Thread: Nintendo Switch: Thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

I think the switch will definitely be more successful than the Wii U. I know a lot of people that are getting a Switch that would never touch Wii U. People want something different to their usual Xbox, PlayStation or PC. The console provides a lot of flexibility, and the joy-cons mean it comes standard with 2 controllers for couch multiplayer.

There are some interesting exclusives coming to the console, such as Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Fast RMX and Splatoon 2. I'm sure that there will be heaps more as time goes on as well; it's not unusual for there to be not many games for a brand new console.

Specs aren't amazing, but that's not what Nintendo is about. Their goal is to provide fun.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Conzio's wisdom strikes again lol! But you are absolutely right on when you say that Nintendo isn't about the specs. In fact, that was part of their problem. They kept trying to compete with the likes of Sony and Microsoft. There are a lot of people that would prefer to have the latest and greatest graphics, while not realizing the game they are playing is absolute garbage as an actual game. Nintendo knows that, but it wasn't until recently they realized that there was a distinction to be made. Casual gamers like graphics and will turn their nose up at anything that isn't visually striking. Hardcore gamers will over look bad or lesser graphics if the gameplay is good. I certainly do. Otherwise I would have abandoned my PS2 years ago.

I can think of a ton of gorgeous games that otherwise sucked. On the other hand, there aren't many Nintendo games that were flops. Now that they have realized who their audience should be, I think the Switch will prove to be successful. 3rd party involvement will ultimately determine the success of the console. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like 1st party games from Nintendo. But I can only play so much Mario/DK/Splatoon/Zelda without being completely burnt out. But with Skyrim coming to the Switch, it is a good indication that there may yet be hope for a good 3rd party line up. I mean, who wouldn't love to have a mobile version of say, Fallout?

Additionally, as Conzio has pointed out, the Switch is the clear winner in terms of flexibility. Where else can you get two controllers, a console, AND a portable console for $300? Nintendo was a little late to the internet party, but it would appear that they have learned from that mistake. I must admit, the ability to play console games on a handheld, that will cross-save automatically is incredibly attractive to any gamer that is on the move. The Vita tried to do that with the cross play, but I could never get any games to play without sufficient lag. That and you had to have the PS4 running while you streamed, AND you needed a fast internet connection wherever the Vita was. All you need for Nintendo is the gamepad.

One other point that no one is really talking about is that the games are going to be cartridges. While some might view this as odd, or even cheap, I think it is brilliant. I've scratched blu ray games. I've broken them. I've never ever broke a 3DS cartridge. In terms of storage, cartridges have the potential to far exceed modern blu ray discs.