Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Thanks for sharing all the details bigsnake.
    Your last vid looks awesome.
    I'll try your last (or next) release I guess. I hope my laptop will be able to run it.

Keep up the good work

I'm using a laptop, I just put the settings all the way down

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by PureSpeed7 View Post
    feature request: THE ABILITY TO CHANGE BETWEEN KPH AND MPH!@#$%!!!
    In the future, the last 3 countries yet to officially adopt the metric system finally get their act together

in more general news... I just found this thread, tried physics test 2, then the Zone test... the steering is unbelievably improved in that timespan.
    Nice work! I'll be keeping an eye on this

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Sick video Jabberjaw.. That project certainly looks promising!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Seems like I’ll have to boot up my windows partition to test this stuff Interested in how the track focused camera feels like. Just watched Qirex doing its lap in WO3 and I cannot wait to see a craft floating this smooth along the racing track again

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    Thanks for sharing all the details bigsnake.
    Your last vid looks awesome.
    I'll try your last (or next) release I guess. I hope my laptop will be able to run it.

Keep up the good work
    Hopefully it should run well. I'm about half way there with a new version, it's going to have an audio/graphics options menu so you'll be able to better tweak the graphics outside of the default Unity presets. You'll also be able to turn off the bloom, anti-aliasing and realtime ships reflections to help save on performance too.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Seeing what's going on right now, it's defenitely WipEouts Rebirth XD

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Alpha 0.01
    I think the game is ready to enter an early alpha stage, the physics from here on out will only be receiving small tweaks and bug fixes here and there. This version has an options menu, once you click Apply it will create an XML file in Documents/BallisticNG, let me know how that goes.

This version is noticeably larger then every other version because it features music by TheConzio, quite a few tracks.
    Note: I actually forgot to update the credits .txt file, just amended it so the next version will mention TheConzio.

Download Link: https://db.tt/WabW6Tgh
    Last edited by bigsnake; 23rd April 2015 at 10:10 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

any chances of making the game running on extremely low tech hardware? my PC is 12! years old, XP32/SP3 - 1GB RAM - 128MB VRAM - directx9.0c.

Agreed with the low specs, my laptop played the previous build fine, but the new version runs incredibly slow even on the lowest settings.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

It will be hard to get the game running well on 12 year old hardware but directX9 is possible. In a matter of fact you can force directX9 right now. Create a shortcut to the exe, right click and go to proerties then add "-force-d3d9" (without quotations) to the end of target. You can alternativly also force OpenGL, you can use the switch "-force-opengl" (again without quotation marks) for that one.

There's still plenty of optimizations I can do and I'll do my best to get the game running faster. If you'd like to help make it easier to understand how the game performs on other machines, I just made this Google Form that I will be putting on the original post.

Is it possible to have an option " leave background off" ? That would probably do it as my computer ran version 4 just fine

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Runs awesome on my hardware on ultra settings at 3440x1440 - I guess like most modern games it's all GPU and the rest of the machine barely matters. For reference; my cpu/ram/etc are all from 2009, but I have a GTX780Ti

fun little bug: if you barrel roll when falling off the track, you get the boost when you get dropped back onto the track

Unrelated: I cannot say I'm a fan of the new music. it would be great as in-game radio for a car game exploring a city, but it doesn't feel right for a futuristic racer

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Guys please, don't ask for the game to run on a 12 years old PC...
    I'm downloading the last version right now, will try it.
    My laptop is core I7 with 6 GB of RAM and GT 650M, I'll try to see if I can run it (graphic card is still a mobile GPU...)

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Great to know it's running well on the higher end
    When it comes to the rendering side there's not much I can really do for the lower end, the view distance on the lowest eliminates a large portion of geometry so it should improve it, plus anything you can't see isn't rendered either. If you are getting worse performance with the latest version then that's just a more accurate representation of what to expect as the game grows unfortunately, when there's nothing but the track floating in the void there's very little to do. Without realtime reflections for the ship enabled I'm looking at a 0.8ms render time (on my graphics card) with 350k polygons, that polygon count is just a bit over the recommended ~150k polygon count for 3D mobile games. With realtime reflections it's 4.5ms and 2.5m polygons, quite the jump. I'm using an R9 280x for anyone who wants to compare that. I will work on a stats screen that you can use to see how the game is performing.

If you find the CPU usage of the game is however too high then that's something I can work on, my code is in no way as optimized as it could be and I'll be working on that as time goes on. I would much prefer do that once all features are in though otherwise it's going to hinder a lot with progress.

Known Bugs and issues
    [!] = Fixed
    • Barrel Roll boosts not canceled on re-spawning [!]
    • Restarting a race from the menu reloads the track with nothing happening
    • Menu options are not updated when the game is next run
    • When loading a song the game freezes for around a second
    Last edited by bigsnake; 25th April 2015 at 01:21 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

My settings are similar. I'm running a laptop with an i7@2GHz, 8GB ram and a Mobility Radeon HD 6570.

I'll update this with my results, I'm currently downloading it now.

EDIT: I can say that it works nearly perfectly on my system using the "Laptop" setting, right up to "Normal". I start to get 90C+ on "Normal", though, so I don't want to take it further, but it does seem like my system will handle "High", even though the CPU might overheat.

EDIT2: Don't worry about the overheating thing, though. My laptop has heat problems. Can you guess what make it is?
    Last edited by Ace3000; 25th April 2015 at 01:40 PM.

My Wife's laptop is not that old, maybe I need to just reformat it so it will run on the low end at least. I don't have enough cash to get a laptop until fall.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    Guys please, don't ask for the game to run on a 12 years old PC...
    why not? i bet there's more systems out there with 10+ years old hardware, than newer ones. not everyone sees the need of a new PC every now and then

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

@JFthebestJan : because it would be a shame to have a drastic visual downgrade to be able to run on PC from the last decade.
    I agree with you that not everyone need a recent PC, but if you want to play recent games with your PC then you are part of the people who shoud see the need of a decent hardware.

EDIT : tried it. Gameplay is awesome dude! It runs great in high+720p on my laptop. It does not feel smooth in 1080p but it's not important.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nycdp please excuse the performance, I don't know the track.
    I think there is a real issue with the shadows. Otherwise it seems OK.
    I understand the counters for BRs and HyperThrust. That's clever sir
    Last edited by Temet; 25th April 2015 at 04:39 PM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Thanks, and if you want to try and squeeze out any extra performance try turning off the ship reflections in the options menu
    I'll have to change the shadow resolutions for the different options because those shadows in that video are way too low resolution.

I just made the first official song for the game, it takes a lot of inspiration from Cairodrome.