Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD/Fury ship stats spreadsheet

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

^ You do not the pick the ship, the ship picks you, only then can the link between pilot and ship be truly established.
    And once they bond, they never grow apart, it is a bond that will last forever

Terra and Piranha
    Snake and FEISAR
    Apple and Harimau

You can see where I'm going

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

You guys stole my lines. I tried Piranha as a way to give other lesser experienced pilots a chance against me, and the game became interesting again because a new ship demands new adjustments, and new tolerances are exposed now - I found that getting air in a Piranha seems hard but is easy as anything one you know how.

A truly good pilot will get into any ship and enjoy the races. I stick with Piranha, because I just like the red and yellow fishy face and the arse end of it looks decent in game. Handles like a boat in a storm on phantom speed though, although a few races manages to tame the beast within and the piranha goes full on shark. It's ON then!

Now tell me about your ship.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

@ terra: piranha is not crap, it's still awesome for speedlaps. it's simply the best ship for bounce BRs (falling from great highs, bounce up, BR).

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Yes, very true... you can get a bounce anywhere there is a small bump on the track with a piranha, most people probably think that coz its a heavy ship it won't get lift... but a little SS or nose up is all it takes to get that lift and then its BR time.

And it's a bloody fast ship. Love the way you can bounce it off a wall and still maintain speed. That's handy when I get shot with a missile or something.

These were all the tweakables that we could alter on the fly during development without hassling a coder.
    There were additional hard coded parameters which were set in stone too.
    I remember we didnt adjust much for Fury, as we didnt have a huge amount of resources, I was working on other stuff, and I think I did the ship tweaks in a fairly short period of time. We knew we didnt have to tweak lots to get a slightly different feel, if you increase the engine power and acceleration but keep other values the same, you get the desired effect.

For those who remember the Triakis error in Pure, it was the Turning Falloff and Turning Gain of the Triakis that was incorrect, leading to it retaining more speed than intended through corners, which Foxy then cleverly wrote into the back story after we discovered the error

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    if you increase the engine power and acceleration but keep other values the same, you get the desired effect.
    That's really cool, so a little alteration to one or two aspects of the ships can give it a completely different feeling without having to do a overhaul on the coding. The physics you implemented into the game engine have always been top notch and has been clearly demonstrated with what you just said

I hope life has been treating you well Colin.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

So much win in this thread !!!

PSN ID
    bigsnake009

These were all the tweakables that we could alter on the fly during development without hassling a coder.
    There were additional hard coded parameters which were set in stone too.
    I remember we didnt adjust much for Fury, as we didnt have a huge amount of resources, I was working on other stuff, and I think I did the ship tweaks in a fairly short period of time. We knew we didnt have to tweak lots to get a slightly different feel, if you increase the engine power and acceleration but keep other values the same, you get the desired effect.

For those who remember the Triakis error in Pure, it was the Turning Falloff and Turning Gain of the Triakis that was incorrect, leading to it retaining more speed than intended through corners, which Foxy then cleverly wrote into the back story after we discovered the error
    I've been using the XML files to aid me in developing the physics for my game, it really is quite a nifty way of controlling parameters without having to touch any code! I'm interested, how did the turning falloff and gain cause the issue with Triakis in Pure? From what I can gather the falloff is set too high. The ship feels like it almost snaps back into a straight line if you stop turning, any visible torque left seems to just be created by the camera re-centering.

Its a long time ago but from what I recall you are correct, it was to do with how quickly the ship snapped in and out of turning, and thus enabled it to retain more speed when cornering due to the error.
    Its been a while but I think it was, you lose speed when turning, so this error caused you to be turning for a fraction less time, so you retained more speed.
    I've a full explanation somewhere on an old hard drive... somewhere.
    Possibly with the old pure stats somewhere too.

The effect is subtle, I mean really subtle. But then in the right expert hands, it will perform better than intended.

It annoyed me when we discovered it, because e took time and effort to balance all the Pure ships, and I think there were nearly 30 of them with DLC and all the extras, and I always took pride that we made them feel different but they were all in the same ball park performance wise, then we discovered the error (someone posted a comment on here about cornering quickly, that set me looking in the right area) and to see we'd ballsed up one ship was a pain.

@snakenator1 - life is treating me very well thank you !
    Still making games, getting to do things I've not done before, smaller teams, more projects, more pressure, but fun.
    Still get to see lots of the old team as well.
    I still work with Zico and Lee Wagner (exceptional graphic designer from Wipeout)
    And I see Linky, Nick Burcombe, Rippers, and a whole host of others regularly and keep in touch with many of those who I dont see too.
    Last edited by Colin Berry; 19th January 2016 at 07:44 PM.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Glad to hear live is treating you well, Collin!

All these insights into the making of these games is fascinating.

Also, have you seen Ballistic-NG yet? Those guys have really nailed the Wip3out look!

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I remember thinking "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE SL?" and then stared at my Piranha in confusion. MFW. utterly confuddled.

PSN ID
    u/EienZero (Reddit) / eien_override#9331 (Discord)

Default Tigron & Van-uber stats...

Man this is been of a huge help to me , I am working on a Text-based/PnP RPG and without this I would up ended up with completelly made up stats, and everyone of you who may try the game some day, would hate me, anyways do you know if there's a chance to get the Omega stats,or concretelly, the Tigron & Van-Uber relative ones to the HD version?

Also, one big question I still have about this spreadsheet, how does it relates/translates (in numbers) to the stats shown on the game (Speed/Thrust/Handling/Shield)???
    Last edited by EienZero; 5th March 2020 at 02:24 AM. Reason: adding up stuff