Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Whoa now, I'm browsing Reddit and what do I behold, is that the game to scratch the racing itch since my leave from HD? I believe it is!
    Have to look at some finance numbers but all things good count on me backing this project! Best of luck in the development R8.

My reaction when Yooka-Laylee's Kickstarter is currently sitting at: £1,562,263: http://i.imgur.com/0hVp5gW.gif

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Hah! That gif is amazing, and perfectly sums up my thoughts on that kickstarter versus this one. I realize they may not have been aware of it's existance but I honestly think R8 should have waited until the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter was over, It is nodoubt seriously overshadowing our effort to restore AG racing. I am certian that a lot of money being thrown at Yooka-Laylee would have been thrown at R8 if the two kickstarters were not happening simoutaneously. Who knows? we could be at 80k right now if the timing wasn't so awful.

In other news R8 updated the "sneak preview"of pre-alpha gameplay on the kickstarter. It looks a lot the same as before but now we get a taste of the soundtrack as well (It sounds like Half-Life 2's soundtrack).

Honestly, after looking back on it, the way the craft stiffly hugs the track's surface actually feels alright to me. Remember: R8 is going for a realistic feel, and considering where we are with Electromagnetism and Quantum-levitation technologies today, this stiff track hugging flight style doesn't seem to farfetched to me.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I really wish I could be one of the people to back this up way more if I wasn't broke and in a bind lately.. I wish I could get one of those goodies! lol

EDIT: there I helped! Not by as much as I'd wanted, but being in the bind that I am I would say that I did well..

RE-EDIT: Oh damn! I'm the 900th backer! That's pretty cool..
    Last edited by Chill; 14th May 2015 at 05:48 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

We are at 1000 backers as of now exceeding 50k in pledges! Good progress!

For those who haven't hear this majestic stallion of a remake yet.

https://soundcloud.com/coldstorage/c...t-edm-mix-2015
    By the man Co​LDSTo​RAGE himself

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

How do you include add-ons to your reward bundles? Just add the said price to your pledge?

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

I remember R8 discussing on facebook that: along with fuel, the race craft in Formula Fusion also require liquid nitrogen... meaning they levitate using Quantum levitation. The stiff hugging of the track's surface is on purpose, there will be no air time in this game, as all quantum levitation works by levitating at an exact distance from the surface; never gaining or losing any air. I think it's cool how they are trying to look into the future and are asking the question "how is this AG thing most likely to happen?" and quantum levitation is their best bet right now. I like the direction, this has WipEout's soul, but it isn't WipEout, this is something different!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

While I appreciate a realistic approach, I don't think it should come at the cost of a less enjoyable feel. Floating is just SO much nicer, and frankly, if they are not aiming for a floaty feel, they should state that right away, since they are catering to a very specific, wipEout-loving crowd. If we don't get our floatiness, we are very unhappy, and I at least would feel cheated into funding this project by them playing on nostalgia, stating loudly that this is the spiritual successor to wipEout, and then delivering something that feels too different.

Plus, they are labelling this as an AG RACER. Antigravity is NOT quantum levitation. Sorry to be so meticulous about this, but this is something a true wipEout fan doesn't take lightly. I don't want F-Zero or ExtremeG or any other futuristic racing game, I want the spiritual successor to wipEout, and this is something not only defined by style and looks, but mainly by gameplay.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I don't want F-Zero or ExtremeG or any other futuristic racing game, I want the spiritual successor to wipEout.
    I get it. I'm just trying to sympathize with R8. At first they were using F1 inspired designs for the craft, everyone said they hated them and they changed it to look like WipEout. Now they are showing a track hugging physics and everyone (yes, me included, I would still prefer a new WipEout game) is now saying "Make it floaty like WipEout"

I just kind of feel like R8 is like "Guys, look at these ideas!" and everyones like "Nope! WipEout please!" I can't help but feel like we are pushing them around a little bit... Just me being paranoid I guess.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I see what you're saying, however, I don't think this is what's happening. I believe the early design we saw with crafts looking like futuristic F1 cars was before ex-wipEout devs got involved, and most definitely before tDR came on board. From what they are communicating, they want to create something that feels like good old wipEout in every possible way but the name. That's what their design says, that's what their Kickstarter pitch video says, and that's what I want to put my money into. They know very well which crowd they are attracting, and I think - I hope - they wouldn't call it the spiritual successor to wipEout if they didn't plan on recreating the feel.

Registered/delurked to post this: I asked about sideshifting and got a non committal answer back, attachment related.

sideshift.jpg

They say on the kickstarter page that they consider 1, 2097 and 3 to be the "pivotal versions" of the Wipeout series, but the prototype looks like the later games with it's join the dots speed pads, FOV change effect and craft physics which seem almost like Pulse in how strongly the craft is glued in position.

I'll wait until the last day of the kickstarter before I make a decision on whether or not I'll donate; hopefully by then they'll have decided what direction they want to take with the game, otherwise I'll just wait for post release reviews before parting with my money. I'm not going to optimistically throw my money at them while they themselves are still making basic design decisions.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

No need to wait. You can bet they are going to continue refining the game well after the Kickstarter is over. One thing is for certian: they are going for a classic WipEout feel. so if that sounds appealing to you, and you enjoyed 1, 2097, and 3, then you'll nodoubt like this.

Sideshifting will probably not be included honestly, nor will barrel rolling or absorbing. These things where only included in the later games, not the classics.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Plus, they are labelling this as an AG RACER. Antigravity is NOT quantum levitation.
    Personally I think they're pushing the 'lore' of the game harder than it really has to be. Not that that's a bad thing mind you, but it's really nothing to lose sleep over in my opinion.

I mean Wipeout was always pretty cryptic about the workings of the ingame universe - you had your teams and things like track names (from which you could infer which countries existed), you had the occasional namedrop here and there like the Belmondo family but it's never really in your face and is something you piece together after playing several games. How exactly the AG tech worked was never spelled out directly - that kind of presentation is fine too, it's science fiction after all.

As for the craft behavior looking a lot like the kind of quantum levitation using flux pinning we've seen in the real world, I think it's just a coincidence and that they do intend to aim for a more floaty, traditional Wipeout experience. I'd imagine craft physics are probably pretty tricky to get working right from a programming standpoint, they'll get there.
    Last edited by Stardragon88; 18th May 2015 at 04:46 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

I haven't been up to date at all on this project and just realised there was a kickstarter.

Is there any way I can get my hands on the early test versions now or am I too late and have to just pledge for the game on kickstarter and wait for the early access on steam? Pc game on kickstarter will include early access right?

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

These old bones cant wait to get involved

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Officially backed the digital download pack in the last 48 hours, even just the small updates to the kickstarter page have me pumped. Can't wait for the final product!

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    Yoshi1996

Ladies and gents I am pleased to announce that we have just hit the first stretch goal at 75k! Cheers everyone! Not a moment too soon!

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Awesome news yes

We are a small community and I feared we wouldn't even reach the initial stretch goal but I'm pleased to see there's still a lot of AG love out there.

OBH and el in the same thread, I've been transported back to 2009 Glad to see you guys!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib