Thread: (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

It's from the intro.
    If you're going for something similar to WOHD (or lower), I could imagine that the model is possible. Maybe with less details. It's the shape and the thrusters that give it the character

Not bad at all- the ship has a good colour scheme (the texture has no warping or stretching I can see) and the shape is getting there (the intake is really good).

Crits:

Nasty LCD font (the number eight)- get rid of it and research The Designers Republic and how they did things.

The pipe work I imagine could be done more efficently via a .tga texture with an alpha channel (to save polys in game).

Try to make the ship less 'boxy' (i.e. it looks like most angles are divisible by 45 degrees)- loosen it up!

Wireframes! (So we can see the meshflow and poly distribution)

Keep going!!!
    Last edited by Rotational_aspect; 7th August 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typed in number 8 and got an emoticon by mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Rotational_aspect View Post
    Not bad at all- the ship has a good colour scheme (the texture has no warping or stretching I can see) and the shape is getting there (the intake is really good).

Crits:

Nasty LCD font (the number eight)- get rid of it and research The Designers Republic and how they did things.

The pipe work I imagine could be done more efficently via a .tga texture with an alpha channel (to save polys in game).

Try to make the ship less 'boxy' (i.e. it looks like most angles are divisible by 45 degrees)- loosen it up!

Wireframes! (So we can see the meshflow and poly distribution)

Keep going!!!
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I put the LCD "8" because I couldn't find how they did it... I think it's very similar, but without those white cuts...
    About the pipes: This ship hasn't got half the polys of the average on Wipeout HD... But I guess I could make tubing coming out of the fuselage that way.
    I have to add some more polys on the joints so it seems smoother...

I'll post wireframe tomorrow. I made this ship from a series of extrusions... I started it from a single box...

If you want to pig out on crazy fonts try here:

http://www.searchfreefonts.com/categories/

Might be useful when all those neon signs need doing.....

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I don't want to put down your enthusiasm Xpand, and honestly that Feisar recreation looks really good, but if you are aiming for a PurE quality models you're gonna have a hard time pumping details in the models if you use basic shapes like PS1 game models (Triangles all the way.) I fear the detail you will add to the ship will feel tacked on and not natural looking at all. Of course, there is the possibility that you can pull it off but consider that it's gonna be extra challenging if you choose to go through with it.

Instead of going for details, perhaps you should try to develop the ships silhouette a bit more and break up the primary shape you have based your ship on.

Here is an example of using a volume to its potential- the poly count is low but you get a well defined shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

Looks awesome, xpand!! I really like where the design is headed.