Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will the online servers stay alive?

PSN ID
    TheWalkingFroggy (PS4)

I am really worried for this. If some online server games start closing, maybe they'll shutdown other games aswell later. And, who knows, maybe when some years will pass, they'll close PlayStation Network access from PS3, forcing people to get a PS4. I really hope this will not happen!

PSN ID
    Marysh24

Quote Originally Posted by XxSuperRyugaxX View Post
    And, who knows, maybe when some years will pass, they'll close PlayStation Network access from PS3, forcing people to get a PS4. I really hope this will not happen!
    No! This would be REALLY unacceptable! D:
    I cross the fingers as well and hope this will never happen indeed! :/

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

The problem is that there would likely be some legal issues too. In the example I gave above, the community was a very small group, and the dev's admittedly just ran out of resources. In the case of greedy Sony, there would likely be some legal battle if someone did host it privately. Not only that, but you would need multiple servers to be able to hand all the requests from different regions.

Back in the good old days of TCP/IP, anyone anywhere could pretty much host a game, and still can today. But Wipeout uses different internet protocols to connect (as do most modern era games). It *might* be possible, but it wouldn't be near the scale of online play that it is now, and it still doesn't solve the problem of developers dumbing down games to appease casual gamers instead of respecting their loyal hardcore crowd. The only reason that WO has even stayed online this long is because of the relatively large and loyal fanbase. It is why they decided to use it as the experiment for the crossplay feature. However they disbanded the studio responsible for all of it in part because there was no longer any commercial appeal to the casual gamer market.

WO is hard. You have to want to love it to be any good at it. It is NOT a game for the so called "casual gamers" and trophy seekers. Despite trophy hunting likely being a reason that a lot of the most recent pilots have come around lately, the fact that it isn't a simple 3 hour platinum turns enough of the casual gamers away from it just as quickly. My worst fear is that there will be a new WO release, but it will be dumbed down to appeal to the Mariokart casual gamer type of experience (and don't get me wrong, I bought a Wii U for Mariokart 8, and I love it... but it isn't the same feeling I get when playing ANY of the wipeout games, period). The thing is that more and more developers are leaning towards the casual market because of the success of cell phone games and pay-to-play games because there is more money in it. So if there is a 1st party release, it won't be nearly as good as anything that Firesprite will come up with. Just think about it a minute... in the world of DLC's and Season Passes, would you really want a Wipeout game that you had to spend extra money to fully enjoy? The fury DLC was almost an entire game's worth of content, but that was before DLC started ruining modern gaming. I don't think future releases will follow the traditional paradigm.

Simply put, the uniqueness of the fanbase is both WO's salvation and destroction. We as a community are still playing games that were released years ago. We as a community will hold on to it as long as it is possible. We also buy new consoles just for this game (at least a lot of us did, I got PS3 for WOHD, and a Vita for 204. Unfortunately, we make up a tiny portion of sales. Sony isn't going to listen to a handful of consumers, but at the same time the motivation by such loyal fans has led to Firesprite's creation, and could possibly lead to private servers in the future (though I wouldn't count on it).

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Then there's us Aussies who attempt to play during the day...

h20AwVk.jpg

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I hear ya bruv. Same here in the US. To parody a cheesy crappy song from the 80's:

Conzio said, Do you race in the land down under?
    Online races have become a blunder,
    No pilots will ever feel my thunder,
    Of my skills in a ship that hovers.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    TrueEndurance

I wrote a whole thing but something happened and it didn't post. I'll say this.. The WO series is one of my favorites of all time. I dream that it has a future and that Firesprite might somehow take it over and continue it on the PS4. Since WO is a relatively simple game (content wise) I think DLC would be a good way to keep it up. It could just be tracks/ships/skins and new campaigns. I would gladly pay for WO DLC. Variety can be a good thing with a game like WO, especially with tracks. Either way, the game can never really die. YouTube is a good way to keep it going. It may not be online racing, but it can still be a way to compete. There is Slipstream though. And as soon as that's finished we do have an alternative that can hopefully keep at least those of us who love the series going. I don't know what will happen though; until then I hope for the best for WO.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Jezoes666/LsDre86

I think l'm going to cry if they get the servers offline, WO is the only game l play online and to be honest l think it is fun to interact with the racers from different country's. Don't have much trouble with finding races though here in the Netherlands.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

^Same here, used to play a lot more online (Borderlands), but now only wipeout or some game sessions with friends on Steam (Don't Starve Together is Amazing FYI)

But, some reasoning, they said they are shutting down a couple of games because they need the server bandwidth, which makes me reason, Wipeout isn't such a big community, so the impact on server performance shouldn't be that big either, it's like when your computer is running out of resources (CPU or memory) You check which ones are hogging up the most and see which one of those you can shut down first, no? That's my thoughts, so mibi they'll stay a bit longer than we might think

On another note, Farmotoresgrilisz now also hosts online phantom single races from time to time, seems to fill up some lobbies as well from time to time ^^

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Hopefully Wipeout will be one of those programs that is so small it is hardly recognizable and continue to slip under the radar.

I've never seen Farmotorgilliz do anything but Elim. Are you sure he races now? I guess he got tired of no one joining Eliminator lobbies. Is he any good at racing?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

He's not that great, but who cares, he's putting effort into it and practicing when he does, keeps hosting even if he never really wins and comes behind quite a few seconds, basically, he's playing to play, not to win, so he/she gets my respect, there's few pilots out their nowadays, instead of playing to win, just play for fun ^^
    But yes, he is hosting phantom from time to time now, also still eliminators though, bad timing on your part i guess

Cipher