Default 3D Track Simulations - Fly through and Free View

I'll just leave this here

http://phoboslab.org/wipeout/

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Whoaaa!! This is amazing!!

Mad props to the guy for reverse engineering it, been there as well for Lode Runner TLR and you can quickly lose your mind in all the mess of hexa of headers, blank space, compression and all that crazy stuff! Mad mad props!! Also a very cool project, the lighting is much better than in the actual games too ^^

Cipher

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Wow. Just wow.

I nominate this guy for the 2015 Golden E-Pak award. Seriously.

Just wow.

Wonder if he'll do the same for 2097.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Also: I will happily donate money to whoever can turn this into a Windows screensaver.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

For some reason this makes my computer overheat like crazy.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

That is SICK!! Here's to the possibility of a remake! Maybe dreams can come true!
    Last edited by Chill; 17th April 2015 at 02:56 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

This is awesome. I never really got the same connection to WO1 as I got with WO2097 – not to mention WO3(SE). Probably because it was one of the last WO games I got to try and, seriously, this game is hard to master. But it’s lovely to explore WO1 this way – especially in free mode. So much atmosphere in so few pixels and polygons. I would love to see the same for WO2097 and WO3(SE), but that’s probably too much to ask.

If I recall correctly, there was even someone trying to extract WOF’s track data. Would like too explore these too with all the added Detail the PS2 brought into the game.

Anyway, thanks for a fantastic WO1 revival.

That will make making this much easier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCEoRTjOZk

Quote Originally Posted by AGgamer View Post
    For some reason this makes my computer overheat like crazy.
    Maybe try with another web browser. The WebGL support is very inconsistent between web browsers. Currently, Firefox and Chrome provide the best support most of the time.

Wow, this is really impressive !
    Last edited by tigrou; 23rd April 2015 at 05:31 PM.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

That was seriously impressive videos of these tracks, so smooth as hell and loving it!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Cool

Hi all !

I've started working on a remake

TEAMS.INF

EBOLT.INF

MISS.INF

PBAR.INF

The road to victory will obviously be very long but I guess it can be done.

I first would like to thank Dominic Szablewski because without his work there wouldn't be anything to start from, coincidentally I started to look at the files just two days ago before his post and it's crystal clear to me that I wouldn't have figured out all he did figure in his WebGL experiment.

The project and its status:
    • using C# and MonoGame
    • implemented out pretty much all he did in his experiment
    • coded a scene parser/renderer and a bunch of other things
    • a GUI app. to preview and reverse engineer remaining things (WIP)

Once I feel there's a decent workspace for potential contributors I will push onto GitHub as well as making some RSS feed about the progress. Let's see what emerges from this project say within a 1 month time frame ...

Help is welcome !

PSN ID
    DIXI200

o_O "Curiosity amazing" I do not understand much about this because it's not my job, but what you are doing is a great job. This is the continuing human evolution. "Leonardo Da Vinci" dissected corpses to understand the human body. Sigh..Sigh .. my little "WO" what you are doing? I hope that "WO" as the "Phoenix" .. can rise from the ashes

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

aybe - I have already had this discussion with another member over a remake of the original game. You need to be aware that any use of the Wipeout IP and all associated trademarks would be in breach of copyright

I would also want to add that doing a remake is a LOT of work, something that is usually underestimated.

Making a track viewer is quite easy (unless you have to reverse engineer most of data format yourself, like Dominic Szablewski / Phoboslab did). While it might looks like a huge step have been done, this is actually 5% of the job.

Doing a complete game (remake) with all bells and whistles is another story. Not to say that it would require to carefully reproduce the physics from original game (AFAIK, we have no clue how exactly it works), making a gross approximation that is great to play but not faithful to original would make the remake a totally different game.

@Hellfire_WZ's yes you are right. Anyway, copyright issues can be avoided by forcing players to bring the original data by themselves to play the game (so original CD would be required and remake executable would read data from there directly). If you do it like that you should be fine. Importing the original 3D models in a 3D editor and distributing them freely with the remake is totally illegal (copyright infrightment).

About copyrighted names and associated trademarks : the remake should not include any of theses. Using alternative ones should be ok (like SpeedExtreme instead of Wipeout). This is what CorsixTH (aka Theme Hospital) did. And it is just fine (until today).
    Last edited by tigrou; 23rd April 2015 at 05:55 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

@Hellfire_WZ: I know, I think like @tigrou that basically we'd expect a player to possess the original game files; the project by itself will contain no copyrighted material at all.

- - - Updated - - -

@tigrou : clearly it's a LOT of work, I know what it takes when it's about programming ... as I said let's see what emerges within a month and maybe one can envision a bit more than an editor/viewer. It's probably irrealistic as a one-man job because of time and social constraints, hence my idea of bringing an incentive starter-kit and making it public in GitHub after. Obviously one can not achieve every aspect of this project, while I think I can personally achieve most of the low-level plumbing it's quite clear to me that help will be needed in regards to physics and testing, for instance.

Let's positive a bit ! and see if it gets any attention within the next weeks

- - - Updated - - -

@DIXI200 : sorry forgot to reply ... I hope too, we're a bit far from Da Vinci or corpse dissection though

Timezone
    GMT + 10

I think like aybe says, one step at a time, see what progress can be made.

Just about copyright, have a read of this tale of woe about a guy that made a Smurfs fangame for the Amiga using backbone
    http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76750

Separately I had a poke around the PC version of Wipeout 2097 and the Amiga version of it last night. They both use the same files apart from some PowerPC loaders required for the Amiga version. The Amiga version was smoother and could be rendered in higher resolution but the data is the same. The PC version has BMP files of the images used, quite easy to view.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

That's quite ironic from the communist cartoon that the Smurfs is ... one thing though: he ripped things from a 2011 anime which is probably still being sold as a DVD. Lesson learned, it's also wise to not send any money next to an e-mail received online, those companies know that most people would be intimidated this way and might pay right away though they didn't necessarily employ the legal procedure. A legal and safe way is simply to not ship any copyrighted content, period. We live in a world where some people even wants to privatize a free and universal good : water ...

That said, I had a quick a look at Amiga WOXL files since Alex Power was kind enough to share them, they look pretty identical and I'm not even sure it's in big-endian (haven't checked though). Haven't really done anything on the project today since I was fighting with C# a bit, @tigrou is right but you are too, to exist this thing has to be realized and it's not gonna happen by magic and in one day. I just hope that the initial motivation/passion will not fade away, it's a critical aspect right now for this project to see the light of the day.

As soon as I've made more progress, I'll see if either the admins here would let me have a dedicated thread or I'll setup a place in my domain.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrou View Post
    @Hellfire_WZ's yes you are right. Anyway, copyright issues can be avoided by forcing players to bring the original data by themselves to play the game (so original CD would be required and remake executable would read data from there directly). If you do it like that you should be fine.
    That may be true but then it’s pretty much what a PSX emulator would do. Having a dedicated software wouldn’t add much (versus an emulator), unless you wanna add new game modes or new ships or things like that, and then enters the topic of alteration of material.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Aaaaanyway... back to the topic?