Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Default BallisticNG - Wipeout fan project

Join us on Discord - we're on all the time!

DOWNLOAD
    Download Game
    Non-Steam Download (major releases only)
    Download Soundtrack

SOCIAL MEDIA AND OTHERS
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Itch.IO
    IndieDB
    Wiki

This is the thread where BallisticNG started! BallisticNG is a free love letter to the original Wipeout trilogy, you can find it on Steam using the links above. There is also a discord server if you want to talk with us directly.

About (steam description)
    BallisticNG is a free anti-gravity racing game that takes the genre back to basics and aims to deliver a similar experience to the original Wipeout games on the Playstation One. Coupled with the gameplay is an artstyle that seeks to completely mimic that retro 90s Playstation look with a few extras thrown in.

You are a pilot in the 2159 Anti-Gravity League and you can choose to race for a variety of corporations all looking to get their own outcomes from the race. The game comes with a large array of tracks with five increasingly fast speed classes. Each team is configured for different playstyles, all have their pros and cons and it’s up to you to find which one you like!

Features:
    • 14 tracks all in unique locations
    • 13 teams setup for different play styles
    • 5 gamemodes - Arcade, Time Trial, Practice, Tournament and Survival
    • A big arsenal of weapons to slow and damage your opponents
    • Cockpit view - each ship has a unique cockpit!
    • A soundtrack full of songs inspired by electronic music from the 90s and early 2000’s
    • Modding Tools - Custom tracks, custom ships, custom sounds, custom music, workshop support and more to come in the future!

Dev Branch
    The dev branch is a branch of the game on Steam which is updated nearly every day, sometimes multiple times a day. It's the best way to try out all of the latest additions and changes as they happen.
    To join the dev branch right click the game on Steam and then go to properties, the betas tab and then enter the password PsygnosisWereCoolGuys, click check code and if you entered it correctly then you'll be able to select Developer from the the dropdown menu. Once you've selected that branch the game will then update.
    Last edited by bigsnake; 3rd November 2016 at 10:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

this is really awesome thinking, unfortunately i cannot help coding, cause i don't know how to code. but i could help as a testpilot ;D
    i'll follow your project that's for sure. maybe Apple Guy Cipher can help with the coding, i think he's studying this kind of stuff. obviously i cannot spewk for him, but he's a nice guy so who knows...

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake View Post
    ...the original Wipeout games are now classed as abandonware
    No they are not. Sony holds the copyright for all Wipeout branding and content, including the original games. This is why the SSGX team had to remove their remake of Porto Kora from their game and cannot use ANYTHING from the Wipeout games.

This project has no intent to break Copyright
    A complete remake of a game without the copyright holders' permission IS a breach of copyright. At the very least you would need to make sure that none of the original names, logos or trademarks are being used.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Damn, sorry Hellfire my bad. I've amended the copyright section of the original post and added some more information about a few topics I hadn't mentioned. I should have worded it a lot differently then I did, apologies for that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

First of all, the product would be free and bigsnake won't focus on profits of any kind.
    Secondly if he remakes everything from scratch it would be his very own work.
    Third, in doubt change the name, put a simple space inbetween.
    Forth, Idk but are content part of the brand? Again, change names.
    Fifth, would Sony give a damn?
    Sixth, how many story elements do you bring in? May I could help you with that. (I can't do much coding though).
    Last edited by Jonny; 2nd April 2015 at 10:01 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    CJ_Denton

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    There have been some fan made remakes like this that have been shut down by the owners of the original IP,like Metal Gear or Chrono Trigger,so the possibility that Sony isn't okay with this kind of thing exists

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_Denton View Post
    like Metal Gear or Chrono Trigger,so the possibility that Sony isn't okay with this kind of thing exists
    Those are much larger franchises though, and with a new Metal Gear right around the corner it would understandably be in Sony's and Konami's best interest to try and get all the attention directed at the real game. You are very right though and there is the possibility Sony won't approve. Wipeout is a much smaller franchise that isn't exactly cashing in anything for Sony right now so the likelihood of them stopping this project would hopefully be much slimmer. If Sony see this project and decide they want to tell me no then fair enough, like I mentioned I'll rename the project and swap out anything that's copyrighted for original content. Unofficial remakes are definitely a large topic of controversy and I understood what could happen if I posted this thread.

Sixth, how many story elements do you bring in? May I could help you with that. (I can't do much coding though).
    Since I am quite weary of copyright I'm not looking to really make any suggestions about the story in the game, although if you can think of any alternative stories that could fit well then that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    this is really awesome thinking, unfortunately i cannot help coding, cause i don't know how to code. but i could help as a testpilot ;D
    Sweet! People who can test the game is always very useful, more useful then you might first think
    Last edited by bigsnake; 3rd April 2015 at 12:12 AM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

First of all, the product would be free and bigsnake won't focus on profits of any kind.
    Irrelevant, you don't have to be making money to be in breach of copyright.

Secondly if he remakes everything from scratch it would be his very own work.
    Unless his assets have a distinct likeness to the originals, then it is also a breach of copyright

Third, in doubt change the name, put a simple space inbetween.
    Nowhere near enough, names that bear a distinct similarity would also fall under copyright law.

Forth, Idk but are content part of the brand? Again, change names.
    If you mean things like track layouts, I'd imagine they would as the designs are owned by Sony. Less so if the environments are very different and the name is changed though.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I'm not willing to put this forum at risk on a gamble.

I'm not saying "don't do this" by any means, all I'm asking is that you make sure you aren't potentially treading on toes in the process, because ultimately the responsibility would fall on me for allowing this forum to be a hub for it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

I have seen a lot of unlicensed Formula One-inspired games where only one or two letters were changed in names.
    Include a name editor to the game, that's what Infogramms has done with their first Grand Prix game. False names and a in game name editor.

About the fanfic: It is good, but shouldn't a remake also contain the original canon.
    Last edited by Jonny; 3rd April 2015 at 10:44 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

WiiU Release - once Unity 5 gets native WiiU support, only once the final game is released
    Wait... Wii U release? Really!? I'd buy the outta that!

Also what does "NG" stand for? is it "No Gravity"?

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Hopefully, providing you won't need a WiiU devkit to get it on the WiiU I'll get it on there

NG is for Negative-Gravity, then ballistic is because the game will have a focus on weapons as well as straight up racing.

I thought the Ballistic part was to do with the projectile trajectory since ballistics studies the trajectory of objects affected by gravity, not weapons! Haha
    (hence why the first Wipeout had Ballistic Anti-Gravity Racing as its name, because the ships are still affected by gravity, on jumps and such)
    But bullets and missiles are ballistic objects so I guess you can relate it to weapons through that.
    Last edited by Xpand; 27th May 2015 at 02:56 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

So, we're talking about the game's title huh?

I had been suggesting Relapse for quite a long time, as it's a homage to Wipeout's original meaning: A wipe out from ecstasy intake. The "relapse" part is where we feel the need for another wipeout [game].

Cheeky, I know. It's like the Circle of Taking Drugs. nvr do druqs kidz

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Quote Originally Posted by TheXTR09 View Post
    I had been suggesting Relapse for quite a long time, as it's a homage to Wipeout's original meaning: A wipe out from ecstasy intake. The "relapse" part is where we feel the need for another wipeout [game].
    That's brilliant. You're brilliant. That perfectly defines the WipEout community right now while being "cheeky" about it. I think it would make a great title.