Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Wipeout 2097/XL in Windows 8.1

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks for your findings, will give it a try

EDIT unfortunately none of your suggestions do work, RadeonPro will not want to launch the game as it requests elevation even though it is launched as admin, then there's no IPX nor speed reduction as you've mentioned.
    Last edited by aybe; 24th June 2015 at 06:02 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -7

umm ALL my suggestions work
    did you execute the registry file? cause it sounds like you did not. then ipx will be selectable. Note if the selection on the launcher says "Single Player" not IPX somethings wrong.
    ****If single player is what it says you are playing original EXE and need to limit frames*****
    the file is "directplay-win64.reg" if your 64 bit. as far as radeon pro needing admin rights what you need to do is give it. I turned my UAC off long ago, but if memory serves me... you may need to have all executable's flaged in the same manor, ie. all have admin rights or all do not, so if radeon needs it so will wipeout. Bro just cause you cant get things to launch correctly based on admin rights does not mean my suggestions do not work, if you need help post me i will be glad to help.
    it its a safe bet that if you set all EXE's in the radeon pro folder and wipeout xl folders with admin privileges you will be golden

Edit-- also make sure none of the EXE's are being blocked by windows (Right click/Properties/General if its being blocked it should say)

Edit Again --- Aybe do want to try multiplayer with me? im sure we can make it work. got steam?

and again, the in game menu changes when its done right, should see multiplayer selection in race type. Then launches a in game lobby.
    then you will see that you do not need a frame limiter what so ever, on multiplayer....

edited also changed my frame rate to 29 I think its better.
    Last edited by NegitiveNRG; 26th June 2015 at 12:22 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I previously did not see the attachment you were talking about but now I did and will take a look at it, also, sorry for the late reply but I have very little time these days ...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I'm a little curious here... why not simply use a utility for unpacking iso files like ecm? I was able to easily extract the rom from my game discs and repack it to run on an emulator. Am I missing something here? The only issue doing it that way is the cd soundtack, which there are a few workarounds to (but even on a PS3 you don't get the soundtrack!).

I personally use ePSXe to run these on not only a Windows 7 PC but also an OUYA running off a flash drive. The ePSXe emulator doesn't have any significant frame rate issues, and I can run all the PS Wipeout titles flawlessly in OpenGL at just above 30 fps. I can run them at an even higher rate of an average of 45 fps without using OpenGL.

Apologies ahead of time for not fully understanding this thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Well the main interest (IMO) is that the feeling of PC version is different than PSX. Other than that I do have a PSX to run it on as well as under an emulator, as people say, nothing beats the original so that's one of the reasons.

BTW have you tried Retroarch as the emulator ? the Mednafen core (PSX emu) does an incredible job ! You might be skeptical of Retroarch at first but it's simply incredible once you configured it, you can run pretty much any ROM from a consolidated GUI, like on a console. Basically, it uses well known emulators except that their interface has been unified through a plugin. As of today pretty much all the good emulators are available but ePSXe though (closed source).

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Oh ok. So I guess this isn't so much about the emulated version as it is the actual PC copy of the game (which I still have and forgot all about!). Not surprisingly, I found that it runs on the emulator I use much smoother than the PC version does. The emulated version feels more like the console for what it is worth. Also, there isn't a way to run the PC version in OpenGL, so I prefer to use the emulated version than the standard PC version because it plays better, looks better (due to OpenGL) and handles more like the console version. The PC version to me always felt more like a rushed port of the original than a separate version despite the close release dates which would indicate otherwise.

I actually paid for a version of ePSXe for the OUYA, it was a 0.99 cent download so I figured why not help the dev out a little. I found there are some additional features in the downloaded version I paid for. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. But I haven't heard of Retroarch. It sounds like a multi system emulator maybe?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

From what I remember from nearly 20 years ago, the PC version using a 3DFX was smoother than PSX, both of which I possessed at the time. And it did run at 800x600.

The Pete's OpenGL scaling feature in ePSXe is really incredible as you enjoy the PSX game at Full HD and there's nothing like it anywhere else !

For Retroarch you should really give it a try, basically it unifies all well-known emulators (they didn't re-invent the wheel) into a gamepad-driven GUI, there are 70 emulators cores, the usual snes9x, nestopia, bsnes, mame etc ... I was skeptical of it for quite long time but after I've got a good config, I never looked back at using each of the emulator separately. Plus the fact it has shaders makes it a unique piece of software in the emu world. But as I said, unfortunately ePSXe is not in because it is closed-source.

Another interesting piece of software for emulating WOXL is PCEM, it recently got 3DFX emulation though it is still not running at 100% speed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Lightbulb Something better

Quote Originally Posted by qp6015309 View Post

The PC version seems to be quite a bit darker and less vibrant (color wise) compared to the PSX version.

The PSX version is brighter and has more vibrant colors than the PC version (at least with the "Direct3D HAL" API).

Any chance that could be fixed somehow?
    Dgvoodoo has a brightness and color slider and it has anti-aliasing.

I added a screenshot with both effects subtly applied.

EDIT: I found a better alternative called DxWnd here: http://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/home/Home/

This program was created to be used as a compatibility layer for old games.
    The interesting option are:
    1) the FPS limiter under the timing tab
    2) 'Windows 95' under compat. tab
    3) 'DirectX hook version' to '1~6' under the Directx tab.
    4) 'Optimize CPU' on the main tab

I found 2) and 3) to prevent random game crashes, but 'Run in window' on the main tab must be turned OFF otherwise the game will just insta-crash or lag.

The strange thing is how the fps number works, as it sets a delay before the limiter will kick in. I found 33 msec to make the game run at its intended 30 fps, but maybe another number is necessary on PC's with a higher/lower spec. Can someone verify this?

One problem: (dgvoodoo has it as well)
    Setting bilinear/trilinear filtering results in extreme lag (at least, on my Pc). Only anti-aliasing can be used, but DxWnd doesn't have this option. My solution is to use both programs simultaneously. This suprisingly didn't gave me any side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    The PC version to me always felt more like a rushed port of the original than a separate version despite the close release dates which would indicate otherwise.
    Yeah, just look at the game's readme. It got released with quite serious know issues. But worse of all is the lack of FPS limiter. Just WHY? My first PC was a Pentium III and it ran the game about twice as fast, making it unbeatable.

EDIT:
    1) DxWnd doesn't work on windows 10
    2) HD pathes available here: http://www.gamekult.com/blog/panda/3...d-edition.html thanks to Panda(tm)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by miljoneir; 17th August 2015 at 07:59 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Works great, still need to lower frame rate though ... The MSI afterburner software does not seem to provide this feature anymore however ...

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I figured something strange. When selecting 800x600 as the resolution it resulted in being fixed at 30fps. Could someone else verify this? Maybe the 'optimal mode' from my intel control panel is doing this. (I was still using dgvoodoo btw)