Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Wipeout Fusion hated

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

maxed out eg-r was too sick!!! so was two player split screen firing backwards madness loved that.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yes, which was my argument from the get go. *High Five to ya Johnny* ^_^

The original comparison was that Fusion was more balanced. Which it clearly is not. In fact, Piranaha is with no upgrades is still probably more OP than a maxed out FEISAR or Uber. But because there wasn't really multiplayer (aside from local) it wasn't an issue for me. Why not use the best ship if you have it, right?

Because, for starters, the aesthetic was changed into more rusty AG-Craft. Second, Qirex and other teams had really horrible owners who only really cared about money. Third, a massive scandal happened that caused mass riots and an economic crisis that lasted for about a century. Any reason why everyone really liked all the other games more?

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quote Originally Posted by polybius81 View Post
    Second, Qirex and other teams had really horrible owners who only really cared about money.
    Umm... Qirex were pretty much founded on the principle of being money-grabbing bastards

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

Simple answer:
    It's not. Fusion is not hated.

PSN ID
    Princess_Lunah

I can't hate any wipeout, only thing i didn't like about fusion was the trailer/intro lol
    Fusion was very fast paced indeed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

*Implying Qirex took part in the F9000*

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Qirex was dissolved into Tigron, so it was basically Qirex taking part under a different name... right?

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Pretty much. Tigron were even more extreme than Qirex ever were, but that's not to say that Qirex weren't greedy sods in their early days

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Tigron wasn't Qirex.
    They bought up their stuff though, but the team had little in common, beside being money obsessed and had a special relation to the Leagues Commision.
    Tigron was the economic arm of a Russian crime syndicate that took over the country and brought it back into Sowjet times.

It's like saying that BrawnGP was actually Honda, or that Mercedes is BrawnGP. Or that Red Bull Racing is still Jaguar.

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

I'm just gonna put my opinion across here because this is really quite interesting. I popped it into my PS2 just now, and it's been a while since I last played Fusion so I'm going in with a fresh mind.

The first thing I'm noticing is the significantly wider tracks, which are quite interesting.
    It allows for some strange racing lines compared to the norm, mostly hovering right along the centre line on straights to avoid adding unnecessary time to traversing over the other side of the track to take a corner.
    But considering the apparently slippery physics (read "next to no traction in comparison to literally any of the other games"), it's good to have a lot of room.

The next thing I notice is the number of ships. A solid 16 pilots on track at any one time, the most since 2097/XL and 64 introduced the Piranha prototypes.
    No wonder they need the extra room on the tracks - XL had heavily scripted groups of ships as you progressed up the field, but with this more fluid system it's easy to get a pile up of up to 5 ships regularly to block parts of the track.

Here's the part where it starts to get dicey for me. With each activity you take part in, you and the rest of the grid gain a new weapon to blast each other to pieces with.
    Great, that's good, I was looking for more destructive power to force my way through the pack.
    Except I played through some Van-Uber Super Weapon Challenges before beginning the AG League mode.

Which means I have no credits and about 3 or 4 Quakes flying down the track at me per lap. And I'm trying to fly a Van-Uber with the duff shields, with a high chance I won't be surviving a single lap.
    So I'm forced to try a different team. Van-Uber, it seems, is quicker off the start line but with the unfortunate drawback of being made of 'effing glass. Let's try G-Tech, maybe that'll help.
    ---3 laps later---
    I just came in first place with Naomi Turner of G-Tech. Of 16 ships, only 7 made it to the end. Namely Tigron, Xios, EG-R, the other G-Tech, Auricom and Feisar.
    My concerns were made clear, in that as soon as Quake unlocks, unless you have some cash behind you, your hopes of flying Van-Uber are dashed quite spectacularly because the game will mercilessly punish you.
    Aside from that, think I'll be trying out G-Tech for the rest of the league (using a Feisar at this point is too blasé and perhap inadequate in the speed area).
    Plus they aren't as bad for handling as I expected, and the game seems to be rewarding the high speed, firepower and shield ratings anyway.

That seems to be the big issue many are bringing up here - the teams are completely unbalanced.
    Even when comparing the ships within their own performance tiers (Beginner - Feisar, Van-Uber, G-Tech / Advanced - Auricom, EG-R, Tigron / S-Tier - Xios, Piranha), there are clear winners and losers, what with Piranha being just that little bit more perfect than Xios.
    Uber could've done well in any other league, heck they even did well in FX300 Pure before giving up for reasons unknown.

Maybe it's the huge emphasis on hard hitting weapons and half-decent shielding that's the issue, I don't know.
    Maybe it's even the departure from familiarity, attempting to bring too many new names while ditching some of the old favourites (team allegiances, yo).
    And then the wrong type of homage to 2097/XL by having every other team falter to "INTRODUCING!! Another illustrious god-mode ship, coming at you from the one-and-only Piranha!".

To summarise:
    It's got it's good parts, I'll give it that. The scenery is gorgeous, the tracks are memorable and I love the unpredictability of the open-ground sections of the track (though ice physics on anti-gravity makes zero sense...)

It just too easily descends into chaos.
    With that many ships on track and so many weapons, eventually it simply comes down to who has the bigger guns and the stronger shields to survive the next lap.

I use Xios, Tigron and Van-Uber.

The VU isn't too bad when you upgrade it, though.

THE CREDTS SYSTEM ROCKS!

Once, I was racing as Khumala, since I'd unlocked the super weapon. It was so fun! but only 9 ships finished.
    Fusion is a game that wasn't brilliant, but deserves to be remebred better.
    For the record, I loved Alca Vexus's Turbo jump and Mandrashee's underwater sections

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

To be honest, I didn't at the time, nor over later years, have given FUSION the attention it probably deserves.
    Why?
    Because of the horrible loading times with the PS2....if that could be sorted in emulation on a PS4 to load quicker....well, I might have actually have finish this game...much as I suspect other long term tragic Wipeout players at this forum would have done the same.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I don't think Fusion is a bad game. It's not. I daresay, it's better than 90% of the other futuristic racers out there.

All that said, the reason it's the black sheep of the series, at least for me, is that it doesn't feel like WipEout.

The total change if physics, and the over-emphasis on weapons made Fusion feel like something different.

The backstory helps to bring this into the WipEout universe (and I love anything that adds to WipEout lore).

But it just felt... like the WipEout elements were brought into a different game that was already in development.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Oryx_Crake & Frumpman

a bit of necromancy here from me, but my issues with fusion were design and handling. I didn't like that the ships stuck to the track the way they did, that always felt off to me, and I didn't like how little running into walls mattered, it almost felt like you didn't really care about doing perfect laps on some tracks because... why bother...

I still had fun with it though. my biggest gripe really was the ship design. there were some decent designs in there but none of the ships ever stod out to me as anything special, and I also didn't really like how very very different they all looked to each other, some looked like fighter planes others looked like racers and in one notable case a ufo. I wouldn't call the designs bad exactly though actually... just ill fitting for a racing game that is so very much about style.

I generally dont like combat in racers as such, but it never really bothered me in fusion, I could have fun racing mostly green there too, the emphasis on superweapons and such once you get a ways through the campaign did start to bother me a little though... quadruple quakes in quick succession was not terribly uncommon after all.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by terra-wrists View Post
    maxed out eg-r was too sick!!! so was two player split screen firing backwards madness loved that.
    That gives me an intriguing concept:
    Imagine if there was a cooperative game mode, where one player was the pilot and the other was the gunner, and at any time they could switch positions by both pressing the rear view. That would be interesting.

On the subject of whether or not Fusion should be hated... I've never actually played it, but I've seen videos of it.

In my opinion, the physis are enough to make me a little queasy; granted, i was watching it in 30 FPS and wasn't actually playing it (which from what I'm told, playing a game is a lot less nausea-inducing than watching a video to it)... but I don't feel like I want to give it a shot since the lack of balance reminds me too much of Gameloft's Asphalt series... Though I think the reason Asphalt 8 is so bad stems from the fact it is almost entirely online and very heavily Microtransaction-based, which only exemplifies the problems of Power Creep and Upgrading Systems and whatnot; WipEout Fusion gets the upperhand because there isn't new content being added on a weekly basis, nor do you have to pay real money to get new ships... and most importantly, there aren't people online to torment.

Aesthetically speaking, I do like the change of art direction provided by Fusion; everything is built like a bulbous tank, with open canopies to provide for safer ejection systems, lots of pod space and chassis tonnage dedicated to weapons, shields, armor and cooling systems, and so on... and not so much an emphasis on speed and acceleration. It would also explain why all of the ships are so rusty, scratched and dirty; they can't afford to keep building whole new ships, so they have to keep recycling older materials and parts and constantly repairing whatever is the least junked.
    Last edited by Amaroq Dricaldari; 23rd February 2016 at 06:13 PM.

I always wonder how well would Goteki 45 do in the Fusion Universe, sure Tigron fits the bill but Goteki is gonna blow ships up because people like seeing things blow up vs blowing up Auricom ships for profit and smug satisfaction of destroying everything Belmondo stood for.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Goteki 45 might even have a thirst for vengeance here; Tigron (prior or during their acquisition of Qirex) might've been the ones to bomb their base.

I kinda want to know how Icaras would do in the F9000, as well. Assegai probably wouldn't exist since they're part of Pir-Hana, though...

Icaras would be rivals to Van Uber, both were purity of the sport teams and saw it as a rivalry to test their craft in a combat rich environment. Their craft are designed to weave through heavy barrages through sheer agility and Icaras having a literal flight system that let them fly over hostile craft. And what does Tigron have to gain from taking out Goteki? A Three way grudge match between Auricom, Tigron and Goteki is only good for overtel, Goteki doesn't care who they fight so long as they fight while Tigron will do it to maintain Overtel's power.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5

Personally, I like it. I like it a lot. Is it as good as WO 1, 2 or 3? No. But that's a hard thing to achieve. I actually like it better than Pure, Pulse and HD. It was different, but it had to be - they pretty much did what they wanted to do with the format. Wipeout 2097 fixed the faults of the original, and #3 just polished every aspect (almost too much), so what else was there to do? I'm glad they did something different. After Fusion they tried hard to capture that original magic but failed (in my opinion), and, as I've said, they already did what they set it to do. Why keep trying to do the same old, why not try something different? That's why I like it. Yeah.