Thread: WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

No, think 3.11. I think 3.71 is safe, at least I've had no problems.
    The symptoms found are random freezes every now and then, something to do with the download packs.
    Here's the old discussion.
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3774

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Post Pure >> Pulse

Definitely.

I've been trying to get good at Pulse, and I've managed to get solid gold up to Phantom (wow, did that take more practice than I expected!), but I just can't find the motivation to really tackle it.

Pulse has lots of great features. The sheer number of tracks is literally overwhelming, the number of race modes is refreshing, the way you can fly any craft you choose and still manage record times (or as close to as you'll manage with any other ship!), so many excellent concepts are embedded in this game.

But I still can't get into it. The download packs definitely helped, flying Icaras is always an experience well worth the time, but the game itself is simply not gripping. It doesn't have the handling, the feeling of really piloting an AG racecraft that I'm looking for.

Pure OTOH?

While playing some multiplayer over the weekend we switched from Pulse to Pure because we agreed it was more fun. Getting back at it I was earning record times all over the place. Entering those times in today I thought to myself "I should probably take a good ship into SR and take a couple minutes to really try for some records. That way when I get a multiplayer record I'll know it's actually worth something and not just telling of how long it's been since I last played this track at this speed". An hour later, Alpha at Vector was done and I wanted to play more but I had to go.

Pure, I keep wanting to go back to. Pulse... not so much.

I think Pure might be my 3rd (maybe even 2nd!) favourite WO, but I know for certain that Pulse is my 2nd least favourite. It's definitely better than Fusion, but I can't rank it above anything else.

Really good points, I have to go along with that completely, even to the way you rank the PSP wipeouts. Pure would be my second favourite out of all Wipeout games for sure. Pulse is a worthy member of the Wipeout family, but it`s too twitchy, bangy and generally unsmooth to be much fun.

The ship balance in Pulse is a wonderful thing. The number of tracks is very generous (though for me it`s actually too many too soon - I don`t have time to really learn them all).

But nothing in Pulse can equal the sweet sensation of a storming Phantom lap of Koltiwa, Staten Park, Burgertown or even Exostra Run. I won`t try to work out why, it could run to pages.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

What's a "Burger Town"? Does it have anything to do with these "Omega Packs" I've heard so much about?

Back on topic, I find it shocking that after playing just Pulse for about five months, a switch back to playing Pure isn't really that hard. I didn't have to re-learn much, I just had to know the ships don't have hair-trigger steering in Pure as they do in Pulse.

the ships are balanced time wise for time trial, that is for sure. I would like to see them balanced for ARcade race/mulitiplayer instead. The ships need to be balanced for one or the other I am starting to learn. Noone will take a piranha into a multiplayer tourney, and even have a prayer against 3 high acceleration ships (with equal pilots). It's race over within about 10 seconds, after you hit the entire slew of mines,bombs. Even though in Time trial the ships come out to about the same time (phantom) over a 5 lap race, why in the hell would you ever choose an Piranha or Triakis, when they are much harder to pilot to get those times. There has to be a reason to pilot the faster ships, meaning they actually need to be faster, and have a chance to win after the first 10 seconds. Because even if the faster ships somehow catches up by lap 4 (both ships racing perfectly with no weapon hits), they had to race considerably better to get there due to the loose handling, and they still have a much higher chance to hit the wall after that. Even using an Triakis in pure against 4 other competitors has a disadvantage, and that ship is probably 3-4 seconds faster over the course of a medium turn kind of course. The Triakis is closer to what it should be in pulse, but still not there. So, I really don't care about time trial being equal, I'll just get records with all of the ships, but for single race, there should be a reason to choose all of the ships. I wrote a chart up of what I think would work and make the ships win the same amount of times with weapons on , but am not going to post it now because I have some other stuff to do.

So, in closing, balance the mulitplayer/arcade race, not the time trial. Make every ship a viable option, and have advantages. It's the pilots driving that will make the advantages work, or not work

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Jacques Villeneuve made a racing game with cars that were all the same, only the driving mattered. It was pretty good.

It was released for all platforms I think (I have it on PC, just don't know where I put it). So if you have a PS2 and want to try it out, it's available on it too.
    Obviously it is very different than Wipeout, but if you like balanced games, well that's one of them.

/Offtopic