Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Timezone
    GMT + 1

@bigsnake

I'll just put my progress here for simplicity ...

2015-09-30 23_48_17-Unity Personal (64bit) - scene1.unity - inputmanager2 - PC, Mac & Linux Stan.png

2015-09-30 23_48_54-Cortana.png

Previous version had flaws and I've improved things:

• we'll use 'Commands' that have 'Bindings' of various types (analog, digital)
    • when polling a command, you can get value as digital or analog (for this one, pad input has precedence)
    • we now have a command that reacts to multiple devices ! (a must btw, Unity and many games do that, i.e. a normal UX)

Unsolved / WIP

• shall we forbid combinations of signed axes / buttons ? it might be simpler as they're unrelated after all
    • if we should ensure no.1 then whether to define new interfaces for half/full axes
    • how shall we present things? actions -> key/buttons/axes or the opposite ? this has implications, I'd say no.1 ...
    • keyboard axes ? tightly related to former point (help !)
    • analog keyboard ? not too hard IMO and we could enhance it with nice easings, but is it really useful ?

Anyone is welcome to comment for improvement

ps. I've abandoned considering https://github.com/daemon3000/InputManager as IMO it is too bloated

Timezone
    GMT + 1

more news !

fixed many things:

• now you can build a configuration of commands, each command can be an 'AxisCommand' or a 'ButtonCommand' and accepts keyboard/gamepad, one can't go wrong as constructs allows only proper types
    • now there are devices that returns available bindings they do offer
    • say if a 'ButtonCommand' is bound to a keyboard key and an Xbox trigger, you'll get the analog value for the trigger
    • keyboard can act as an 'AxisCommand', i.e strafe, move, pitch, yaw etc ...
    • preliminary UI
    • also now it is very easy to add extra input methods

remaining:

• complete UI that maps configuration commands to bindings !
    • detect user presses
    • load/save
    • etc ...

here's a diagram:

2015-10-01 21_59_07-inputmanager2 - Microsoft Visual Studio.png

in short, we're getting closer !
    Last edited by aybe; 1st October 2015 at 08:07 PM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Nice work! We'll have to see if it can be completed and implemented for the next release. There isn't any date and it's definitely not anytime soon so there's plenty of time

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Looks like there's some telepathic comms between us as I was going to reply

Many changes since last time and basically I guess I've pretty much nailed it:

• finest granularity for gamepad, e.g. left thumb +X is a button by itself (and not part of the X axis); this allows making any kind of combination but also simplifies UI/UX in the end (see picture)
    • an UI that presents commands and allows button assignments, it is skinnable, scrollable and IMO gets straight to the point by presenting a simple but effective layout
    • loading and saving a configuration ! this was a bit of a headache but it's done (using XML)
    • devices we listen to for pressed inputs
    • tech stuff: stripped generics as while clever it is not in the end, helpers such as IsPressed() / GetDescription(), implementing a new device/button is very easy
    • tech stuff: the Command (abstract) class does host the real stuff, AxisCommand and ButtonCommand are here to implement their correct definition of GetValue()

There was a worrying aspect : UI navigation; but a quick test shown that the system works with it and without any changes, pfeww ...

Showcase

2015-10-06 20_11_01-Unity Personal (64bit) - sceneInputBinder.unity - InputMapper - PC, Mac & Li.png

• there are 2 commands : "Strafe" (AxisCommand), "Jump" (ButtonCommand)
    • each command's button end as a button in UI (AxisCommand has 2 obviously)
    • whenever any is pressed, a popup asks for input ...
    • (need to beautify/clean their description a bit, whole text after a key button is actually an Xbox button)
    • (for the skin I expect the user to provide a prefab with a Text component, preferably that is selectable, that's it)

Basically I expect a 2-step process:

• give it a try and let me know anything to adjust
    • I'll make a package and do the integration

(I'll probably send it to you by tonight or tomorrow)

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Hey everyone! Today I have a release that's an early test for a future feature, modding.

At the minute this is a template Unity project that you can use to setup ships and save them into Asset bundles that you will be able to import into the game later on (not now), there's a download link on the original post or you can download it here. Stand-alone tools that are much easier to use will be coming in the future, but for now this provides a quick and dirty way for me to test modding out and others to understand how it will work. Unity is completely free so there isn't any sort of price tag attached to being able to get Unity setup to test it out.

Right now it isn't documented at all other then what I will mention in just a second, but if you're feeling adventurous then it shouldn't take too long to understand how it works. I've included Wyvern's ship models as an example. In the root of the assets folder you will find a file called include.txt, this is where it gets more interesting:

Instead of searching through folders and expecting specific files, you have complete freedom of where you want to store assets and what you want to call them. This is done through a list of commands, here's an example of what it looks like:

Code:
    START SHIP_HIGHPOLY
    PREFAB MyShips/Example/Wyvern/Wyvern_HP
    DISPLAYNAME Wyvern
    FESPEED 0
    FETHRUST 0
    FEHANDLING 0
    FESHIELD 0 
    END SHIP_HIGHPOLY
    When a mod is loaded this will be the first thing to be read and as you can imagine, each command tells the game what to do. So in this instance what is happening is we're first telling the game that what it's going to be setting up is a highpoly ship (basically the normal, non PS1 styled ships) and then the location of where it can find the prefab with all the settings and references to locators (where to place things like effects). After that it is given a display name, the frontend stats are setup (what is shown on the menu) and then we're done.

This little command system will only be present if you use Unity to create asset bundles, the future stand-alone modding tools will automatically set all of these commands up for you. The reason I have chosen to go with this instead of something such as an XML or JSON file is just because it's more lightweight in that it doesn't require an additional library to be bundled with the game to read and write to a specific format, these are just lines of completely human readable words that can be interpreted with just a few lines of code.

The way a mod will be setup is through a pack that can contain custom tracks, ships, HUDs and music. Now Asset Bundles will be just one way this will be possible, and I'll be using this to add more content to the game post-release, but the other will be through just a folder containing all the files with a reference file to tell BallisticNG what it's looking for, however this method will be limited to just ships and music (HUDs and Tracks are a bit more complex). The track editor will be purely for creating a mesh and relevant track data to import into the game (or in this case the unity project tools).

Timezone
    GMT + 1

sounds great

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a while now and I have to say I'm liking where this is going. Good ol' callback to the classic trilogy in preview tracks and whatnot, and the handling feels very similar too.

Not exactly well versed in the physics and modeling side of things, my knowledge of building games is very limited. But, I couldn't help but notice that everyone who's been submitting suggestions for teams has been concerned with the 2280 entrants. So I was wondering, could I suggest a 'founder' company for the 2059 season on the backstory planning, or are the dev team already deciding on some 2059 teams aside from G-Tech?

Timezone
    GMT + 8

@Thane
    Yep! Feel free and go ahead posting anything in the Wiki. It'll certainly help.

I had this weird suggestion, and I want to hear from your opinions: Should we drop the realistic graphics of BnG and instead focus on the PS1 aesthetics?
    I'm sure some will disagree but IMO making the game look like a 32-bit patato-racer feels much more ...correct for a tribute. Maybe toss in some post-FX like SweetFX-like tints and it'll look nice.

And really Snake, that magazine cover?
    I swore I spent the rest of the day laughing at "What is a game? - BBC".

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

I don't know how to post on the wiki. Do I need to make an account or something? I've been stressing a rather complete backstory for a while and I kinda feel like I'm being ignored since its not on the wiki.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by TheXTR09 View Post
    @Thane

I had this weird suggestion, and I want to hear from your opinions: Should we drop the realistic graphics of BnG and instead focus on the PS1 aesthetics?
    I'm sure some will disagree but IMO making the game look like a 32-bit patato-racer feels much more ...correct for a tribute. Maybe toss in some post-FX like SweetFX-like tints and it'll look nice.

And really Snake, that magazine cover?
    I swore I spent the rest of the day laughing at "What is a game? - BBC".
    I'm going to be keeping the modern graphics but I do want to put a lot more focus on the PS1 styled side of the game, you can expect the PS1 styled content to be finished first and then the modern graphics finished much later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by AGgamer View Post
    I don't know how to post on the wiki. Do I need to make an account or something? I've been stressing a rather complete backstory for a while and I kinda feel like I'm being ignored since its not on the wiki.
    Nah you don't need to create an account. Like all wikis, wikia wikis are open for anyone to edit. You should see a blue edit button at the top left of the page, you just need to click that and you'll be able to start editing. You might want to create a new page depending on how long the story you've got is

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

Quote Originally Posted by TheXTR09 View Post
    @Thane
    Sweet. In that case, I'm introducing the British team, Caliburn RA. I'm currently making a really shoddy basic design in Sketchup too.

If the idea gets picked up, hopefully the concept mesh comes across well enough to make something good from it, and I could probably altering/expand on the team backstory some.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I'm currently working on one "old style" based ship. It's not part of any team yet, so if Snake will include it in some existing team is up to him.
    Render 3b.jpg
    It's not finished, some changes of textures are expected in the future. I can change the color scheme, but I like the blue/white.
    Last edited by Meg.A.Byte; 27th October 2015 at 07:41 PM.

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

Ok, figured out a way to import the mesh into Blender. I could export it into an .obj for ease, or something else.

Attachment 9778

Won't lie, it's inspired by some of 2097's model work. Everything's blocky and the vertices are a mess, so it'll need a lot of reworking... especially on the aero wing fixtures, the pylons look a little weak on second thought.

Currently thinking up logo, livery and team colours. I'm thinking a Deep Green/Gold/White theme (traditional British racing colours), unless one of you lovely chaps are interested in making some other suggestions.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Thane Corrigan View Post
    Ok, figured out a way to import the mesh into Blender. I could export it into an .obj for ease, or something else.
    Won't lie, it's inspired by some of 2097's model work. Everything's blocky and the vertices are a mess, so it'll need a lot of reworking... especially on the aero wing fixtures, the pylons look a little weak on second thought.
    Currently thinking up logo, livery and team colours. I'm thinking a Deep Green/Gold/White theme (traditional British racing colours), unless one of you lovely chaps are interested in making some other suggestions.
    I can't open the attachment, it says it's broken. I'm even more excited now

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

Yeowch, broken link. Uhh... Better use an external image source then.

Yeah, that should work

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Ballistic NG

History of Negative-Gravity
    As tensions between the US and Russia resurfaced after being dormant for decades, the two nations returned to their arms race. Many new kinds of tech were experimented with, most notably Negative-Gravity. Both superpowers developed the new gravity defying devices in secret within their black-ops division. Prototype craft were spotted around the world and mistaken as UFOs. Both sides took this as an opportunity to cover up their mishaps; better the people believe in aliens than in top secret weaponry.

This cover would eventually be blown however. In 2051, the russian government unveiled the new technology to its people, claiming supremacy over the US. In response, the Americans too unveiled their own NG technology. But they did not stop there. They distributed their Tech to Europe and Japan were Nexus and G-Tek would be founded respectively. Furthermore the Americans developed Omnicom, and announced the birth of a new sport: Negative-Gravity Racing. The Negative-Gravity Racing League (NGRL) was founded in Omnicom’s name, the first races scheduled to be held in 2059.

NGRL Team list

Omnicom
    Full name- Omnicom Governmental Institution
    Country of Origin- USA
    Liverty- Purple-white
    Ship Model- No model to display(This is a two hulled ship, it is blocky but sleek. It’s two noses are pointed like the 2097 Auricom, and are very close together and are narrow, it is obviously a two-hulled craft, but when viewed from the side it appears to be single-hulled. Perhaps like the HD Assegai if it’s two hulls were closer together.)
    History- The founders and owners of the Negative Gravity Racing League (NGRL). They were originally a military black-ops science team for the USA under the name of ‘Project Aura’ until they were reformed into a NG-vehicle manufacturer in 2051 after the surprise reveal on NG technology to the world. They graciously distributed their technology across the world, and founded several other manufacturers in their name, establishing world wide dominance and monopolizing the technology. As the owners of the league, they naturally appear in the first races of 2059.

G-Tek
    Full name- Gravity-Technologies
    Country of Origin- Japan
    Liverty- Red-white
    Ship Model- G-Tek (in shape it resembles the 2097 Feisar, in color it resembles AG-Systems)
    History- Perhaps the one of the closest-allied teams to Omnicom, G-Teck believes that the NGRL and NG-technology as a whole will lead to friendly competition and the peaceful advancement of all mankind. The theoretical physicist Adam Chivers, the CEO of G-Tek, was who originally proposed the possibility of Negative Gravity, and was hired to assist in its development by Project Aura in 2035. This team would join for the first season of the NGRL in 2059.

Diavolt
    Full name- Diavolt Governmental Engineering
    Country of Origin- Russia
    Liverty- White-Red-Yellow
    Ship Model- No model to display(A differently colored HD Qirex)
    History- The greatest rival of Omnicom. This Russian team is the reformed black-ops science team of Russia, founded after the United States government announced the NGRL in 2051. Russia would not allow the Americans to keep them out of a new sport, and pushed to have their team permitted to race. However the US thought the competition would increase the tensions between the two superpowers, and denied them entry. This decision came back to bite them as the Russian government was furious at this insulting move. After a long controversy spanning over 8 months, Diavolt was finally allowed to race, and joined for the first races of 2059.

Nexus
    Full name- Nexus International Industries
    Country of Origin- EU
    Liverty- Blue-yellow
    Ship Model- NX2000(Reminds many of the prototype Feisar and harimau from Pulse)
    History- To say Nexus was honored to join the NGRL for its first races in 2059 would be an understatement. The passion of the EU nations was beyond anything anyone could have expected, multiple car and airplane manufacturers were shut down from the sheer numbers of engineers leaving them in favor of joining Nexus. The team quickly rose to power within the EU, and many smiles were shared between them and Omnicom as they met on the track. However, in 2097 the team became fractured and separated. Most members of Nexus opted to stay, but a large fraction left in favor of Wyvern, crippling the unity the team was so proud of.

Wyvern
    Full name- Wyvern Incorporated
    Country of Origin- UK
    Liverty- Green-black
    Ship Model- Wyvern
    History- Separating from Nexus over a difference of opinion, Wyvern was thrilled to join the NGRL for it’s second season in 2109. They have a particularly strong rivalry with Nexus, especially within the UK itself, as the nation claims allegiance to both teams. Wyvern believed that Nexus, a team originally founded on the passion and unity of europe, had grown too power and money driven and sought to reignite that passion once again. They succeeded in ending Nexus’ power trip and proceeded to become a major competitor in the NGRL.

Scorpio
    Full name- Scorpio Engineering
    Country of Origin- Italy
    Liverty- Yellow-grey-white
    Ship Model- Scorpio
    History- In 2120, before Nexus could even lick its wounds at the loss to Wyvern, the team was divided again. Over half of the remaining members left Nexus, and an Italian team under the name of Scorpio was born. Scorpio would seek to join the NGRL for the 2159 league and would aim to put the bleeding team of Nexus to shame. They are closely allied with Wyvern as both teams left Nexus.

Tenrai
    Full name- Tenrai Racing Developments
    Country of Origin- Australia
    Liverty- Azure-white
    Ship Model- Protonic AG 4
    History- Founded in 2121 by Omnicom after its most powerful ally, Nexus, was reduced to a shadow of its former self, Tenrai allowed the nation of Australia to compete in the NGRL for the first time, their first races scheduled for the third season in 2159.

Barracuda(secret team)
    Full name- Barracuda
    Country of Origin- Unknown (hidden in Antarctica)
    Liverty- Red-navy
    Ship Model- No model to display(This is a single hull craft that is ‘fish’ shaped when viewed from above. It’s cockpit is close to the nose. It has three wings on the rear, two standard downward pointed wings and a third one sticking straight up from the middle, resembling a fish’s tail.)
    History- Little is known about this mysterious team, they appeared as if from nowhere in 2073 and making their first appearance in the league in 2109. Much of their technology is of unknown origin. Omnicom did not found them, and Diavolt openly denies having part in their formation. What is known is that they are highly elitist, and desire to find ‘perfection.’ They do so by very controversial means: The limbs of their pilots are removed and replaced with advanced cybernetics, for “improved reaction time” and “Less unnecessary blood-flow.” Based on these statements, many believe that Barracuda would use AI to pilot their craft if it weren’t against regulations in the NGRL.

Circuits

Utah Project
    Built in 2042 as a NG-tech testing track for the American black-ops division, the circuit was repurposed as an official NGRL circuit in 2052. It is also now openly used by many teams as a testing ground for their craft. However, Diavolt has never requested to use it for this purpose, and Omnicom probably would deny them the privilege even if they asked.

How does this look? I put a lot of thought into this. This is my proposal for the backstory of Ballistic NG. I hope you like it!
    Last edited by AGgamer; 30th October 2015 at 08:12 PM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Looks good, I like it! You clearly have put a lot of thought an effort into writing that so very good job Only thing I can really point at is to not use my name as a big figure in the game, seems a bit pretentious (original name of the CEO I had made for Gtek was Harry Kiyomi). I'll get to creating all the wiki pages a little later on, most likely by Monday for the reason mentioned at the bottom of this post. If you've got anything else you want to add/change then PM me, that way we can keep the thread a bit cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Thane Corrigan View Post
    Yeowch, broken link. Uhh... Better use an external image source then.

Yeah, that should work
    You know for something that's made in sketchup that's impressive, I'm not sure how it holds up today but last time I used it, it was focused on architecture and if you tried to make anything else then you might have well just given up. Since AGGamer has already just created a roster of teams above the team won't be included in the main 8 planned, but there's going to be a large amount of side teams to unlock so it will be very likely it will be added through that

Quote Originally Posted by Meg.A.Byte View Post
    I'm currently working on one "old style" based ship. It's not part of any team yet, so if Snake will include it in some existing team is up to him.
    Render 3b.jpg
    It's not finished, some changes of textures are expected in the future. I can change the color scheme, but I like the blue/white.
    Do you want to make that the new Hyperion? As a few people have mentioned the current model doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the game since it's more of a Wipeout HD Fury styled ship, so this could be a good opportunity to change that.

So yesterday I open sourced BallisticNG after creating a tile based track system (just like how the original Wipeout games worked). This has been started as a new fresh Unity project and as I'm typing this I'm porting the physics over. It shouldn't be long until everything is back in place, repo is here for those who want to check it out. Right now on the repo some tools for changing tile and sections on the track are implemented. As for the track mesh itself, some documentation on what should be done for the tile generation will be up some time in the future. With this I will also be sticking to the PS1 style for the entire game, more information about it will be on my original post with a bunch more information about recent design changes.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    CJ4717

If there are any orthos or even concept art then I'd be willing to help out with modelling ships. Send 'em my way, I'll see what I can do. Like, even as a test to see what I could contribute.

Here's a closer look at the ones I did:
    http://imgur.com/a/YnSlG
    In order:
    MTech P1
    NX2000
    Protonic AG4

Is there pitch control in the game yet? Like the early wipeout games? Can you show the game in action again with a new video?