Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

For testing only of course, I would love to see how well the physics work with some original tracks

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Damn that's cool, if I get the time I don't see why I couldn't convert that guys javascript into C# to load the tracks into Unity for testing purposes, it would help a lot with seeing how the physics work in a real environment

PSN ID
    Pluslescute

Wow o.o Not one Wipeout project, but two? I'm impressed. This feels fairly solid. I managed to throw myself off the track a couple times from colliding with walls, but otherwise, I'm glad to see the wall collisions working pretty damn nicely. Keep it up man!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Since we are already talking about content, may I start designing the 3 Jennter crafts on paper? (If they are in?)

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Sure, go ahead! I'd love to see some designs come through

Quote Originally Posted by pichuscute View Post
    Wow o.o Not one Wipeout project, but two? I'm impressed. This feels fairly solid. I managed to throw myself off the track a couple times from colliding with walls, but otherwise, I'm glad to see the wall collisions working pretty damn nicely. Keep it up man!
    One day my wall collisions will be completely bug free and it will be great. I thought I sorted a majority of issues out earlier on today, only to find that I managed to somehow shoot the ship into space by colliding nose first with a wall, not sure how that happened but finding the issue is going to be annoying.

Physics Test 4
    Just finished the new physics test, which can be downloaded here.

This has a very basic environment setup, it continues on with that desert trend I had on the first track and features a new HUD, turbo pickup, WO3 hyper-thrust like feature, barrel rolls (will be limited on a per lap basis in the future) and loads of changes to pitching. Some minor additions include boosting wind trails and a Wipeout HD boost edge stretching effect.

You can also somewhat drift, turn very early into a corner and use the airbrakes to swing around the corner.

Physics Test 4.1
    This small update adds per-class gravity and grip settings which allows me to make the ship control differently per class now. I've also redone the debugging screen, you no longer have to press the Apply button for settings to change and it now uses input fields instead of sliders so you can type in any value you like. If you find a good handling setup then feel free to share it

You can download it here.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 19th April 2015 at 04:46 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

I suck at any kind of drawings. If you want, you could make something up from my descriptions of the Angelus ships, send em to me, and I'll give you the final OK.

This is not just to bigsnake, but anyone who can do good designs of some kind.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hello, I have been playing all of the test builds using my keyboard. I noticed that I am unable to steer and trigger the airbrake at the same time, as this results in the ship not turning at all.
    Anyway, good work.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Quote Originally Posted by Ace3000 View Post
    I suck at any kind of drawings. If you want, you could make something up from my descriptions of the Angelus ships, send em to me, and I'll give you the final OK.

This is not just to bigsnake, but anyone who can do good designs of some kind.
    I don't know how you imagine an Angelus or Crinale craft, but I'll give it a try.

Timezone
    GMT -6

The spirit of wipeout shall live on in all these games! (these things seem to grow from trees! xD)

EDIT: feature request: THE ABILITY TO CHANGE BETWEEN KPH AND MPH!@#$%!!!

WipEout NEEDED that in every game
    Last edited by PureSpeed7; 19th April 2015 at 12:40 PM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by miljoneir View Post
    Hello, I have been playing all of the test builds using my keyboard. I noticed that I am unable to steer and trigger the airbrake at the same time, as this results in the ship not turning at all.
    Anyway, good work.
    There's a few people having issues with keyboards. Unfortunately it's out of my power and is because of Unity's crappy input manager, I'll have to implement my own input manager later down the line. Does your keyboard have anti-ghosting by any chance? I've found that this could be the culprit of keyboard input issues.

Quote Originally Posted by miljoneir View Post
    feature request: THE ABILITY TO CHANGE BETWEEN KPH AND MPH!@#$%!!!
    Will add it in, won't take much effort

I've finished the update for Physics Test 4, see the post here if you want to see it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I would like to suggest some features.
    1. Saving the F1 options. It could be just simple .txt file where all the options are saved. Because everytime I change some value, I have to change it again in next round. Also my handling setup is TurnGain: 4000, TurnFaloff: 5000, ABAmount: 4.
    2. High scores. It could be just another Fx function, where I can find my best lap and 5 lap times.
    Maybe I will add some more over time.
    And thank you for keeping up your great work.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Thanks for the suggestions, saving and loading the ship setting options are now in, I'll add the high score saving soon

I have another build as well, this time it's a test of Zone mode. You can download it here.
    You don't take damage from wall collisions yet so this is basically just a situation of keep going until the ship becomes completely uncontrollable.

Talking of wall collisions, my main focus for the next build will be wall collisions. They will be far less jarring. Forward collisions will more aless be the same where you quickly loose speed but the speed loss will be a lot smoother and hitting a wall with the back of your ship will not have any affect on its speed. With this I will also be properly calculating friction (at the moment your speed just decreases by a set value), this will allow for wall damage to be added.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 20th April 2015 at 01:53 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Hello,

Just discovered the topic.
    It look great.

Is there a reason why you decided to start your own project and not join the SSGX team?
    Why adding barrel-rolls if the gameplay is intended to be close to PS1 games?

That said, it's awesome what you achieved alone, really impressive!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Thanks, I'm glad you like the look of the project so far

The guys working on SSGX are rather busy as of recently and they've already got the game planned how they want it, it wouldn't be very practical for me to ask to join at this point because they're already mid-development. Before I even knew what SSGX was I was working on another project (AGR2280) so by the time I did know I was busy with my own thing.

For the barrel rolls, it's just because they're a fun addition. I mentioned in the description of one of my development videos that I was going to be limiting their use to 3-4 per lap to keep it balanced since you can leave the track very easily and because there's two other methods of boosting (turbo pickup and a hyperthrust-eqsue feature), the usage limit might be lowered even more or their effect as a method of boosting altogether might be removed just so they are a fancy trick you can do in mid-air yet though.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

If anything, hyper-thrust should be brought back instead of barrel rolls.. I could see a remade version of the first Wipeout using raw horsepower for hyper thrust much like classic muscle cars, but for jet engines as that was the idea for the original.. Jet engines and magnets.. It would also go with the original style better. You could even add a sonic boom effect when activated.
    Last edited by Chill; 21st April 2015 at 02:05 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Thanks for the answer
    Well, I personaly disliked the Hyperthrust in W3O. But it's a personal thing, I'm sure some liked it

I saw later that you were working on AGR2280

I hope you can get some help for music, modeling, etc because the physic seems really good. That said, I didn't try it with a controller in my own hands.
    I tried SSGX and I told the guys that the ships are way too heavy, it's almost impossible to turn without airbrakes... and even with airbrakes, you have to know the track because you have to anticipate A LOT. I hope they will fix it, SSGX is promissing also

EDIT : just saw the last 2 vids, awesome work
    Last edited by Temet; 21st April 2015 at 09:33 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Ace3000_42

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    I hope you can get some help for music
    I was gonna suggest TheConzio, but IIRC, he's doing the soundtrack for _speed_, a top down wipeout clone.

I don't know, maybe he provide some tracks for this too?

The hyper thrust he put in doesn't affect shield energy, and can be used after weapon hits putting a lot of strategy of when to use it. It is also not as fast as the turbo weapon pickup. It feels really good so far.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Actually it does, using up the full amount of thrust you can have per lap in one go will waste up about the same amount as a single barrel roll, no where near as much as the hyperthrust did in WO3 but still enough to make it's usage during a race a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    If anything, hyper-thrust should be brought back instead of barrel rolls.. I could see a remade version of the first Wipeout using raw horsepower for hyper thrust much like classic muscle cars, but for jet engines as that was the idea for the original.. Jet engines and magnets.. It would also go with the original style better. You could even add a sonic boom effect when activated.
    I like the idea of the sonic boom effect, I'll have to add something like that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace3000 View Post
    I was gonna suggest TheConzio, but IIRC, he's doing the soundtrack for _speed_, a top down wipeout clone.

I don't know, maybe he provide some tracks for this too?
    TheConzio has actually already donated some of his tracks for use in the game, he originally contacted me about music in AGR but I never got round to it, I recently contacted him back asking for permission to use them in this instead and I've got the go, what he sent me will more then likely be in the next release.

The way I'm currently seeing the hyperthrust and barrel roll situation is that they play together. Each lap you are given about 3 seconds of hyperthrust and 3 barrel rolls, however you want to use them is up to you. Using the full amount of the hyperthrust given to you will waste up around 15 shield energy, performing a barrel roll will waste up 15 shield energy. Once you have performed 3 barrel rolls you can still barrel roll, but they are purely cosmetic until you next past the starting line, the same goes for the hyperthrust.
    In racebox you will be able to disable both the hyperthrust and barrel rolls, disabling one will give you unlimited of the other. So disabling barrel rolls will give you unlimited hyperthrust and disabling hyperthrust will give you unlimited barrel rolls. You can also disable both if you so desire. The unlimited hyperthrust will however waste up a bit more of your shield energy when being used, going from around a cost of 5 shield energy per second to 10 per second.

I was also talking to Jabberjaw about replenishing shield energy via PM. The way we seem to both be looking at this is that there's both absorbing pickups and a pitlane. However, absorbing a pickup will only give you a very small amount of shield energy compared to the pitlane. Basically, absorbing pickups is for saving your ass at the last minute so you can make it back to the pitlane providing you don't keep taking more damage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKft8...ature=youtu.be

A short video of ballisticNG early build. No side shifts give it an older game feel with a mix of HD of how the ship moves. I'm looking forward to seeing tracks with multiple bumps and turns to get the sliding feel of the older games. The hyper thrust is excellent for recovery from wall hits, and will certainly help with weapon hits too. This race was the standard settings using a negcon ( hours to figure out how to do this)
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 22nd April 2015 at 05:07 AM.