Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq Dricaldari View Post
    The computer voice would be a lot more useful if it actually told you what weapons were being used against you, to be completely honest.
    Doubt it since the only way to counter a weapon is to enable shield.
    It doesn't matter If computer say "Warning rockets" or "Warning quake" or gun or plasma, you just enable shield and if you wait too long to hear the message you gonna get hit anyway.

On a sidenote, previously I asked what kind of filter you enabled because it was screwing skins, for example places where texture was cut and then merged on a mesh would have white lines and everything would look very blurry at an angle anyway.
    Not sure whether you changed something but after the last patch problem disappeared and everything look nice and clean.
    I think some texture filter is still enabled but it doesn't produce heavy artefacts as before which is nice.

Cant wait for next patch, good work on the game, it actually feels and plays like a real Wipeout.
    Last edited by Wanzer; 6th December 2016 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanzer View Post
    Doubt it since the only way to counter a weapon is to enable shield.
    It doesn't matter If computer say "Warning rockets" or "Warning quake" or gun or plasma, you just enable shield and if you wait too long to hear the message you gonna get hit anyway.
    Not really. With nimble enough craft (G-Tek/Tenrai), you could try to avoid Rockets, Plasma or Cannon by strafing. And fast enough craft (Nexus?) could try to outpace Missile or maybe Tremor with Afterburner. That is, if you have enough time to react. That is why I opted for simple weapon names callouts as a warning system, ala W2097 - you do not have time for anything else if you want to evade anything.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Plus, a warning for mines. And of course...
    "Just when should I activate my Shield?"
    "Energy Drain, huh? Time for a Deflector!"

And then there's the factor of people coming from Other WipEout games; Wip3out and 2048 are the only games in the series (to the best of my knowledge) that warn you about which weapon you just picked up, rather than which weapons are being used against you... and games like 2097 and WipEout Pure/Pulse/HD are the ones that brought the most players to the series... and as such, most people playing BallisticNG are probably more familiar with the proper warning system. (It is worth noting though, that while Wip3out had a generic "Warning!", 2048 didn't have a warning system period)

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

0.6 has a weapon warning built into the HUD. Whenever you're warned of a weapon you'll see the icon of the weapon at the top of the screen next to your current pickup icon. You're wanred of weapons a bit earlier too so you get a bit more time to react to anything that's coming your way.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I rarely notice things on the HUD, though, since my eyes are usually drawn to what's in front of my ship. An option to enable a Weapon-Call audio warning would still be a nice thing to put in.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by shotfan View Post
    Ingame, go to Options/Audio. There is a Soundpack setting. You should be able to toggle your custom soundpack there.
    Yes, I've done it - do not work. Bug maybe ?
    Second thing - i want to completely disable those computer announcements, like there will be in-game switch to turn it of.

Hi guys, wanted to give you first impressions on V 0.6.1.

First thing first, I love new wall grinds, finally those collisions been improved to the point they dont cause you to flip your ship upon touching the wall and generally become much more manageable.
    Love new menus and as for now I havent had a CTD when browsing trough ships which happened previously with poly/texture heavy ships.
    New filtering made textures look nice and smooth and whole game look smoother as a result.
    Remade courses are looking and feel good, love those rain effects, while I wouldn't mind modern graphics, I think you really succeeded in making game look like a HD wip3out.
    Many people trying to imitate the look fall into trap of making everything look either too sterile or cant handle repeating tiles, you really did it well

Few small issues I encountered which are.
    Racing against other ships still have those weird fps dips while ships are tightly packed, once they spread on the track the game becomes bit more smooth, in general 7 AI brings fps down.
    Controls screen have "Quit" and "Save" button aligning with some of the controls so when you press "Quit" you edit "look back" button, if you dont have this problem it might be an issue of 4:3 screen format.

There are few more points I want to make but I'd like to play more before raising them.
    In general I like what you did with that patch, cheers.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

So I have few words to say too.
    First of all my "problem" with custom sounds gone since version 0.6 - i dunno if it is about version or i should reinstall game, but now computer voices are silent. Don't get me wrong, they are good, I just needed them to shut just for tests

Second thing - less pleasant. Current 0.6 version is unplayable because of many framedrops. Game can "freeze" for 100-200ms in random moments. Previous build was much better...
    You've broke something xD

Are those "freezes" appear only when you playing against AI?
    For me previous version had many such freezes small and large, current have much less freezes when playing against AI but once in a while I still crash in the wall just because the game froze for a moment.
    I tried to see whether it caused by AI picking/using/getting hit by weapon or something else but cant pinpoint it yet but, for me current version is still smoother.

This seems to be a consistent phenomenon. There was a major optimization change in between v0.6.1 and v0.6.2, and yert still, on the newest version I also experience this sudden small freezes, even in one-on-one races (there are now such, starting with KolaKorp grid). I thought it was because of my olde computer, but seeing your posts, it seems not to be the cause.

I have a theory, I think those freezes occur only when AI flies over a weapon pad and the more AI pilots fly over the weapon pad/pads simultaneously (or close to each other), the more severe freeze is.
    I just made a quick test and I think that's it, disable weapon pads and race against AI, fps is buttery smooth.

No idea how it works in game, I suspect some rng function but, maybe timer to prevent too many scripts for weapon pick up being run simultaneously could fix it.
    Although after a ship passes weapon pad, pad should be disabled for a while so not sure what script is run then.

In any case, its also consistent with my previous finding that framerate is better when AI is spread on a track, makes sense they dont run over same weapon pad/pads all at once.
    Last edited by Wanzer; 21st December 2016 at 06:24 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Yes, it's exactly as you said guys - freezes occurs when race against AI, or ship hit the wall and few others things. I've changed graphic settings from highest to lowest, and set frames per second to 30 (for gfx card drivers too) - nothing helped.
    The one small thing give a little game performance up - turning of the VSynch - in game and from drivers settings. But don't expect too much when you do this

It can't be graphics. The problem is CPU related. Most likely due to AI logic. We've already fixed a big problem with AI data destroying FPS before the 0.6 release, but since you still have problems I think these problems run much deeper.

PSN ID
    Pluslescute

Just wanted to pop in to say that this game has come a long long way, and I'm extremely impressed. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best post-Wipeout 2048 AG racing we've gotten (quite pretty, even), which is very impressive. The controls are spot on, and that's something even the Formula Fusion guys are having a ton of trouble with. Keep up the great work, guys! I look forward to seeing how this game continues to go!

Timezone
    GMT -6

I can't wait until this game can eventually make it to the Playstation 4.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Just gave the game a play today. It is extremely oldschool! Even down to the ping-ponging! I was wondering how much collision there is supposed to be with objects next to the track. I've been able to fly through walls and what not. I also have some criticism of the user interface. Currently after completing a time attack race the user has very limited options. You should add the option to jump to the track selection screen or the vehicle selection screen instead of booting the player back to the main menu all the time. Another criticism I have is concerning track design: I think it is too difficult to enter the pit areas. This is mostly caused by the fact you have them placed off the normal race line. It requires breaking or an extreme turn to make a pit entrance, and its easy to miss them. If my ship is low on energy (and about to explode) the last thing I want to happen is dying because of the maneuvering required to get into a pit area.

Timezone
    GMT -6

If I had a dime for every time I got killed trying to enter the pit lane in Wip3out...

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Ooooh, hello. Attachment 10524

Timezone
    GMT -6

Invalid link.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Well that's unfortunate. Perhaps the screenshot's far too large to embed correctly.

To imgur!

I'm still working on these, but I'm halfway through the roster already. They're all up on the Steam Workshop page now, and while they need some stat adjustments and better thumbnails (however I change those) they're very much flyable! Best suited to 2280 mode, though.

Edit: the link to my workshop page: no point telling you if I didn't link to it!
    Last edited by mdhay; 15th January 2017 at 01:25 AM.