Thread: New Game Mode Idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

I also liked the idea of someone, I don't remember who, who had the idea for "Green Races" with only the self-use (green) pickups. I really like this idea, it would be a nice twist on regular weapons on racing. Also, you could have races using only the defensive or offensive weapons as well, which I think would really fit the game and give it some depth that WipEout never had, because you would have to use very different skill sets to win in each of these disciplines. It wouldn't have to be used all the time, but the option would be nice, as SSGX seems to be a very tactical, intelligent, and skill-oriented game, it would give players a unique and intuitive chance to create new skill sets and hone them in these new racing disciplines.

Also as a sidenote, maybe you could have a weapon selector for custom races (keep that option locked in career obviously), but allow you to race with any combination of weapons that you wanted. I know it may sound strange, but imagine just how hard it would be to win a race where you could only use tractortraps. It would be so difficult, but yet so fun, because not everyone would have to do it, only those who wanted to in custom race mode (unless it was in the campaign). I think one area where you guys could really beat WipEout is in the availability of as many options as possible in custom races, i.e. number of ships, weapon selector, maybe even have a custom lap selector if you choose a custom race. I'm not saying eliminate the names "Single Race" and "Endurance", but I'm saying to keep those modes and just add in a "Custom Race" selection with all of these options. I really hope you guys consider this, as it would make it for me and for many a game that we would never stop playing, as there would always be some option that we hadn't tried, and it would keep the game very interesting and even more fun! (if that's possible )

Thanks for reading, and I really hope you consider the Custom Race with all of the options idea, as it would be an utterly fantastic addition to the game.

Cheers,

DDD113

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

hmm, green races only sounds too powerful, instead, 1 turbo each lap is recieved and weapon pads will recharge your ship, so you still have to make the choice between speed pad or weapon pad, if it's green only, everyone would go for weaps and ope for a turbo, would be kinda meeh i think

an the custom race is a good idea, but i would make it separate from single race/ tournament/... as in an actual separate game mode

As something else, i've been missing in wipeout, wishing it was there, is to select a portion of the track you want to practice (select range from point A to point B) allowing you to practice a difficult part or just to perfect it, wanted this for my speed laps on TJR, but had to do full laps all the time in order to do so, also wanted to use it to see which method was faster for that piece of the track ;-)

When arriving in point B you'd just respawn in point A

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Yeah, the custom race would be separate from the other modes, but I think the Green Races would still be interesting, because the Teleporter gives you a distance boost, and the Atom reduces friction, essentially giving you a boost, and the Phantomizer would be kinda pointless, but that's why I suggested at the end of my post just to let people select what weapons and how many ships from the list, it can be any combination they want, just goes for a good challenge, wouldn't have to be in Campaign, but it would be fun to experiment with, like I said, it gives you something new to explore, and that's a good thing. A race with only cannons would be loud and slow, while a race with only impulse blasts would be wacky and crazy. I'm not saying they all have to be equally balanced or tame, I would just like to have the option, because if I ever got bored with Single Race, an impulse only race would sure be a way to add interest!

The only thing I don't like about the track segment selector is that it almost makes learning the hard parts too easy. That's the challenging and frustrating part of WipEout, waiting a lap to correct a single corner or two, but that's why only the elite persevere, and it makes them better pilots along the way. If you had a segment selector, some people who don't really want to put too much time into the game can figure out a track segment by segment somewhat quickly, against the tradition of patience, trial and error. Just my 2 cents.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

mind you, i did 2000+ speed laps on TJR testing and fiddling with the corners….. would've really loved that option LOL
    maybe give it a minimum length then or something, but, if the devs agree with ya, then fine

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Exactly my point, you should have to do that many laps to perfect it, it's just a part of the sport. Anyway, hopefully the devs will evaluate both ideas so we can see what they think.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Even we don't directly reply, we are reading and thinking about all the ideas that come up. But sometimes we don't wanna interrupt the wonderful & creative discussion

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    DDD113

Alrighty then, happy reading to all!

How about special goals for a certain event, such as try to win without using any boost pads, or without using any weapons?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Those things come with special key events during the campaign

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    pp-123

New game mode: Obstacle Run!

If a track like Temtesh Bay (the caves section) is included in this game, then this game mode could be applied there. Basically, it is a point to point time trial (randomized every race), with a twist. There would be several AI ships trying to activate obstacles to screw you over, and you have to dodge obstacles that can destroy your ship or severely damage it. AI ships can also come in the form of attackers, where the ships are like the Power Swarm drones (from EG-r's superweapon) with small cannons on them. You can ram to destroy these ships attacking your ship, and you can regain some shield energy by destroying these ships. You cannot regain shield energy any other way. Once your ship crosses the line, you will now be on the side of the attackers (activating obstacles by flying to switches to activate obstacles) while an AI ship (your rival) attempts to complete the same course. The ship that either went the farthest or the ship that finished in the quicker time wins.

Sorry for the bad explanation, couldn't explain it better.

P.S: I'M BACK.