Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

It's not really the shadow of the ship that bugs me.
    ballistic.jpg
    Look at the attachment. The area in the red square should be in the shadow and it's not. And when the ship will go forward, the zone will go in the shadow.
    It's not a big deal, it's just to share a feedback

EDIT : also, the time in the bottom left is going out of my screen. You think it's something wrong with my screen set up?

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Ah right, yeah that's because realtime shadows in any game are limited to a certain distance otherwise they will destroy the framereate. I need to build the lightmaps, only problem is that the new system Unity 5 has is stupidly slow because for building static lightmaps it's overcomplicated. I've actually had Unity sat here tonight building them when I've been busy with other things and it's taken 5 hours so far, this is on an 8 core processor running at 4ghz so you can imagine the frustration of this over the older lightmapper which would have done this in around 1/2 hour.

For the HUD cutoff, it's a scaling issue. I still need to get used to the scaling in Unity's UI tools, I'm looking to have that fixed soon-ish.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 25th April 2015 at 09:37 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

All right, many thanks for your answers

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

No problem

I'm currently adding new graphical features and optimizing stuff all over the place, I'll keep this post updated with what's going on.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 27th April 2015 at 02:59 AM.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Alpha 0.02
    Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d637pbro5...00.02.zip?dl=0

Alpha 0.02 is a bit of a graphics update to what already exists, I've tried to both make the game look better and make it run better. There are a few physics changes but nothing too much, the modern camera has been made a bit smoother too. For Jabberjaw, if you are not able to run this in the lowest then I will upload a version with only the track, only for this release though because having to build the game twice and upload it twice will be annoying after a while.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

The last vids look awesome !!!!
    I must try this when I'm back home

When you'll add weapons, don't go in too much weapons please. W3O had too much of useless weapons for example.
    My feeling :
    - boost
    - shield
    - missile
    - maybe rockets
    - mines
    - as you add counters for BRs and Hyperthrust, why not an item to give an additional BR and another to refuel 50% of Hyperthrust?

Thanks mate!
    Last edited by Temet; 27th April 2015 at 09:00 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Super Weapons?!?!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Recently ditched Windows on my pc to make the switch to linux.
    Just as a heads-up: the game works well under Wine.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Ok, tried new alpha.
    I really need to practice a lot, this is really fast
    I think I have some visual glitch I didn't see on the previous version, and it looks more ressource consuming (1080p is really not playable now).
    Also, I still have the "zoom issue". I don't have the same zoom as there is on your video. That's weird o_O'.
    I like the new musics.
    The sensations are really good!

It's running about 20-25 fps or so, better than before, but not great for testing.

Also, how do I get to the options screen with draw distance,etc?

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Press escape then it's the options button.

I'm going to be looking at the UI scaling so it works correctly on all resolutions, I'm hoping I can get it done without having to write my own scaling.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

I tried 720p and 1080p and in both cases the UI scaling was wrong.
    I can try things for you if you need

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Hopefully that shouldn't be necessary, I think I've realized what's going wrong so I'm fixing it now.

Technical things:
    The actual UI are children to 2 other elements, one is for scaling the entirety of the UI and one acts as a pivot so I can make the UI move around. The pivot doesn't scale, plus those two parent elements fill up the entire screen space. By reducing how much screen space they waste up and then moving all the UI elements (like the lap counter for instance) to the very edge of those, it should hopefully scale correctly.

EDIT: Fixed, the next version will have the fixed correctly scaling UI in. I've also repositioned a few things so everything lines up nicely.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 28th April 2015 at 09:12 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Awesome demo bigsnake! You are developing this very quickly!

Feature request: can the ship fish-tail out as much as the ships in 2097? To me 2097 was kind of like Sega Rally (around corners at least) but floating in the air.

With this remake, and a few others floating around, its an A-G funk era decked out with a gangsta twist, to quote Warren G.

There are options in the settings that can create this feel

Timezone
    GMT + 8

The game surely is really unknown to many, some 30 people knew it, but all of them are interested. I was wondering if I can do some advertising.

Posters that pay homage to the old Sarah Cox nosebleed ad of the original, for example a nosebleeding dude holding a game controller with the title Getting High: Now Toxin-free, Legal and Fast.
    Or if that's too offensive, how about something cheeky like: This game is so fast, it finished the race when you finish this sentence.

Marketing is key to get your game known, after all, no publicity is bad publicity, as they say. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Cool work!

Look forward to seeing this progress. Couple of things though: maybe you can save yourself and others some time if you make the audio pack separate from the demo? Looks like it could save 200MB from the download size. Also, is it possible to use something like github for releases? You've mentioned a lot of updates but since you're uploading builds through dropbox, newcomers to the thread might be confused when they can't actually find the latest build you're talking about, and the link to the latest build in the O.P. leads to a random post that has nothing to do with being a link to the latest build

Anyway, keep it up!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Done, link for the repository releases is here

Having the audio as a separate download from the demo sounds like a good idea, the songs did add 200mb onto the file size so that would help keep download sizes reduced as much as possible, thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by TheXTR09 View Post
    The game surely is really unknown to many, some 30 people knew it, but all of them are interested. I was wondering if I can do some advertising.

Posters that pay homage to the old Sarah Cox nosebleed ad of the original, for example a nosebleeding dude holding a game controller with the title Getting High: Now Toxin-free, Legal and Fast.
    Or if that's too offensive, how about something cheeky like: This game is so fast, it finished the race when you finish this sentence.

Marketing is key to get your game known, after all, no publicity is bad publicity, as they say. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Sure go ahead, once the game is in more of a "complete" state I'm going to be adding the project to IndieDB, but if you want to do anything before that then feel free!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Nothing special, but I thought anyone interested in programming might be interested to see what I've got for the physics so far. Here's a link to the ship physics code for those who might want to dive into it, it's messy and requires a bunch of other classes to be present to function, but you can see what's going on behind the physics with this. Anyone else who codes will probably want to stab me after seeing it, especially how I handle turning input right now (I really need to rework it so it works better with analog steering).

That aside, over the next few days I am going to start work on a new track. It will be much harder then the current track. I am also working on the menu slowly in the background, give it a few more test builds and the game will have a functioning menu where you can select one of the two available tracks that will be there and the speed class you want to race in. After that I'll start working on weapons and get all the main gameplay features in, then I can work on the AI and make them work for races then we'll be looking at a much more complete game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    Guys please, don't ask for the game to run on a 12 years old PC...
    Seconded!