hi all !

I'm wondering if highscores are reliable ...

In Speed Lap mode, there is someone who owns the world record of almost all races in Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom (!) which is truly unbelievable. But the same guy barely appears on any other rankings (multiplayer, etc.). How is it possible ? Unless the guy spends days and nights playing SOLELY Speeds Lap and no other mode, which I can't believe.

Are there known issues of fake highscores in Wipeout HD ?
    Last edited by superpj1; 26th December 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

No known issues, but most of the guys who own the top scores frequent this board, and yes, they are very fast and practice SL and TT often.

PSN ID
    superpj1

Frankly I doubt that only one man can own nearly all the Sleep Lap records of Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom. He must be exploiting some glitches and that would explain why his results are so low on the other race modes (it's easier when you have 99 laps to try). Some results are insane take for example the world record in Vineta K reverse / Venom >>> 0:26:14 seconds, ie 2 SECONDS faster than the second best time in the world (0:28:26). Venom being the slowest, top scores should be close but they're not !

I think the ghost race should be sent to Studio Liverpool everytime a world record is broken to check whether it's real or not
    Last edited by superpj1; 27th December 2008 at 12:28 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Must be talking about FJ's times.

I think all his lap times are legit, he's pretty nuts.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I disagree about almost everything, first if someone is really good at the game,
    he's probably really good in all classes and all tracks, so it would be logical
    to have the best player(s) on top of everything.

Also you say the gaps should be wider on phantom than venom, I disagree, because
    venom is much slower, a Barrel Roll would have that much more impact, hence
    increasing the gaps.

PSN ID
    pirhapac

Quote Originally Posted by djKyoto View Post
    Must be talking about FJ's times.

I think all his lap times are legit, he's pretty nuts.
    ALL his lap times are legit: i beat him on chengou ..wellinton beat him on reverse..im just near lot of his record ..end..

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Who is FJ?
    I must of missed something,but I can't see what it was.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Flashback Jack

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

flashback is one of the best wiper in the world. try the search button, he was member here.

PSN ID
    chboing

Quote Originally Posted by superpj1 View Post
    Frankly I doubt that only one man can own nearly all the Sleep Lap records of Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom. He must be exploiting some glitches and that would explain why his results are so low on the other race modes (it's easier when you have 99 laps to try). Some results are insane take for example the world record in Vineta K reverse / Venom >>> 0:26:14 seconds, ie 2 SECONDS faster than the second best time in the world (0:28:26). Venom being the slowest, top scores should be close but they're not !

I think the ghost race should be sent to Studio Liverpool everytime a world record is broken to check whether it's real or not
    +, he usually does not have a ps3 connection to internet, so he just doesnt play multiplayer often, that's all.
    He's just very very good, and plays much more than anybody here i think

PSN ID
    superpj1

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    flashback is one of the best wiper in the world. try the search button, he was member here.
    lol I even see he was banned everybody seems to agree that his lap times are not fake, so I'm impressed. Is he so good on multiplayer (when he's connected) ?

PSN ID
    Wellington86

It's just worth adding that the reason he is often seconds ahead on the lower speed classes is that no-one really contests them. It's only on Phantom where proper competition takes place, and as pirhapac has said, he is very close to FbJ on almost every track.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

That was one of my points regarding FBJ the BR king [his rather abrupt views on that topic what got him barred] vis AH QUADZILLA's times.
    How could the times differ by so much if there are only 1 place to BR on a course?
    And FBJ was 4 sec behind?
    Doesn't work out.

If anybody could explain it to me I'm all ears.

Seems SL thought it was strange as well and decided to take action.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

quadzilla was maybe deleted for inactivity -weird- flash success is only due to excessive practicing LOL
    Last edited by kanar; 27th December 2008 at 04:03 PM.

PSN ID
    superpj1

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington86 View Post
    It's just worth adding that the reason he is often seconds ahead on the lower speed classes is that no-one really contests them. It's only on Phantom where proper competition takes place, and as pirhapac has said, he is very close to FbJ on almost every track.
    I think people should contest the lower classes. It's not fun to see the same guy dominate almost every SL track. He looks invincible.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by superpj1 View Post
    lol I even see [Flashback Jack] was banned everybody seems to agree that his lap times are not fake, so I'm impressed. Is he so good on multiplayer (when he's connected) ?
    Rapier Racer, also a long-time member here, said otherwise.

[rant]
    It is a shame that -F is no longer a member here. I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion given the way he, well, the circumstances of why he was banned - but I think it's bad for the community when the top pilots in the world are dis-jointed like this, but, I don't set the rules here, I sure as s*** don't enforce them, and I can't make him and the people running this site come to accept what appears to be irreconcilable differences.
    [/rant]

As for his top times...I give up. Something's in the maple syrup in Toronto that gives him amazing reflexes.

PSN ID
    superpj1

I hope he doesn't use drugs !

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think people are slowly putting in the laps on the different tracks in the slower classes,I agree that apart from the records for the Zico trophy a lot of tracks have very few times recorded for them.
    I went through the game and posted a SL and TT times for each track/class,mainly in case SL bring out a player ranking system based on all times achieved over all tracks/classes.
    Still to do any Zone times for the reverse tracks,not really a zone fan like Wellington and Problemsolver with 50+ zones recorded for every track,the mind boggles.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

blackwiggle I was thinking about this "added" time for all TT and SL... But it would require that people would have times on all tracks, which brings me to the question I had this morning.

I was doing some SL sessions on Reverse track because I barely know them and it is a major problem for me online if I want to really compete. On all of them [Flash speed] (except Sol2 that I didn't race), I managed to rank in the top 150-200 minimum, if not in the top 70. No way I am that "good", especially since my laps were nothing special (boost in, boost out, at best) which of course brings me to the conclusion that very few people are actually SLing or TTing those tracks (which makes sens: they are not in the campaign)

I think the leaderboards are "reliable" as far as glitching, bugs and "cheating" goes (a few things here and there), however the "perspective" changes from track to track, as the opposition can vary greatly. Anulpha Pass [Forward & Venom] has a very dense leaderboard because of the Beat Zico. What if all tracks had this kind of incentives? Would I rank as high?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Probably not,but if you don't play them you don't have a ranking,and the more you play them the faster you will get at them,and of course your ranking will rise.
    If SL does implement a ranking system based on all speed all tracks, you'll be way in front of the vast majority of other racers that haven't bothered.

Put it this way,it sure can't hurt playing in the slower speeds,you REALLY learn where all the bumps,dips and rises on every track are.
    You also learn how close you can get to corners without hitting the side walls [major part of shaving seconds off your lap times] and how and where to side shift rather than dabbing on the air brakes.
    Get that right one the slower speeds and watch your name zoom up the rankings to the top 40-50,consistency over 3 laps is easier than over 5.
    All these things differ at different speeds, so it teaches you how to anticipate things in a manner that you wouldn't if you just raced solely in Rapier or Phantom.