Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic NG - Wipeout fan project

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Let's cool down, everyone. Let's keep this thread positive and constructive!

Honestly, Ballistic-NG has me very very psyched. Almost as much as a new official game.

The fact that this is a community driven affair makes it feel special.

To that end, I've emailed IGN a few times in the past, trying to draw some attention to WipEout and its Spiritual Successors (they do, sometimes, cover fan games and the like after all), but have had no luck.

Worth a shot, at any rate.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Did you try paying them?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Quote Originally Posted by mdhay View Post
    Did you try paying them?
    No, silly me. I hadn't even thought of that! lol If I knew for sure that $5 would get some attention turned toward this game, I'd actually consider it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I remember that some time ago there was an initiative of creating a BNG styled icons and avatars for this forum. Is this still a thing? Because that would be great.

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    dreadofmondays

I'll look into it.

Timezone
    GMT -6

As soon as I can get my hands on a Savings/Checking account, I would totally donate to the cause.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

This Saturday is going to be the game's 1 year anniversary! I'm going to try and get a new build out for then, there's not much to do but I've been really busy the past 2 weeks so I'm behind where I want to be. I'll see if I can get what I want to include setup before then though it will probably end up with me releasing it later then Saturday,

Timezone
    GMT -3

Just please...remove that WO1 collision model. That kills it for me. Really. It's not cool to scratch a wall and go full-stop. The hit detection is somewhat wrong.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Funnily enough, I just read that the team behind WO2097 also had a hard time getting the collision detection right. They said something about that in the Retrogamer magazine featuring WO2097. Maybe that article helps?

It's not just a touch and stop, you scrape first, similar to 2097. He's not making the newer games, but trying to create the originals. The originals really rewarded perfect laps, as opposed to cramming the wall and still coming out fast. It looks very close to XL right now, which is perfect.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

You'll probably call me a crybaby, but I'm very unhappy about collisions too. In combination with collision damage I'm not able to finish Harpstone with Nexus on Spectre (2nd fastest type) in most cases. With other ships the damage is not that much of a problem for me. But if you stop on the spot from full speed in sharp turn when you hit the wall in aprox. 20° angle, it's not really pleasant. I'm not asking for the Formula Fusion physics, where you bounce off the walls with no speed penalty, but the current state is too annoying for me.
    And the collisions with other ships is something probably well known for you and I don't like it either. In this case it's harder to tweak, but I hope it'll be somewhat different as well.

I think the feel of older WO games is there, but some things are just better to change a little, even when you want to get close to the original.

Well, the energy thing I would think would be easy to fix. 20 degrees would have resulted in a " clunk " in wipeout XL as well. Pitching back gives a a wider area before you scrape. Are you using that technique?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    Well, the energy thing I would think would be easy to fix. 20 degrees would have resulted in a " clunk " in wipeout XL as well. Pitching back gives a a wider area before you scrape. Are you using that technique?
    You mean that if you are get into collision with one or more enemies it will suck your energy rapidly? I don't know how many people here played 0.3 (which isn't officially released) but in that version, the energy is no longer a big problem. The problem is that very often you can get under or sometimes over another ship and at most times there are more ships around you so you will get "trapped" in a clump of ships with no chance to get out of it without the clump getting somewhat dismissed. It's nothing that lasts for long time, I'm talking about 2-5 seconds of constantly bumping to others. I thing the biggest problem is mentioned "clumping" of enemies. But Snake told me that he gonna fix it. It's kinda unreallistic if you think about it considering the wide range of stats.

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

The wall collisions have been addressed somewhat, they weren't actually working how I intended. When you actually collide (not scrape) it's supposed to take your speed down and decrease your acceleration a bit, what was actually happening is it was just bringing your ship to a complete stop. It wasn't as bad as WO1 because your engine was still pushing you forward so you quickly gained speed again, but for a split second you would not be moving at all.

Currently working on modding tools, looking to have them in somewhat of a usable state by the end of the week. Here's a test of the track importer:

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

oh man, that is cool!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

@bigsnake been looking at the track (sorry forgot its name) with animated billboards and so on, truly impressive

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

Thanks! You're thinking of Aciknovae, those animated billboards were made by Dreadofmondays

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

More progress on the track importer! I got the hard part out of the way as soon as possible, which was packing all of the data for a track scene into a single file then reloading everything back out again. There's also an instant play mode so you can test the track on the fly.

Fantastic!

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Sweet!